[BETA] [1.8.x] Bureaucracy - Monthly Budgets, Reimagined (Release Candidate - 22/01/2020)

severedsolo

1 hour ago, vardicd said:

Side question, is there a way to see a kerbal's current morale? If i lose a kerbal and my crew gets a morale strike, can i see that? also if i lose a kerbal and a morale strike occurs, and i hire new kerbals before the 6 month period ends, do they inherit the morale strike from 'hearing about it' while in training, or do they start fresh with no morale strikes?

(other stuff noted, just don't have a reply right now).

You get notified of the morale strike when the budget fires in the "Crew Report" - morale can be seen in the astronaut complex (note to self for later - should probably notify as soon as it happens and not just in the report).

New kerbals don't "hear" about strikes, they start fresh.

1 minute ago, vardicd said:

Probably not, as I'm not sure what that is, nor how to do so?

It should be in the config, near the top (still buggy if it's resetting them after, but in a different way)

Edited by severedsolo

10 minutes ago, severedsolo said:

It should be in the config, near the top

Found it, set to false, don't have time for extensive testing right now, but was able to do a quick boot, and when i loaded my save, it did seem to show the correct values for the custom settings I had set manually, and when i exited the custom values hadn't been reset in the config file. Going to call this a promising development, but will have to wait till after work tomorrow for more extensive testing with new saves, to see if it'll hold or was a one time fluke.

@severedsolo I am still seeing the random events fire at rates that seem  way above the default 0.100000001% chance. I have seen random events pop across multiple saves now some times as often as 3 times in the first 60 days. It doesn't happen in every single save, but when it does, it seems as if it always pops as I'm leaving the VAB/SPH after adding a craft to the KCT build list. 

3 minutes ago, vardicd said:

@severedsolo I am still seeing the random events fire at rates that seem  way above the default 0.100000001% chance. I have seen random events pop across multiple saves now some times as often as 3 times in the first 60 days. It doesn't happen in every single save, but when it does, it seems as if it always pops as I'm leaving the VAB/SPH after adding a craft to the KCT build list. 

That's a double, its actually a 10% chance. Also, it rolls whenever the space center scene loads (might need to put it on a cool down or something)

Just now, severedsolo said:

That's a double, its actually a 10% chance. Also, it rolls whenever the space center scene loads (might need to put it on a cool down or something)

Yeah a cool down might not be a bad idea, make it so random events can only fire once every so many days or something.

@severedsolo A question about Kerbal Construction time <-> Bureaucracy interaction. One of the upgrades in KCT R+D is the ability to get x amount of science for every 86400Bp of craft built. Bureaucracy doesn't seem to intercept that science and process it the same way as experiments. Is this intentional, oversight, or bug? In my opinion it would make sense either way, scientists could 'learn' just from building a craft, or could need to take measurements, samples, etc. and take them back to the lab and run 'tests and simulations' to gain that science. I just wasn't sure which side of the fence you were on with this, or if it was an upgrade option from KCT that you don't use, so didn't consider.

Also hope I'm not becoming a pain in the rear with all this, it's just monthly budgets was one of my must have mods, and this one is that and so much more and I'm loving it, and well, sometimes when i get enthusiastic about things, I don't realize I'm annoying other people. I just sort of realized/feel like I'm dominating the thread with posts trying to help, and uh, well... :blush:

Edited by vardicd

@vardicd
first of all, don't worry about whether you are being a pain in the backside. This thread is for feedback, and it's all helpful. You should know by now that I'm pretty clear when people are annoying me. It's all contributing to making the mod better, which is exactly what I want.

Kct stuff: I'm going to assume that kct is bypassing the experiment system and allocating the science directly. Bureaucracy is specifically intercepting experiments.

While there is a way to intercept those, modifying it fires the event again, meaning you have to keep track of whether you are the one modifying it or not, and it's unreliable to keep track of, and really easy to get stuck in an infinite loop. It's a minefield that I'm not willing to get into.

27 minutes ago, severedsolo said:

@vardicd
first of all, don't worry about whether you are being a pain in the backside. This thread is for feedback, and it's all helpful. You should know by now that I'm pretty clear when people are annoying me. It's all contributing to making the mod better, which is exactly what I want.

Kct stuff: I'm going to assume that kct is bypassing the experiment system and allocating the science directly. Bureaucracy is specifically intercepting experiments.

While there is a way to intercept those, modifying it fires the event again, meaning you have to keep track of whether you are the one modifying it or not, and it's unreliable to keep track of, and really easy to get stuck in an infinite loop. It's a minefield that I'm not willing to get into.

Makes sense, the KCT stuff is relatively minor, and as i said, could make sense either way, so it's really up to the individual users to decide if they want to spend upgrade points into that function of KCT anyway. 

6 minutes ago, vardicd said:

@severedsolo I'm curious, In the Construction tab at the bottom of the window, there is a QA: 100% I can't see anything in the wiki that explains what that stands for, or what it affects. 

It's linked to a random event - there is an event that allows you to reduce your maintenance costs, but the downside is that your vessels get a chance of exploding shortly after launch.

That ui segment is really a placeholder, while I was testing it, I need to think of a better way to get the information out (and write some more documentation)

Just now, severedsolo said:

It's linked to a random event - there is an event that allows you to reduce your maintenance costs, but the downside is that your vessels get a chance of exploding shortly after launch.

That ui segment is really a placeholder, while I was testing it, I need to think of a better way to get the information out (and write some more documentation)

Ah, okay. I was assuming it had something to do with construction upgrade costs, but wasn't clear on how to affect it or what it meant.

Issues from the thread have all been noted and will be worked on.

No updates coming tonight though, I've been modding and working (at my actual job) nearly continuously for the last week, and am taking a night off :P - (the planned release date of Monday will probably slip too - as I don't think it's ready yet).

I'll try to get Beta 3 out tomorrow night. Sunday at the outside.

16 hours ago, severedsolo said:

Also, it rolls whenever the space center scene loads (might need to put it on a cool down or something)

Personally I'm in and out of the VAB/Mission control/R&D a lot when designing complex missions.  So i would suggest to only check for random events once a month or so.

@severedsolo So i decided to test what would happen if i put irrational numbers in for budget allocation, [numbers that add up to more than 100%] the mod didn't let me do that, but i did notice that when i tried setting my budget to 35/30/35, the mod changed that to 34/30/34 as soon as i changed screens. not sure why it's rolling those numbers down, when it doesn't do so for numbers that end in 0? 

4 hours ago, vardicd said:

So i decided to test what would happen if i put irrational numbers in for budget allocation, [numbers that add up to more than 100%] the mod didn't let me do that, but i did notice that when i tried setting my budget to 35/30/35, the mod changed that to 34/30/34 as soon as i changed screens. not sure why it's rolling those numbers down, when it doesn't do so for numbers that end in 0? 

Welcome to the wonderful world of floating point numbers :)

Known issue (and it's the reason why the UI gets "fussy" about allocations even when you didn't change them). - Allocations are stored as a float (because it's simpler to do the calculation that way) - when you open the allocation screen, it gets converted to an int (because that's more user friendly) - then when you save them, it gets stored as a float again. Int to float conversion never goes exactly as you'd expect, it usually "drifts" by a couple of points, (like, 0.00000001) Int's have to be Rational so it gets rounded down.

TL:DR your settings are taking, it's just the UI being stupid :)

7 hours ago, AVaughan said:

Personally I'm in and out of the VAB/Mission control/R&D a lot when designing complex missions.  So i would suggest to only check for random events once a month or so.

Yeah, I'll put a cooldown in when I do the next update, thanks :)

1 minute ago, severedsolo said:

Welcome to the wonderful world of floating point numbers :)

Known issue (and it's the reason why the UI gets "fussy" about allocations even when you didn't change them). - Allocations are stored as a float (because it's simpler to do the calculation that way) - when you open the allocation screen, it gets converted to an int (because that's more user friendly) - then when you save them, it gets stored as a float again. Int to float conversion never goes exactly as you'd expect, it usually "drifts" by a couple of points, (like, 0.00000001) Int's have to be Rational so it gets rounded down.

TL:DR your settings are taking, it's just the UI being stupid :)

Got it. 

Bureaucracy Beta 3 (0.3) Now Available

• Fix Long Term Mission Payouts not generating.
  • Fix Allocation UI not seeming to honour the settings
  • RandomEvents are now on a 30 day cooldown (and can fire in Flight/Tracking Station too)
  • Update to use Flight Tracker 3.0

10 hours ago, severedsolo said:

Bureaucracy Beta 3 (0.3) Now Available

• Fix Long Term Mission Payouts not generating.
  • Fix Allocation UI not seeming to honour the settings
  • RandomEvents are now on a 30 day cooldown (and can fire in Flight/Tracking Station too)
  • Update to use Flight Tracker 3.0

Anyone testing this version, it seems to break on saves in progress. I had 3 buildings in the construction list undergoing upgrades, and a back log of 30 some science. I should have gotten about 9 science from it per my budget allocation. I got all of it, and all three buildings upgraded at the start of the next budget cycle, which put me 5.5 million funds in the hole. Does not seem to affect new saves, however, 

Edited by vardicd