Which features will you forgo for an early release?

Which features are you willing to forgo for early release?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Which features are you willing to forgo for early release?

• 1 or 2 solar systems
    • Multiplayer
    • Fast (not laggy) physics engine
    • Minimum Krakens (Stable physics engine)
    • No, I will wait till the end of the world for full release.

Let's say, hypothetically speaking, Star Theory is unable to deliver the game in 2020 due to issues, but they are able to release an early version (which can be upgraded to full version later for free) of the game that is without some key features. Which features are you willing to forgo for early release in 2020?

Also, I am not Star Theory.

Edited by Xd the great

I voted "Multiplayer" because I have no plans to play that way so if they said "Hey Multiplayer was too hard and we're releasing now because it'll probably take another year to sort it all out" I'd be happier than sad.

But really I don't want the game to lack any feature when it releases.

7 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

But really I don't want the game to lack any feature when it releases.

Early releases to prevent the hype train going into hyperspace. I do hope that they can release it full, but I'd also like an early version if things are taking too long.

13 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

I voted "Multiplayer"...

I thought about it, but then decided that I really want multiplayer in at release time.

Mainly, because the forum will be a much more bearable place if we don't have a bunch of threads about not having multiplayer.

45 minutes ago, razark said:

Mainly, because the forum will be a much more bearable place if we don't have a bunch of threads about not having multiplayer.

I really don't think it will matter, it will go sideways either way.     :D

I personally as a player could do without MP, but understand the public push for it.    But I'll be really disappointed if they do release without having a solid game.  I've been playing this game for long enough that an extra 6 months to a year wait for the sequel won't bother me at all.    I haven't paid for a thing yet, they don't owe me anything yet, I'm not getting bent out of shape if they wait to make it right. 

I'll forgo the game as a whole; i'd rather them delay than ram a half-cooked game down the throats of an already suspicious community. With that all said; what i would like to see is a Preview/Beta/Debug build handed out to the modding community several months in advance. Along with whatever SDK's and utilities they need bundled alongside it; easing the transition of the various modders and incredible community members would be the #1 thing Star Theory could do to relax suspicions in my eyes.

Though they'd need to sign an NDA more than likely, so this could've already happened and nobody but the selected recipants and Star Theory would know. But i think it would also be nice for making the best of a bad situation; PR could spin it as such and not look too bad in the process.

Oh but i forgot i was on Earth for a minute there, and the current year is 2020.......so none of that has a chance of remotely happening. My initial point stands; i don't want a release until it's finished. No Pre-Orders, Early Access or any other garbage; i have plenty of mods to explore in KSP 1 in the meantime. Though on a side note i feel the only reason we'd see a release instead of a delay in this situation would be 2K being 2K.......

9 hours ago, razark said:

8 hours ago, Gargamel said:

I really don't think it will matter, it will go sideways either way.     :D

I was thinking the same thing. If there is no multiplayer, there will be 1000 threads about how much that sucks. If there is multiplayer, there will be 1000 threads about how much something else sucks.

Development updates would be nice. 
as for what features to forgo for an earlier release... all I have to say about that is I hope it takes years to release just to teach you guys some patience.

I don't want any early release, except for the possibilities for commentary, feedback, and then modification.  None of this encouraging the practice of releasing rushed, incomplete games. Especially not if they can afford the development time,  and can avoid any "crunch time"; 

I wouldn't mind a beta test phase obviously, perhaps even at a lower price (like $20-$30), to which then that price is subtracted from the price of the full game on release for those who had opted in.

This would allow the community to play sooner, inspire further hype/outreach, help further funding, speed up bug finding, help those who dont want a bug ridden game avoid one, and T2 still reaps the full cost of the game from us for profit.

Sounds like a win-win-win to me... players are psyched, studio speeds along development, and publisher makes good money.

Also, this would help ensure more buyers as people who might be hesitant to pay $60 for a game might be more inclined to to purchase at a 30 then 30 or 20 then 40 rate

Also, the modding community could start preparing mods before actual release happens

The only way this would be seen as a downside is if the product is utter crap (doubt it), to which then it's found out early and no one gets scammed.

And if there is a worry as to people buying the beta and not the full game still, leave certain parts out that are core to mid game or late game to incentivize us to purchase the full game or put a DRM in (yup I asked for a DRM... wow 2020 is a weird year) that gets taken out for the full release as they promised one wouldn't be in it

Edited by mcwaffles2003

If anything I want multiplayer before the modding community catches up with new and intresting ways of balancing the game or make it more challenging, so I can have a vanilla run with my friends without arguing for which mods we want.

I'd be prepared to take a hit on graphics, textures, complex lighting and shading, water effects, ground effects, etc. Though I recognize that this won't speed up development much, as graphics tends to be a separate task stream from game code. At least on larger teams.  And a lot of effects stuff is handled by the engine and not built in house.

Get the engine right and that includes Multi-player as a way of keeping the engine people focused on efficient calculations and robust state. Also engine needs to be able handle 2 solar systems from get go as well.

So not sure anything on the list can be cut as it is needed to be play tested to make sure engine is ticking along correctly and fit for the ongoing purpose of the game.

Maybe the interface can be only active in beta mode but even that seems problematic.

I'm not voting - but I want to say if I saw an early release without multiplayer that would worry me.  Not that I have any interest in multiplayer, it's just that multiplayer is one of the selling points and for something like KSP it needs to be built in from the initial design stages - so if they were trying to add it on at the end, they obviously would be doing something wrong.

That said, none of the options really fit me, in my opinion.

Edited by DStaal