Boarding from a docking port

Hi.

I know this as been suggested before.

I was doing a space walk the other day (well indirectly anyway) (1.8.1) and thought "Hey, maybe there was an update and I don't know about it".

And, no.

A kerbal still can't grab a docking port and enter the craft that way.

It would be nice. Thank you for reading this,

ME

7 hours ago, Martian Emigrant said:

"Hey, maybe there was an update and I don't know about it".

And, no.

Endless optimism. I like it.

I have moments like that when I check out every subsequent patch.

"Hey, maybe this update they'll have finally ..."

• "... flipped the texture of the Jr docking port so it's the right side up."
  • "... rotated the texture on the fairing bases so we don't need to pick between the text 'attach payload here' being sideways or mirror symmetry acting all weird when we rotate the base to get the text the right side up."
  • "... fixed the default orientation of the <mk0 LF tank|spark|reliant|swivel|skipper> so it actually looks and rotates mirrored in mirror symmetry."
  • "... changed the lightbulbs in the Mk2 inline cockpit front and aft hatches so they light up when turning on the lights, like every other part with a hatch window on the stack nodes."
  • "... centered the rotation point on the small foldable radiators (TCS) so they don't rotate off-center."
  • "... fixed the claw's (AGU) drag parameters so it's actually draggier when it's armed and the fairing is open."

But nope, never seems to happen. It's ok, I'll check again next time.

9 hours ago, Martian Emigrant said:

You probably know this, but for the benefit of those who don't, let me explain why this is so:

Kerbals are not on board of a vessel, but instead they're sitting in a part. Which is probably a good thing, as vessels can change, while parts are persistent.

When you enter through a hatch, you enter the part that has said hatch. This makes it necessary that every part with a hatch also has crew capacity (cf. the Inflatable Airlock).

I guess it would be possible to check all parts on the vessel you're trying to board, and put your crew member into the first available seat that comes up. Or, perhaps better, pop up a crew transfer window and allow you to select which part you want to sit in. That would certainly be a quality-of-life improvement, and would open the way to paint-on doors you can put anywhere on your vessel -- something I'd like very much.

17 hours ago, Laie said:

You probably know this, but for the benefit of those who don't, let me explain why this is so:

Kerbals are not on board of a vessel, but instead they're sitting in a part. Which is probably a good thing, as vessels can change, while parts are persistent.

When you enter through a hatch, you enter the part that has said hatch. This makes it necessary that every part with a hatch also has crew capacity (cf. the Inflatable Airlock).

I guess it would be possible to check all parts on the vessel you're trying to board, and put your crew member into the first available seat that comes up. Or, perhaps better, pop up a crew transfer window and allow you to select which part you want to sit in. That would certainly be a quality-of-life improvement, and would open the way to paint-on doors you can put anywhere on your vessel -- something I'd like very much.

Thank you.

I didn't know why. That makes a lot of sense.

For instance a docking port can be at the end of a girder and there could be multiple parts the Kerbal could end up in.

How about assigning a docking port to a specific part in the VAB? If the compartment is full you get a message.

9 hours ago, severedsolo said:

I didn't even realise I wanted this.... but it's an awesome idea.

:D

Edited by Martian Emigrant

Afaik, technically it wouldn't be an issue (adding a textureless cube and setting a tag, while the docking port effector is a node in the object tree), but which real ships actually use the docking ports as EVA hatches?

On 1/12/2020 at 5:30 AM, swjr-swis said:

"... flipped the texture of the Jr docking port so it's the right side up."

"Your wish is granted! Now it's the right side up."

Edited by kerbiloid

3 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

but which real ships actually use the docking ports as EVA hatches?

I believe you are correct.

The tunnels are (I think) barely bigger than shoulder width (Saves on materials, mass and engineering). And a fully suited astronaut couldn't use them.

But when did KSP start being "Real"? It does take a few liberties.

Got notified.

Thanks @severedsolo I am impressed by how fast you came up with a mod. Magic to me.

Proves that it can be done and implemented if nothing else.

I will try this.

ME

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.