(Reboot) Hypersonic Aircraft Challenge: Quest For Hypersonic with Badges!

This challenge was waaaaaay harder than I thought.

First I started with planes, getting mach 5 on KER but only going 1500 m/s.

Then I made a rocket, reread the rules and saw that wasn't allowed, then reread again and saw that it never said you couldn't use solid rocket boosters.

Then I built a solid fuel plane but it was so heavy that when it launched every part clipped inward and exploded. I was about to give up when I noticed on of the boosters rocketing away. I switched to it and watched, hoped, and prayed and it finally beat 3000 m/s below 50km. I hope this meets the rest of the requirements. It launched horizontally and theoretically I could land it but it exploded before I could try.

This one is uncontrollable but I can make it controllable

So several hours after finding this challenge here is my Hermes entry, with a top speed of 3105 m/s: 9xkgjM1.png

Edit: Ignore this one, look beneath it

Edited by Kerminator1000

New Entry: 

• Controllable (The last one wasn't) :D
  • Has landing gear
  • Much faster

On the runway: (The final version ended up being much higher than this but the launch assists wouldn't hold for long enough for me to screenshot)

kQqdNrV.png

The landing gear:

F2NGZ21.png

"Houston we have liftoff!"

r9N11vi.png

Picking up speed:

UMkxnSQ.png

Then the picture you've all been waiting for (Drum roll please!:P) ...

1vxOH40.png

It did go 3600 m/s but that was above 50km and I didn't think that counted.

EDIT: Craft file is now available!

Edited by Kerminator1000
Added craft file

No its for the Hermes class

On 1/12/2020 at 1:44 AM, Jeb-head-mug kerman said:
  • No Decouplers or Docking Ports
  • No Cheats and DLC
  • Craft can't be Launched from a Mothership
  • Craft has to be able to take-off and land horizontally in one piece
  • Record has to be taken under 50km
  • Craft made in version 1.8 or later.

I think it meets all the requirements

It can take off horizontally, its just very difficult to do.

As for landing, I didn't get a chance to try (it either exploded or went into a solar orbit) but I did add landing gear to the bottom and it has canards and fins and could probably glide. If you want me to make it better at landing I could try adding drogue chutes.

EDIT: Here is a picture of it on the ground, the final design was exactly the same except it was raised up for an easier launch (taking off is not my best skill:D):YinJCG7.png

Edited by Kerminator1000

22 hours ago, Kerminator1000 said:

It can take off horizontally, its just very difficult to do.

As for landing, I didn't get a chance to try (it either exploded or went into a solar orbit) but I did add landing gear to the bottom and it has canards and fins and could probably glide. If you want me to make it better at landing I could try adding drogue chutes.

EDIT: Here is a picture of it on the ground, the final design was exactly the same except it was raised up for an easier launch (taking off is not my best skill:D):YinJCG7.png

@Kerminator1000 congrats, here is the 3000 M/S badge!http://CYZVr6i.png?3

• 2 months later...

This challenge has already been on for a while now coming of and on. This is actually I think the third reboot of the hypersonic challenge? So yeah, I haven't been spending much time on KSP recently, moving onto other hobbies but I have certainly not quit yet! But I don't have the time right now to reboot the challenge again (as this one has lost a bit of attention) so for now, this CHALLENGE IS CLOSED. So posted craft wont be verified anymore or go into the leaderboard. I may do another reboot later on in the future but for now thats that. Congrats to those that submitted crafts and thanks for posting on this challenge!

https://streamable.com/trowtq

I know that this challenge is over but I wanted to add this submission. With a bit of lateral thinking, I got this nuclear powered waverider all the way up to 25780 m/s under 50 km.

https://imgur.com/a/3qiPMQ6

Here's an imgur album detailing the first part of the challenge and to prove that all the rules were met. The mothership has four rapier engines and is a single stage. At 20 km, the waverider is dropped and continues the rest of the way to orbit.

Some time later, the waverider arrives back at Kerbin with 21 km/s of relative velocity, at which point it expends the 4500 m/s it has remaining and speeds through the top part of the atmosphere. It doesn't spend long enough in the atmosphere for heating to have an effect.

• 2 months later...
On 10/31/2020 at 10:47 PM, camacju said:

I know that this challenge is over but I wanted to add this submission. With a bit of lateral thinking, I got this nuclear powered waverider all the way up to 25780 m/s under 50 km.

On 10/28/2020 at 10:03 PM, Jeb-head-mug kerman said:

This challenge has already been on for a while now coming of and on. This is actually I think the third reboot of the hypersonic challenge? So yeah, I haven't been spending much time on KSP recently, moving onto other hobbies but I have certainly not quit yet! But I don't have the time right now to reboot the challenge again (as this one has lost a bit of attention) so for now, this CHALLENGE IS CLOSED. So posted craft wont be verified anymore or go into the leaderboard. I may do another reboot later on in the future but for now thats that. Congrats to those that submitted crafts and thanks for posting on this challenge!

While this version of the challenge is over, @Jeb-head-mug kerman has allowed me to take over and make my own reboot.

@camacju , if you would like to repost on the new thread, I would be happy to give you a badge and leaderboard position.

Here is the new challenge thread for anyone looking for it:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.