[1.9.x] All Aboard! 1.0.1.1 (19/02/2020) - Allowing Kerbals to board through Docking Ports since 2020

severedsolo

Sorry for not clearly explaining earlier ^^; 
I did mean closest in the part tree. Distance wouldn't make sense. I suggested it because placing the kerbal into a random seat on the vessel may bypass structural parts that would otherwise not be traversable, which could totally ignore CLS standards. However it couldn't be done with *just* a part tree check. If there's no seat between the port and a non-traversable area, the port shouldn't be enterable. And you would have to check every part tree direction (and send to seat with the least nodes between) to avoid being sent to one end of a long craft if there's a seat one node over in the other direction. The checks would also have to work if the part tree changes mid-flight (docking or decoupling).

On 1/17/2020 at 7:10 AM, Martian Emigrant said:

On the subject of making sense. I always thought hat it was a pity that when Kerbals go EVA that the hatch isn't opened

Maybe someone can make a radially-attached door with an opening animation that happens when a kerbal exits (or enters) a craft right next to it.
The open door could just have a black texture on the inside to imitate an opening, and the hinge could be the only hitbox so kerbals could still enter without obstruction.

9 hours ago, Inqie said:

Maybe someone can make a radially-attached door with an opening animation that happens when a kerbal exits (or enters) a craft right next to it.

You should bring this up on this thread:

Also, one of the most underated, never mentioned features of Alexustas' ASET Pod IVA, is that there is an EVA/airlock hatch in the rear of the IVA... You can click on it, and it actually animates open/closed, to expose an airlock/vestibule space behind it. And IIRC, you can also EVA out of the pod that way... But I'm not sure... its been a long time since I actually got to *play* using that pod

9 hours ago, Inqie said:

The open door could just have a black texture on the inside to imitate an opening, and the hinge could be the only hitbox so kerbals could still enter without obstruction.

Actually, the hatch meshes (the part you *see*) and colliders (invisible; the part that triggers the EVA/boarding action of the kerbal), are two seperate objects...
That means the hatch mesh could be animated to open, seperately from the hatch collider, which would not change the function of hatches at all... the only issue is, the hatch mesh would pass thru any kerbal or object in front of it... unless the mesh had its *own* collider... but then, you get into the conflict of two colliders interfering with each other. :(

Edited by Stone Blue

9 minutes ago, Capt. Hunt said:

We need this.  One question though that I don't think has been asked yet, Does it work both ways?

No. Long story short, making an actual hatch controller (the bit that let's kerbals Eva out of it, do crew transfers etc) requires going into the model, and setting a bit as a hatch in Unity using Part Tools.

Obviously I can't mess with Squads assets, much less distribute them without breaking the EULA.

So we made our own controller (insert futurama reference here). In short, the code makes the docking port pretend it's a hatch and hope that you won't notice its having an identity crisis.

Edited by severedsolo

• 1 month later...
On 2/27/2020 at 11:26 PM, Stone Blue said:

Actually, the hatch meshes (the part you *see*) and colliders (invisible; the part that triggers the EVA/boarding action of the kerbal), are two seperate objects...
That means the hatch mesh could be animated to open, seperately from the hatch collider, which would not change the function of hatches at all... the only issue is, the hatch mesh would pass thru any kerbal or object in front of it... unless the mesh had its *own* collider... but then, you get into the conflict of two colliders interfering with each other. :(

Well, I imagine the kerbal would immediately disappear as soon as you activate the hatch, which is what normally happens. And if there's another object in front of it, the hatch will be inaccessible anyway (or tagged as obstructed).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.