question about ksp 2

Hi every one,

I'm well aware of the fact that there is no official information about what is changed in ksp for version 2 and how will it affect modding community, but...

I thought, having a thread for this topic while ksp2 is being developed and not released yet, maybe useful.

So here are some thoughts that can be talked about :

1- We all know that they say the ksp game is reprogrammed in many sections from the ground up. How will this affect the modding community when it comes to those mods that has dll?

2- Will this mean that we may have a new API system all over the place (something that would lag many developers on update process for the new system)?

3- If the answer to second question is yes, how and where?

4- If the answer is no, then why not? I never developed a dll file for ksp, but i am well familiar with API concept in unity, the few times i looked into ksp mods, it looked like the API can have some touches with better and more calls to make life easier for developers.

5- How will this update affect shaders and those mods developing shaders (like textures unlimited)

6- The screens from early game play shows some threes around KSP, why not adding the concept we have with kerbal constructs? I mean more non functional buildings around ksp that would serve as eye candy? after all, if community goes for something that has 0 function in game, means they want to see it when they launch a ship

7- visual effects and some features that can become internal mechanics, things like docking port alignment indicator, scatterer, EVE, SVT and some more functional mods that can be always inside ksp as internal functionality but is never there ( I can list at least 50 mods like that ). I know that adding these may cause internal maintenance for them every now and then, but let's face it, the only real reason that many of these mods need maintenance is because of unity.dll update between ksp versions these days, so, having them as internal functionality, may need no maintenance after adding them as game mechanics

8- Kopernicus, another functionality that main developers can look into it. Having binary planets in ksp2 have some promises but still, if the main issues with this mod remains (like when you don't have sun as the center of everything) I would ask them why not looking into this and try helping community more ( I know that they had done a lot with co-working with modding community, but if you ask me, it could be much better )

After all, with some major upgrade like what we are facing with (ksp 2) there are lots of things we can talk about and that is why i started this thread.

Edited by Jiraiyah

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2020 at 6:52 AM, Jiraiyah said:

1- We all know that they say the ksp game is reprogrammed in many sections from the ground up. How will this affect the modding community when it comes to those mods that has dll?

They will have to be rewritten from the ground up. That's something that I think most of us are expecting anyway (and is welcomed).

On 1/11/2020 at 6:52 AM, Jiraiyah said:

2- Will this mean that we may have a new API system all over the place (something that would lag many developers on update process for the new system)?

3- If the answer to second question is yes, how and where?

4- If the answer is no, then why not? I never developed a dll file for ksp, but i am well familiar with API concept in unity, the few times i looked into ksp mods, it looked like the API can have some touches with better and more calls to make life easier for developers.

I'll address all these together. KSP doesn't have an API in the traditional sense. Devs just tend to leave methods as public and let us have at it, most of these methods are (usually) badly documented if at all. 99% of making a plugin is finding a class/method that looks like it *might* do what you want, then searching github to see how other people used it :P 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.