Kello Kerbonauts!

spock19

Hi guys,

I'm new here. I had played this game in tha past with not much progress. I've started playing again with some difficult mods like Unkerballed start, remote tech, etc. I'm looking for ways to get into orbit in early game. I have unlocked the tech tree (which is modified by Unkerballed mod) till 4th level.

Any ideas?

Khanks!

Welcome to the forum @spock19.

In the vanilla game a 2 stage rocket is the way I usually do my first orbit. The design really depends on how much payload you want to get to orbit so the lower the weight of your final stage, the smaller your rocket will need to be. Usually my first stage uses a swivel - powerful and optimised for low altitude, this engine has 'gimbal' and will help your rocket stay on course, the second stage uses a terrier - a much less powerful engine but far more efficient at high altitude. If you are going unkerballed and playing career, remember to add solar panels, an antenna and a temperature gauge. This will allow you to fulfil future 'science from space above kerbin' contracts for free.

Finally achieved orbit! I made a plane and collected some science (Which was a struggle with FAR and a mediocre runway, landing still is a struggle). Then I researched nice reaction wheels in the tech tree and hauled a probe into orbit. It was fun! Looking forward to more...

Thanks @Vanamonde, @James Kerman and @Saturn5tony for your welcome and suggestions!

Edited by spock19

6 hours ago, spock19 said:

I'm thinking of installing this mod and restarting the game:

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/181013-ksp-181-probes-before-crew-pbc-version-28/

Do you know an any other mods besides this which work like Unkerballed?

Have not tried PBC, but thanks for that tip. Ill try it soon and Unkerballed is great. Me (still being very knew with KSP) I have done the kerbalism 3.1 mod and Kerbal Construction Time. Both of these make me feel what it would be like to actually do space at Nasa or SpaceX. They can test your ability tho to put up with issues like keeping your kerbals alive, watch out for radiation and food, Reports and EVA times and failures, put up with rebuilding your launchpad and the times it takes to do stuff. To me that approaches what it would like to be an astronaut or dare I a real Kerbonaut! lol

Keep in mind tho, I am on 1.8.1 so if you are as also, be careful of the older ones that have not been updated yet.

Also check out Mike Abin on youtube. Man he is great, still doing stuff (unlike Scott Manley ATM) an is a math teacher too. Just put up a new vid the other day. He does the ones mentioned above.

Edited by Saturn5tony