Australia is on fire

guesswho2778

I... dont usually post stuff like this, but since, i want to help but dont have any money to donate, i thought i would spread this video as much as i could

this youtuber has set up three go fund me's for the:

NSW rural fire service

https://www.gofundme.com/f/australian-bushfire-fundraiser-nsw-fire-service

Australian Red Cross Society

https://www.gofundme.com/f/7hkvh-australian-bushfires-emergency-fundraiser

and the world wildlife fund

https://www.gofundme.com/f/australian-bushfire-fundraiser-animal-wellfare

im sorry if giving out links like this is against forum rules but, at the moment i have bigger things to worry about than a warning from a forum

if you can donate, please dontate

if you cant, please spread this video around if you can.

thank you, and i wish the best of luck to any fellow aussies who have been affected by these fires and all the firefighters (MOST OF WHO ARE VOLUNTEERS) who are sacrificing much to fight the fires

im gonna go cry now... bye

Edited by guesswho2778

Not an Aussie, but I commiserate with you and your [political opinions, bleeep, political opinions] PM who denies climate change.

Also, as this is a real thing and not 'political, ideological or religious', it shouldn't violate 2.2B.

Edited by fulgur

Apparently many of the fires were in fact set by people (happens here, too, who would do that?).

In addition, I read that the Aborigonies used to routinely burn areas to prevent this sort of thing. We have similar issues now in the US (I live in forest fire country). Much of it is in fact a land use issue. Natural fires (lightning) occur all the time, and tend to mostly burn fuels under the canopy (or brush fires here in NM away from the mountains, which I think is similar to parts of Australia). When fires are fought, however, those fuels (dead trees, branches, etc) build up such that when a fire does start, it's not a low-intensity fire burning under the trees, it cooks the trees dry, then burns them as well.

CA is a prime example---Sequoia trees have pine cones that require fire to open. Fire burns the underbrush, the trees drop new seeds, and spread. In the modern world, with homes close to forests, all fires get fought, leaving fuel in the "saved" areas, and burning the rest to the ground.

im pretty sure a lot of trees down here dont need that much fire to set alight due to the, highly flammable eucalyptus oil in eucalyptus trees

on the plus side the leafs off of a eucalyptus tree is excellent (camp)fire starting material, dry and (i think) fresh off the tree!

Edited by guesswho2778

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.