What's the difference between SVE and Astro's visual pack. I'm having trouble deciding.

Arco123

Which is better looking?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Which is better looking?

• SVE
    • Astronomer's Visual Pack.

SVE- Stock Visual Enhancments only affects the "Stock" systems, and from what iv'e seen is a bit less performance intensive.

AVP- Astronomer's Visual Pack can be used in conjunction with added systems, but not without a configuration made for it (Most mod systems have one made by the creator themselves or the community). And will absolutely eat any hardware you throw at it without any hesitation; it's one of the few times where i saw increased performance by forcing Crossfire for KSP.

Now for the catches; SVE actually can work with other systems since it has code making it compatible with Scatterer and Kopernicus. Indeed it's often used as a performance alternative to AVP, but just like AVP will require configs for this. AVP also is pretty tuneable, so much of the performance can be clawed back by reducing textures and other methods.

Both are fantastic, and which one you use should be really decided by the strength of your hardware, the mods you decide to shovel into memory along with your own personal preferance. They aren't intercompatible, so choose wisely.

For the more subjective side of my post i do think AVP looks far better, but only after a certain point. When i ran it with more conservative settings closer to "Medium" for stock KSP; it just didn't "pop" the same way. While SVE seems to look rather good even when settings are cranked way low.

1 hour ago, Incarnation of Chaos said:

SVE- Stock Visual Enhancments only affects the "Stock" systems, and from what iv'e seen is a bit less performance intensive.

AVP- Astronomer's Visual Pack can be used in conjunction with added systems, but not without a configuration made for it (Most mod systems have one made by the creator themselves or the community). And will absolutely eat any hardware you throw at it without any hesitation; it's one of the few times where i saw increased performance by forcing Crossfire for KSP.

Now for the catches; SVE actually can work with other systems since it has code making it compatible with Scatterer and Kopernicus. Indeed it's often used as a performance alternative to AVP, but just like AVP will require configs for this. AVP also is pretty tuneable, so much of the performance can be clawed back by reducing textures and other methods.

Both are fantastic, and which one you use should be really decided by the strength of your hardware, the mods you decide to shovel into memory along with your own personal preferance. They aren't intercompatible, so choose wisely.

For the more subjective side of my post i do think AVP looks far better, but only after a certain point. When i ran it with more conservative settings closer to "Medium" for stock KSP; it just didn't "pop" the same way. While SVE seems to look rather good even when settings are cranked way low.

So, what settings should I look for and decrease in AVP. I've got a okay PC GTX 1060 3gb and I run AVP at 20-30 fps but where can I improve in the gameplay settings?

Also which one should I choose? AVP 4k or 8k for performance.  I'm doing a cinematic series so 30 fps is fine but I don't want any stutters and slowdowns. 

Edited by Arco123

17 hours ago, Arco123 said:

So, what settings should I look for and decrease in AVP. I've got a okay PC GTX 1060 3gb and I run AVP at 20-30 fps but where can I improve in the gameplay settings?

Also which one should I choose? AVP 4k or 8k for performance.  I'm doing a cinematic series so 30 fps is fine but I don't want any stutters and slowdowns. 

Lower resolution textures increase performance, so 4K > 8K. As for other settings; look at cloud height, AA and others. If you're using KSP's AA you could even increase performance by forcing AA from your GPU drivers control panel

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.