Community Space Station Challenge

Greetings everyone,  and welcome to another Community Space Station challenge by the name of the 'World Space Station'. A special mention to @KerbonautTKM for coming up with this idea.  The goal of this challenge is like the previous community space stations, which is to build one large space station on one save file (link below). Feel free to build any module you want and as many as you want!

DOWNLOAD THE GAME SAVE HERE

So to start of, here are the rules:

-No DLC 

-No Mods

-No cheats

-You have to use KSP version 1.8.1

-One module per mission

-Leave a docking port open for others

-Please post pics!

With that out of the way all you have to do is download the game file and put it into the saves folder. Then design your module and dock it to the space station!

I have already built the first module, and it is in a equatorial orbit with a Apoapsis of 150 km and Periapsis of 150 km. It has several free docking ports.

Have Fun!

http://VvbzSU1.png

Here is my mission log of the launch of the first module. It took several tries and several kerbals to get this giant of the ground...:P

http://mjfylmw.png

http://nIGGvIx.png

http://x1ks9AL.png

Edited by Jeb-head-mug kerman

14 hours ago, Jeb-head-mug kerman said:

Greetings everyone,  and welcome to another Community Space Station challenge by the name of the 'World Space Station'. A special mention to @KerbonautTKM for coming up with this idea.  The goal of this challenge is like the previous community space stations, which is to build one large space station on one save file (link below). Feel free to build any module you want and as many as you want!

Awesome! Although I suggest you add one more rule: People should claim the save here in the thread, and then have XX hours to complete and re-upload it. Say standard 4 hours with possibility to extend with 2 more hours by another post (or update to original post,whatever).  At least some way of making sure people dont spend several hours trying to dock something, only to find out there was a new addition to the station 10 minutes before they had the chance to upload ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my contribution to the W.S.S. (World Space Station).

Save file here.

• Trust me, it works.

FQOmRJz.png

• Apparently, @Jeb-head-mug kerman forgot the scientific instruments
  • My module can hold up to 19 people, and it has:
    • Two regular docking ports
    • One large docking port

Okay, here are the pictures

Spoiler

RkqRNtu.png

• Getting ready to launch.

LEhCUuv.png

bvaJhxD.png

• I turned on the temperature overlay as soon as I reached my parking orbit of 215 km
    • A larger difference in orbital altitude would mean less waiting time for making the intercept burn

UjuBYd1.png

• Getting ready to rendezvous with the WSS
    • I don't know why it identified as a ship when it was designed as a station, but I don't care. I have a construction job to do.

CTliUrh.png

• Here's the module and the delivery ship in the sunlight.
  • The brakes and parachutes are there to make recovery easier.
    • I was raised to clean up after myself, so I'm not just going to leave my debris floating near the station.

Qv5U1va.png

• After a successful rendezvous, I docked with a random port and then detached the delivery rocket from the module.

xk2UrM4.png

• Burning in an orbital retrograde to get rid of the delivery rocket.
  • Honestly, I didn't care what happened to it because it wasn't a plane.

qWGQ2eJ.png

• Here's my rocket and station module.

This is quite fun, actually. Kudos to you, @Jeb-head-mug kerman

Edited by Mars-Bound Hokie
Tested downloading the save folder.

Every good station needs a way to generate solar power!

In addition, kerbals need a way to step outside for some fresh air.

I've solved both of those problems with the Truss and Airlock module.

20200126091939_1.jpg

As seen on the World Space Station (WSS).

Spoiler

Launch photos:

20200126090235_1.jpg

One of the more ridiculous rocket designs that I've made, but it works.

20200126090337_1.jpg

I told you it works!

20200126090636_1.jpg

First stage and fairing separation.

20200126091159_1.jpg

Rendezvous burn.

20200126091414_1.jpg

Rendezvous is happening in the dark, not good for my EC levels.

20200126091513_1.jpg

Separating from upper stage.

20200126091714_1.jpg

Docking to zenith port.

Edit: Here's the save file with the truss attached. Save

Edited by Stamp20
Save now includes previous post's module

Here is the new save!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=16rr0eUleJ5uZ9HH7B9CvkJ_Q26y7nNbc

Is7Fvfx.png

I present to you, Ultimate Steve's Escape Pod/Crew Transfer Vehicle! It is designed to safely return a crew of 10 to Kerbin in the event of an emergency, or through normal crew rotation.

Spoiler

4SB9CnE.png

Liftoff! There are 7 Kerbals on board, leaving some room for crew from future missions.

vclrKIk.png

Booster separation went a bit wrong but luckily nothing of importance broke.

Is7Fvfx.png

Approaching the WSS.

6LleA4X.png

And, docked to the WSS!

l6WInWt.png

Earlier during landing testing.

wOfS8Vq.png

Be warned, landing has been tested but re-entry hasn't. In the event that its wings or landing gear is destroyed in whatever event necessitated the evacuation of the station in the first place, or in the event of an emergency during landing, the craft features 4 main parachutes in case the craft can't be landed horizontally.

Again if you didn't see, the save is at the beginning of the post.

Edited by Ultimate Steve

7 hours ago, Stamp20 said:

Every good station needs a way to generate solar power!

In addition, kerbals need a way to step outside for some fresh air.

I've solved both of those problems with the Truss and Airlock module.

20200126091939_1.jpg

As seen on the World Space Station (WSS).

Hide contents

Launch photos:

20200126090235_1.jpg

One of the more ridiculous rocket designs that I've made, but it works.

20200126090337_1.jpg

I told you it works!

20200126090636_1.jpg

First stage and fairing separation.

20200126091159_1.jpg

Rendezvous burn.

20200126091414_1.jpg

Rendezvous is happening in the dark, not good for my EC levels.

20200126091513_1.jpg

Separating from upper stage.

20200126091714_1.jpg

Docking to zenith port.

Edit: Here's the save file with the truss attached. Save

Awesome work, @Stamp20!

16 minutes ago, kspnerd122 said:

save space for me I am launching a awesome new module to it soon also can I move it to Minmus if no that's fine but minmus is cool, also I plan on adding a refueling dock

I wouldn't move it to Minmus if I were you. You can't move an assembled space station from LKO to Minmus without damaging it, since docked parts tend to wobble and break (especially with the station's current configuration). Besides, it's called the World Space Station, as in it's orbiting Kerbin.

• Now, if you plan to dock a spacecraft/plane that can fly TO Minmus from the WSS, that would be cool - but be sure to leave some ports open for everyone else.

3 hours ago, Mars-Bound Hokie said:

spacecraft/plane that can fly TO Minmus from the WSS

You mean like a shuttle of some sort? Now that is a neat idea. First to take some kerbal tourists from the KSC to the WSS, have them stay at the luxurious space station, and then continue their holiday onto Minmus! I wonder how long it will take for 'Kerbal Spacelines' to take off....

10 hours ago, Jeb-head-mug kerman said:

You mean like a shuttle of some sort?

I never said anything about a shuttle.

10 hours ago, Jeb-head-mug kerman said:

I wonder how long it will take for 'Kerbal Spacelines' to take off

I'm already on it. Stand by.

Edited by Mars-Bound Hokie

TCF9IvU.png

First of all, who left Val alone at the runway?

In order for Kerbal Spaceways to take off, I had to expand the WSS to make it easier for planes to dock with. More specifically, at the station's current configuration, there was a high risk of colliding with a part incoming planes aren't supposed to (e.g. solar panels). 

Spoiler

svMhiK5.png

• Launching my next part at the WSS

sAbbiRu.png

• Right before I passed 35 km altitude, my fairing was at risk of blowing up due to overheating.

x08LulZ.png

• Rendezvous completed.
  • I don't know why the station identified as a plane named "Ultimate Steve's Escape Pod," but I fixed it.

iRfO3Ea.png

• After I installed my piece, I put the delivery rocket into a de-orbit trajectory --> and did a better job at keeping it in one piece than the last time.

Now it was time to add the planes, so I decided to start with a Laythe Ascent Vehicle prototype. Though it has not been to Laythe yet, I have undeniable proof that it can fly to LKO, dock with something, and come back to the KSC. It's also what won me the APPA First Class Award.

Spoiler

ODAzo12.png

• The LAV in LKO, ready to rendezvous with the WSS

upCwi30.png

• Docking the plane manually was a pain in the ass, but I managed.

The LAV has enough delta-V to fly to Ike from LKO, but it can only carry up to three people at a time. After I docked it, I added another module for more spaceplanes. Have fun with that, everyone - and don't forget to leave some ports open.

Here's the station now.

fQzd0rE.png

SAVE FILE HERE

1 hour ago, Mars-Bound Hokie said:

TCF9IvU.png

First of all, who left Val alone at the runway?

I left Val on the runway. I originally launched the truss on the original save file, then realized that I should've used the file you provided. I transferred the craft file of the truss to the new file and Alt+F12ed it to orbit. Val got auto assigned to the lander can and I didn't want to revert.

how about i build a smaller station in minmus orbit and have a shuttle that can go there from the WSS refuel and come back i already have a working ssto design also i will add more docking ports

(refuel means refuel off of the MSS(Minmus Space Station) which has a lander to go down to the surface and get ore)

also I have moved a 5 module space station as part of the stock space race also im using mods so can i send you guys the craft files and you launch it(rocket included)

or can i have the mods if i don't use them at all

my modlist is below

KW Rocketry

Research Bodies

Kerbal Reusability Expansion

do you want me to add a new docking module?

so we have more docking ports

but my main goal is the MSS to be set up and also have one around the Mun then have shuttles for both note there will be a SSTO docking section added

10 hours ago, kspnerd122 said:

how about i build a smaller station in minmus orbit and have a shuttle that can go there from the WSS refuel and come back i already have a working ssto design also i will add more docking ports

(refuel means refuel off of the MSS(Minmus Space Station) which has a lander to go down to the surface and get ore)

also I have moved a 5 module space station as part of the stock space race also im using mods so can i send you guys the craft files and you launch it(rocket included)

or can i have the mods if i don't use them at all

my modlist is below

KW Rocketry

Research Bodies

Kerbal Reusability Expansion

do you want me to add a new docking module?

so we have more docking ports

but my main goal is the MSS to be set up and also have one around the Mun then have shuttles for both note there will be a SSTO docking section added

That is a very good idea.

On 2/3/2020 at 8:32 AM, BrandonPro15 said:

this is my first space station and I think its ok if anyone would mind giving me tips that would be great. thank you!

ship download:https://drive.google.com/open?id=1DT5xXTVkNmhXCoeuECJfYhYd-Q9g9kmN

Image: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cXdj7g-rukpNl-K0YHbZxuyuBNiBUMNB17dmXAtWXNM

Well that looks good and everyone starts small, but I would just practice docking if I were you and after your reasonably good at it try to build something bigger.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.