KSP Loading preview Rockomax Conglomerate RE-M3 "Mainsail"

St4rdust

Honestly, I'm really not sold on this one. The Skipper was pretty good, but this... it just doesn't feel right to me. The tank-butt/mounting bulkhead is even larger and looks more obnoxious to build around than it was before, the throat feels too narrow for an engine that's supposed to be a high thrust sea level booster (exactly the same problem the old poodle had, which we completely revamped the entire look and feel of in order to fix, but reversed), there's not a lot going on on the cowling that is presumably covering all the interesting mechanical bits (the Skipper has some detail to look at, with its handful of assorted of pipes and whatever the white ball is, its not much but it doesn't need to be and it looks interesting), it lost the yellow manifold on the bell, which was one of the more visually distinctive little details on what may be one of the more iconic engines in the game in my opinion (even if it was a minor detail of odd color choice and ambiguous function). Maybe I'm nit-picking. Maybe I'll get use to it over time, find some endearing qualities I'm overlooking now. I just... I feel some need to have it stated that on first glance, gut reaction, I'm not a big fan of this particular rework. It is nice though that it has a heat emmisive, a color option (though, personally, a bare variant would be preferable), and I'm partial to the little banding details on the inside of the bell, so, there's that at least.

Edited by Shamash

8 minutes ago, Shamash said:

it lost the yellow manifold on the bell, which was one of the more visually distinctive little details on what is may be one of the most iconic engines in the game in my opinion (even if it was a minor detail of odd color choice and ambiguous function)

I feel like that was effectively replaced by the dual exhaust pipes on opposite sides of the bell, features with clearer, more realistic functions.

Maybe those pipes' hues could be moved slightly more toward yellow as a callback?

I feel like the engine revamps lately have been getting more simplistic and of a lower effort... like, some of the Making History engines (that aside from their logical flaws) at least had some visual interest and a good balance of greebling on them. 

RE-I2_Shrouded.png

This was work done years ago. Engines are the lifeblood of the part catalogue in KSP and they should look like rocket engines. Granted, some first stage motors often have cowling/boat tail shrouds for aero reasons but there is so much more that could be done to inject some visual interest into the part. Make the shroud a hollow shroud and show the internal plumbing; this would also allow for the gimbal to be visually identified and show it working within the shroud.

LzdJf64.png

This whole identified region, I have no idea what's going on here. Is this the level that the design team is striding for from here on out? Previously we had some promising pieces coming out like the bare variants of the Ant and Spider engines that had increasing visual interest (albeit of a slightly different style due to the increased detail level) but this and the Skipper revamp almost seem like its going backwards the other way. 

I hope all the feedback is listened to. Seems a lot of opinions are being made about this.

I know the art guys put a lot into these engine revamps, but I can't help but echo some of the other thoughts here that these are far too simplistic in there design. I look at the new Skipper and this Mainsail and my first thought is:

"Made by Fisher Price, for ages 3 and up"

1 hour ago, Poodmund said:

LzdJf64.png

This whole identified region, I have no idea what's going on here. Is this the level that the design team is striding for from here on out? Previously we had some promising pieces coming out like the bare variants of the Ant and Spider engines that had increasing visual interest (albeit of a slightly different style due to the increased detail level) but this and the Skipper revamp almost seem like its going backwards the other way. 

I hope all the feedback is listened to. Seems a lot of opinions are being made about this.

It reminds me of the back side of a horse....or...it's wearing pants! :huh:

Really Squad?  The new SKipper looks gorgeous, but the new Mainsail, heck no, it looks awful. I thought you were going into details now? This looks way too simplistic. No pipes, no turbopumps...  just a cover. If you wanted to copy the Vulcain engine, do it properly at least...

Compare with the old version, the old one seems more detailed by comparison.

Edited by Quoniam Kerman

2 minutes ago, Quoniam Kerman said:

If you wanted to copy the Vulcain engine, do it properly at least...

The Vulcain is pretty much a bad inspiration for the Mainsail engine in KSP as the Vulcain is primarily a sustainer for the Ariane 5 and provides relatively low thrust:

It powers the first stage of the Ariane 5 launcher, the EPC (Étage Principal Cryotechnique, main cryogenic stage) and provide 8% of the total lift-off thrust[15] (the rest being provided by the two solid rocket boosters).

The Mainsail is a workhorse lifter for many craft in KSP and it would be a disservice to not give it the love, attention and esteem that the community hold it to.

If you are looking for feedback over this proposed mainsail @squad I would say it needs improvement, to me it looks worse than the original, though its an interesting look that might work for something else in the future 

Why would you do this. It looks worse, it looks plain, and boring. It has been stripped of detail.

I am so hoping KSP2 sticks with actual polished versions of the old designs.

Edited by Tw1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.