THE MOHOLE

Sweetnsaltyish

11 hours ago, klgraham1013 said:

It was made because of the render glitches.

AFAIK it wasn't really the rendering as such, but the fact that the surface itself had a glitch. (In other words: the rendering engine was fine, the date fed into it not.)

More information can be found on its wiki page.

Mohole was around long before I joined the team. It's a terrain glitch. But my understanding is that (quite on it's own) it achieved a sort of unofficial landmark/Easter Egg status over the years among the players, so it's just been left alone.

4 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Somebody said to the Kerbals that the Moho is close to the Sun and is rich with metals.

So, the Kerbals took a shovel and dug a well to find them.

But they got greedy and dug too deep. That's how the Kraken was released.

There are Moholes on other planets too, although none so prominent as Moho's. They exist exactly at the poles, where the game has to squish and fold up the texture and map of the planet to make a sphere, and they should not be touched. 

There's a big hexagonal spike on the Mun's north pole that I've visited. I think Bop might have a small Mohole as well.

2 minutes ago, cubinator said:

There are Moholes on other planets too, although none so prominent as Moho's. They exist exactly at the poles, where the game has to squish and fold up the texture and map of the planet to make a sphere, and they should not be touched.

Kerbin's poles are as flat as could be, so it is possible to prevent/correct the inherent difficulties at those points. We have the technology!

I'm all for keeping the Mohole, for nostalgic reasons. I wouldn't mind the others being retouched to smooth them out.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.