The Resurrect a Dead Challenge Challenge

@Lithobrake made an interesting comment in the Thread of the Year discussion (won by the most worthy @ManEatingApe for his excellent Kerbal Catapulting chaos.) Lithobrake wondered about selecting a challenge of the decade.  @RealKerbal3x noted the difficulty in doing so in that one would have to go back through all the challenges, and that got me to thinking....What are some great, forgotten gems in the challenge archives?  What can our collective memory and searching pull out from the past?

So, with that in mind, the challenge is simple:

Nominate a challenge from those on this forum that you think should be brought back from the dead.

Let's say we let this run for a few weeks (maybe 4), and then at the end, we collate all the suggestions and put them to a vote. The top 3(?--tbd) will be declared undead and the participants in the forum need to commit to at least one.

So, rules:

1. The challenge must be at least a year old. No 2019 challenges.  

2. Having said that, I see no reason that the new DLC could not possibly be factored in to an old challenge to keep it fresh (this can be discussed)

3. Each participant can nominate no more than two challenges. Don't be frivolous. Make sure they are achievable and truly classics in some way or another.  They do not need to have been popular, just worthy.

4. Write a brief explanation of why the challenge deserves to be run again.  This is not an essay, just a few key reasons and/or explanations (but you can be loquacious if you wish).

5. Make sure you provide a link to the challenge.

6. Don't nominate old challenges that are still active  (ie Dres Awareness) or that have already been resurrected: (ie. Caveman challenges and variants).

7. Bear in mind the original challenge author may no longer be active on the forum, so we may have to police ourselves as far as rules go.

8. I'll routinely go through posts and create a "leaderboard" of nominations with links. At the end, I'll make the list into a vote (or a set of votes) and we'll see how we go.

9. If you happened to participate in the challenge you nominated, feel free to post photos or video of your attempt if you have it.

10. I won't make this a rule, but rather a suggestion: challenges that do not require specific mods are probably better bets. That does not mean they have to only be 100% stock, but rather that folks running stock only can participate in a meaningful way.

11. You only get two nominations, but feel free to argue passionately (and always politely) about other's nominations. 

PS. Thanks @Lithobrake, @Gargamel and @RealKerbal3x for the inspiration.

My 2 nominations are...

SSTO to laythe and beyond by @panzer1b

Description

Build a spaceplane that can reach Laythe in a single stage, and optionally, return to Kerbin or visit other celestial bodies. The first challenge I ever entered and still fondly remember.

Why should this be run again?

• It's a natural evolution of the ever popular K-Prize challenge thread for space-plane builders who want to really challenge themselves.
  • It encourages players to really improve and hone their space-plane skills.
  • There's a really detailed and fun points system to encourage folks to try different approaches and go the extra mile.

Ōsumi Challenge: Get to orbit, SRBs only, totally unguided by @Snark

Description

Launch a ship to Kerbin orbit, completely unguided using nothing but SRBs.

Why should this be run again?

• Incredibly original and well thought out challenge with a fascinating real life backstory.
  • There are new SRB parts available since this challenge was last run (Shrimp, Mite, Pollux, Clydesdale and Thoroughbred).
  • There are new Breaking Ground parts (especially the KAL-1000) that would add a new dimension to this challenge
Edited by ManEatingApe

I've not decided on challenge #2 yet but my first is "The Test," a very quick and interesting challenge that was bogged down by a bad name and some undeserved but (I expect) intended-to-be-fun in-your-face wording about if you were "good enough" to complete it.

The really interesting part of "The Test" was that you got ONE CHANCE. In your entire life. No saves, no reverts, no retries, EVER. If you succeed, you win. If you fail, you don't and never take the challenge again.

Also, I beat it :D

On 1/10/2020 at 4:25 PM, 5thHorseman said:

I've not decided on challenge #2 yet but my first is "The Test," a very quick and interesting challenge that was bogged down by a bad name and some undeserved but (I expect) intended-to-be-fun in-your-face wording about if you were "good enough" to complete it.

The really interesting part of "The Test" was that you got ONE CHANCE. In your entire life. No saves, no reverts, no retries, EVER. If you succeed, you win. If you fail, you don't and never take the challenge again.

Also, I beat it :D

I like it. I've spent a lot of time with planes and only started noodling with rockets again recently. I would certainly find this hard.

My one vote is for this great challenge by a poster who basically made one post and never did anything else on the forum.

Description

The title pretty much explains it.

Why it should be run again

It is quite difficult to do this well.   SSTOs are hard anyway, and to make one that is a viable sub is a whole other order of design.  While there are really no rules, I set for myself that I could not shed parts and that the SSTO needed to be able to land back in the water and revert to submarining.  I got to space, but always ran out of oxidizer before I could circularize my orbit.  @AeroGav and @Scarecrow were the only two that truly managed it.

On 1/11/2020 at 3:44 AM, Klapaucius said:

My one vote is for this great challenge by a poster who basically made one post and never did anything else on the forum.

Description

The title pretty much explains it.

I meant to do this one, but first I got sidetracked with a few other challenges and then my computer started disliking KSP. I have a new PC now, but I haven't finished setting everything up yet. Maybe I'll give this one a go now.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.