Updated to 1.8.1 - suffering from screen tearing.

Hi all,

I've just updated from 1.7.3 to 1.8.1. The game is suffering with awful screen tearing. I removed all mods and even downloaded a fresh install without any improvement. It even does it on the menu screen and in the VAB, and is very noticeable. I have a very good system and didn't have any trouble with 1.7.3 with quite a few mods installed.

The only thing I noticed is the game is now running D3D11 whereas it was running D3D9 before. Could this be the cause of the problem? I don't see any other threads mentioning it so I have no idea where to start looking for the cause.

Any help would be much appreciated.

1 hour ago, Turbo Ben said:

Hi all,

I've just updated from 1.7.3 to 1.8.1. The game is suffering with awful screen tearing. I removed all mods and even downloaded a fresh install without any improvement. It even does it on the menu screen and in the VAB, and is very noticeable. I have a very good system and didn't have any trouble with 1.7.3 with quite a few mods installed.

The only thing I noticed is the game is now running D3D11 whereas it was running D3D9 before. Could this be the cause of the problem? I don't see any other threads mentioning it so I have no idea where to start looking for the cause.

Any help would be much appreciated.

same thing here

1 hour ago, Cochise said:

same thing here

@Turbo Ben@Cochise Can you give us the log file (the log file is in the program files, KSP.txt). Also, some screenshots would be helpful.

Without any logs it's hard to guess, but 1.8 switched to DX9 to DX11, do your computer support it?

Edited by DunaManiac

On 1/3/2020 at 9:33 PM, DunaManiac said:

@Turbo Ben@Cochise Can you give us the log file (the log file is in the program files, KSP.txt). Also, some screenshots would be helpful.

Without any logs it's hard to guess, but 1.8 switched to DX9 to DX11, do your computer support it?

Thanks for the reply. I tried forcing d3d9 but it didn't seem to work, so I've gone back to KSP 1.7.3. I'll stick with that for now as I'll need to wait for Kopernicus to update anyway.

I can't see why my computer wouldn't support dx11. I'm running a 7700k overclocked to 5GHz with an RTX 2070 and 16Gb RAM.

I'm fairly sure it's dx11 causing the problem. I've found a few cases where people have seen screen tearing with other games. Running a full screen window seems to be one cause, which was what I was doing, but changing it didn't help.

On 1/6/2020 at 8:46 AM, 5thHorseman said:

Have you checked if vsync is enabled? I'd try whatever it isn't now.

Most graphic cards handle vsync outside of the game, so I've seen problems where vsync in the game is conflicting with vsync on the card, and causing tearing.

Hi, I've had another go at installing 1.8.1 and the v-sync setting does solve the problems with screen tearing. I don't have V-sync monitors so I had turned v-sync in the game off.

Thanks for the help.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.