[KSP 1.7+] Kipard Skylon v1.3 (July 02, 2020)

JadeOfMaar

tu16nAi.png

RSn8xvi.jpg

TboLcIU.jpg1nSuZk0.jpgH8uQhH2.jpgnT0lvJN.jpg1R0rV3J.jpg8cw4tYi.jpg

Originally made by @CaptainKipard and availed in open alpha dev state in December 2014. It's close enough to "finished" in looking good and being playable. Umm, no, I do not intend to add parts. Before anyone asks.

Ideal fuel loadout for default build: [main tanks: LH2O], [aux tanks: LH2].

Main Features

• 5m diameter at the midsection. 3.75m engines. Its Payload Bay comfortably holds 2.5m or tightly holds 3.75m.
  • Runs on Hydrolox (not LFO) by default: SABRE, OMS/tail engine, Payload Bay's builtin fuel cell and RCS.
  • Balanced for 2.7x ~ 3.2x scaled systems. Rated for 30 tons to 600km in 2.7x with its own bay.
  • Drone core contains 4 control points: Forward, Up (Docking), SABRE thrust vector, OMS thrust vector.
  • Precoolers each create up to 200 Oxidizer per second between Mach 1.2 ~ 6. (This is off by default. At first I needed it but now I realize I don't, and have left this in as a toy to play with, and reference material for other modders to view.)
  • Shock cones animate if B9AnimationModules mod is installed.
  • SABRE (as per true turborocket nature) sips on Oxidizer in air-breating mode which explains its enduring power in higher atmosphere than most other jet engines.
  • Aerodynamics stats thoroughly tested but there's always the inherent issue of the center of lift being under the center of mass due to the wing placement.

Bonus Features

• Added custom cargo bay for use as a service bay. Can comfortably hold 3.75m and can provide a wide selection of inner node clusters for mounting useful 1.25m things.
    UDYakBI.jpg
  • Can sweat Liquid Hydrogen for thermal control/transpiration. (Extras config)
  • Includes reconfigured, recolored stock wheels to fit its profile.
  • Includes some part upgrades.
  • Variant themes: Black & White, All Black. Skylon Light vs Dark SPH

Dependencies

Integrations

Issues

Some lasting issues that I've discovered in the process of this takeover include:

• A drag cube problem with the largest tank pieces. I am not sure if they can be properly fixed. Until then these tanks have an extra stack node added to them and must receive a 3.75m nose cone there. Feel free to hide (but do not scale down) the cones afterward.
  • The pre-made wheels run on Firespitter but misbehave even with the current version of Firespitter (as at KSP 1.8.1). While these remain un-usuable I have supplied customized stock wheels to use in their place, and removed them from the game. They can always be fetched from the "Broken" folder in my GitHub repo of this mod.

Warning

Players who at least have an idea how aerodynamics work already know that Skylon, by nature, is incredibly unstable due to having such little lift surface and having all of its lift surface under its CoM. Players who can't get their own planes to liftoff before the edge of the KSC runway or liftoff in one piece are not ready for this mod.

Drag fix illustrated:

4jvYuFU.png

Original thread:

DOWNLOAD :: GITHUB :: SPACEDOCK

LICENSE  : CC-BY-NC-SA

Edited by JadeOfMaar

You can sure count on @Kottabos to spot potential issues that you just didn't quite catch for yourself. :)

The payload bay shouldn't be able to hold fuel right now (or at all). I did not need this for my final test flight in 2.7x before release.

Video added to OP.

Aside from the wheels, there's the other thing that he missed thanks to how Janitor's Closet works. The auxiliary bay.

UDYakBI.jpg

Throwback to KSP 1.1 or 1.2 when I built something quite high-fidelity with Mk3 Stockalike Expansion and up-scaled stock shock cone intakes. I didn't need the scramjets, and this thing had way too much dV, easily reaching the Mun in one go. I bet it could return without refueling too. I think it could keep pace with Captain Kipard's Skylon if it was rebuilt today.

The old terrier sucked so much egg with how it looks and that variants and Restock didn't exist so there was no hope for a "compact" form.

q4IDfNA.jpg

DCM7AIR.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

This model looks great, except for the black version))), which looks like an unfinished texture. Using this mod, I noticed that SABER engines continue to work in ... space ... and do not lose power in the upper atmosphere. What could be the problem? Just the engines ignore the vacuum and continue to work in the "Air" mode. As if black magic ...

And at the same time, for balance (because with this error you can go into orbit with virtually no fuel consumption) you must switch the mode yourself when you rise. Which, of course, is not accurate and not convenient. 

Edited by OOM

@OOM Thanks for noticing. I missed one or two very important keys for the air-breathing mode, which I hadn't yet fully understood. In addition the source of the extra dV is that the precooler holds a lot of IntakeAir and doesn't have an intake module so it doesn't bleed out when it should. The reason for that is the flash-cooling feature which I myself found unneeded soon after I released it. (It might still be needed for 3.2x scaled systems and higher.)

The all-black texture is indeed to some degree a place-holder or WIP. I hadn't much energy for textures at the time. But also, I expected an all-black Skylon to not have much in fine details like panel lines.

@Daniel Prates That is likely the Darude airbase in JNSQ. It replaces the MH DLC's Dessert airfield.

Release 1.1

• Fixed air-breathing engine behavior.
  • Replaced and re-tuned plumes.
  • Moved precooler feature into an optional upgrade.
  • Added intake module to precooler (mainly so it dumps its contents on its own when near vacuum).

On 5/4/2020 at 3:39 AM, JadeOfMaar said:

Release 1.1

• Fixed air-breathing engine behavior.
  • Replaced and re-tuned plumes.
  • Moved precooler feature into an optional upgrade.
  • Added intake module to precooler (mainly so it dumps its contents on its own when near vacuum).

Now that Skylon is working, a bright future has come)))
The Infrastructure Problem [1]

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, how in the world did I miss it when you (re-)released this back in January? Looking forward to trying this out - Skylon was one of my favorite UK space ideas. IIRC, isn't that where SABRE first appeared? Anyway, going to love trying this out in JNSQ.

Edited by panarchist

• 1 month later...

Release 1.3

• Added boiloff module for CryoTanks users.
  • Added JetSoundsUpdated patch.
  • Buffed fuel cell in accordance with boiloff module demands.
    • Added Water output to fuel cell.
  • Fixed drag cube problem with auxiliary bay.
  • Reduced canard deflection in accordance to FAR issues.
  • Updated Classic Stock integration accordingly.
  • Updated PARTUPGRADES to WIP Upgrade Party style.

Links in OP

• 2 months later...

Am I posted that .... some sort of..... a 'crude' stock skylon before?

I welcome you selected my skylon to compare your mod and stock skylon. But although it is very similar with my kerbalx-posted stock skylon, the stock skylon in your screenshot is not my own made skylon. To tag my name at stock skylon in your screenshot, please use "my" skylon.

Anyway, your mod is good and I gladly downloaded it. thank you.

Edited by Efour

• 1 year later...
10 hours ago, french_fries said:

hello i have some advice .in my test,the density of lox is 5000kg/m3(in your mod),but in our world it is 1140kg/m3,i think it should be fixed.and isp ofsabre engine in rocket mode should be 450-460s by LH2/LOX,this value in your mod should be improved

Hey there. :) The LOX issue is due to the fact that the uses stock Oxidizer which is an abstract resource. I could change it to proper LOX (LqdOxygen) but there isn't much use of that outside of RealFuels or KSPIE, I think

Edited by JadeOfMaar

• 6 months later...

You can change my Skylon(made from stock parts)for RO!Just ensure that you have Tweakscale.

This is a picture of Skylon are flying,see from Tracking Station(in KSRSS):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1i7F8AMNixYxmFDzyA4StIFKYIln8fDA1/view?usp=sharing

Craft file:https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FFvIHHhm-YuG5YL8-hzhIvHFkU_hEpux/view?usp=sharing

Edited by Alex1234567890

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.