[1..x, 1.9.x, 1.10.x] Kerbal Research & Development

linuxgurugamer

Just now, AccidentalDisassembly said:

Also - does KRnD malfunction with B9 Part Switch fuel switching and such as well? Just curious; I didn't see B9PartSwitch in the blacklisted modules settings file.

I'll have to add it, it isn't compatible.

Re. the other, not sure

• 2 weeks later...

i just wanted to say thank you for taking this mod, i have been using an outdated version for years now since i found it

and so you can appreciate even more this message, know that i never take the time to log in here, and i did it just for telling you a big THANKS

On 5/23/2020 at 1:56 AM, SoRobby said:

Great mod! I had a couple questions regarding the compatibility, how well does this mod work with something like Kerbalism and the Near Future Mods? 

I can't speak for Kerbalism but I'm using it with several of the Near Future mods and it works fine in most cases- the variable engines in NFPropulsion don't seem to change their thrust or ISP the way other engines do but other than that everything seems to work OK. Just be careful when changing fuel tank masses if you have cryo tanks installed as pure hydrogen tanks can end up with negative empty masses which causes all kinds of trouble.

@linuxgurugamer have you had any luck tracking down the cause of that 'no original-stats for part' exception that I and others posted about last month? I think there's something in Restock 1.1 that's causing this, reverting to 1.0.3 solves the problem with no other mods present AND with nearly a hundred different mods installed, @dan1ell1ma @AccidentalDisassembly are you also using Restock 1.1 or later when you see this error?

On 5/22/2020 at 8:56 PM, SoRobby said:

Great mod! I had a couple questions regarding the compatibility, how well does this mod work with something like Kerbalism and the Near Future Mods? 

I do not support Kerbalism, no idea if it works there.  

If someone were to submit a patch for it, I'd accept it, but that's as far as I will go

36 minutes ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

I can't speak for Kerbalism but I'm using it with several of the Near Future mods and it works fine in most cases- the variable engines in NFPropulsion don't seem to change their thrust or ISP the way other engines do but other than that everything seems to work OK. Just be careful when changing fuel tank masses if you have cryo tanks installed as pure hydrogen tanks can end up with negative empty masses which causes all kinds of trouble.

@linuxgurugamer have you had any luck tracking down the cause of that 'no original-stats for part' exception that I and others posted about last month? I think there's something in Restock 1.1 that's causing this, reverting to 1.0.3 solves the problem with no other mods present AND with nearly a hundred different mods installed, @dan1ell1ma @AccidentalDisassembly are you also using Restock 1.1 or later when you see this error?

Yes, the last restock plus. The problem persists. No change.

Only a screen without numbers or anything displayed.

21 minutes ago, dan1ell1ma said:

Yes, the last restock plus. The problem persists. No change.

Only a screen without numbers or anything displayed.

Can you try switching to Restock/plus 1.0.3 and see if KR&D works then? If you see the same thing as I do then that's pretty strong evidence for what's causing the bug.

Edited by jimmymcgoochie

On 6/5/2020 at 12:44 PM, jimmymcgoochie said:

Can you try switching to Restock/plus 1.0.3 and see if KR&D works then? If you see the same thing as I do then that's pretty strong evidence for what's causing the bug.

Different person, but I just downgraded from Restock/Plus 1.1.2 (where R&D wasn't working) to 1.0.3 and now it appears to be working again. 78 other mods installed including most of Nertea's other stuff, so it's definitely specific to Restock 1.1.X.

I was looking through my log files, because my game crashed and apparently didn't create any crash report or log files or anything for it and I noticed a huge huge volume of errors coming from this mod. I was wondering what they mean. I'll share a couple here but its the same error throughout the file and its just insane how many there are.

[ERR 02:33:22.785] [KRnD] updatePart(C3.RTank.06): System.Exception: no original-stats for part 'C3.RTank.06'
  at KRnD.KRnD.updatePart (Part part, KRnD.KRnDUpgrade upgradesToApply) [0x00070] in <c3c5f99852404d74b80f1fed7bbae96f>:0 

[ERR 02:33:22.785] [KRnD] updatePart(C3.RTank.08): System.Exception: no original-stats for part 'C3.RTank.08'
  at KRnD.KRnD.updatePart (Part part, KRnD.KRnDUpgrade upgradesToApply) [0x00070] in <c3c5f99852404d74b80f1fed7bbae96f>:0 

[ERR 02:33:22.785] [KRnD] updatePart(C3.Tank.01): System.Exception: no original-stats for part 'C3.Tank.01'

I'm just looking through to see if I can clean up some errors to prevent these crashes.

CKAN mod list file; https://www.dropbox.com/s/ipcaoz5184bd01d/vas-mod-pack.ckan?dl=0

Text Mod List: https://pastebin.com/VjCypGac

Pastebin won't let me upload the full file. 23MB in size because of the vast amount of errors.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/92p6v1exa4nisyu/KSPLog.zip?dl=0

On 6/15/2020 at 6:58 AM, Vas said:

I was looking through my log files, because my game crashed and apparently didn't create any crash report or log files or anything for it and I noticed a huge huge volume of errors coming from this mod. I was wondering what they mean. I'll share a couple here but its the same error throughout the file and its just insane how many there are.

[ERR 02:33:22.785] [KRnD] updatePart(C3.RTank.06): System.Exception: no original-stats for part 'C3.RTank.06'

[ERR 02:33:22.785] [KRnD] updatePart(C3.RTank.08): System.Exception: no original-stats for part 'C3.RTank.08'

[ERR 02:33:22.785] [KRnD] updatePart(C3.Tank.01): System.Exception: no original-stats for part 'C3.Tank.01'

I'm just looking through to see if I can clean up some errors to prevent these crashes.

CKAN mod list file; https://www.dropbox.com/s/ipcaoz5184bd01d/vas-mod-pack.ckan?dl=0

Text Mod List: https://pastebin.com/VjCypGac

Pastebin won't let me upload the full file. 23MB in size because of the vast amount of errors.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/92p6v1exa4nisyu/KSPLog.zip?dl=0

Are you running any fuel-switcher mods?  If so, then you can't use this mod, they are incompatible

6 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Are you running any fuel-switcher mods?  If so, then you can't use this mod, they are incompatible

Hmm, I'm not sure... I think one of the mods modifies certain tanks to allow me to change the fuel that they have within them yea... I can't remember which one though..  It would be nice if this could be made compatible. I guess they'd have to make the mod compatible on their end though because they would need to scan the tank after this one applies its research to the tanks. Right?

Ah yea, Configurable Containers:

Am I right in the assumption though? That it'd take the mod that makes the tanks switch fuels, putting in some sort of fix on their end?

P.S. I'm in discord if you wanna chat me up there. The Reddit discord that is. Or poke my discord, `Vas#1890`. Boy I sure do have a lot of your mods. xD

Edited by Vas
P.S.

6 hours ago, Vas said:

Hmm, I'm not sure... I think one of the mods modifies certain tanks to allow me to change the fuel that they have within them yea... I can't remember which one though..  It would be nice if this could be made compatible. I guess they'd have to make the mod compatible on their end though because they would need to scan the tank after this one applies its research to the tanks. Right?

Each fuel switcher does it's work in a different manner, this mod would essentially need to be rewritten for each one.  While I'd love to have it work, I'm not going to invest the time it would take to do that, at least, not at this time

• 3 weeks later...

Been playing with this mod on my main campaign save for a few weeks now and I absolutely love it. It feels pretty OP and "game-y" at times but even so it makes science collection way more satisfying and I get a much more incremental feel for upgrading my rockets and space program versus my typical strategy of design a good rocket, fly it a few times until I unlock new parts, then start from scratch building around new engines or a new tank diameter.

If I could request one thing it would be upgrades related to radiators, both max cooling and core heat transfer. With Nertea's atomic engines mod, it becomes borderline impossible to cool the high end nuclear engines after short burns with a couple fuel flow upgrades, even with dozens of the highest end Heat Control radiators. Being able to beef them up a bit would both make them scale with upgraded engines while also making it so that even non-nuclear craft could use one or two small rads to cool other equipment and save on space/part count.

Otherwise I love the mod and really hope to see compatibility with fuel switchers and similar mods in the future.

• 1 month later...

I'm having an issue where no parts will show up for KRnD. I open up the menu in the VAB, select a part, and the window remains blank. I uninstalled tweakscale so I can't imagine why every single part isn't working?

To add to this, in the VAB when I mouseover a part in the menu, it will show "R & D Upgrades: None", so it's like they have the R&D Module, but won't show the upgrade menu?

Thanks,

On 8/13/2020 at 6:26 AM, Crixomix said:

I'm having an issue where no parts will show up for KRnD. I open up the menu in the VAB, select a part, and the window remains blank. I uninstalled tweakscale so I can't imagine why every single part isn't working?

To add to this, in the VAB when I mouseover a part in the menu, it will show "R & D Upgrades: None", so it's like they have the R&D Module, but won't show the upgrade menu?

Thanks,

Some part packs do not play well with KRnD. Do you use KPBS or Stockalike Mining?

1 minute ago, Gyger said:

Some part packs do not play well with KRnD. Do you use KPBS or Stockalike Mining?

I don't know either of those.

I'm also on the newest KSP update, is that the issue potentially? Most mods have been working fine but any number of things could have changed I wonder.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to have this mod installed.
Underrated mod, why the hell we don't have options to spend science on after unlocking the entire tech tree?
The amount of science available in Kerbol system is about 10 times more than the amount of science required to unlock the entire tech tree (not that you'll grab all of them).

Increasing engine ISP is fun. Less fuel, more dV!

Also, I'm patiently waiting for this mod to get updated to 1.10. Hopefully we can get more parameters of parts to be optimized using science!

42 minutes ago, Turf said:

I used to have this mod installed.
Underrated mod, why the hell we don't have options to spend science on after unlocking the entire tech tree?
The amount of science available in Kerbol system is about 10 times more than the amount of science required to unlock the entire tech tree (not that you'll grab all of them).

Increasing engine ISP is fun. Less fuel, more dV!

Also, I'm patiently waiting for this mod to get updated to 1.10. Hopefully we can get more parameters of parts to be optimized using science!

It works fine in 1.10.1 - you just run into the usual combatibility with various part switchers (mostly TweakScale for me,) which limits its utility.

I keep it installed, but I find I never use it because all the parts I'd want to use it on have TweakScale applied.

Makes me wonder if @Lisias could figure something out on his end to make it less fighty...

On 8/26/2020 at 11:17 AM, etmoonshade said:

Makes me wonder if @Lisias could figure something out on his end to make it less fighty...

I gave this a shot, but ended up stalled. There're fundamental design decisions on both TweakScale, Fuel Switches and KRnD that make them pretty hard to interoperate.

KRnD caches all original part's data on startup, and then use that data (together the upgrades info) when you add a part to a vessel to generate the intended values (don't have a clue the reason it doesn't relies on the prefab instead). This essentially overrides or it's overridden by Fuel Switches and TweakScale, that do incremental changes on the part.

In  order to make KRnD to work with Fuel Switches and TweakScale, it should be rewriten to replace that caching mechanism with something that allow FSs and TS changes to be used instead. Didn't dove on the problem enough to estimate how hard this would be.

On 8/26/2020 at 9:17 PM, etmoonshade said:

It works fine in 1.10.1

But then why is the mod labeled for 1.9.x? I presume the mod has not yet suited for the new parts added in 1.10.1 (moho probes, etc.). I'd rather wait.

3 hours ago, Turf said:

But then why is the mod labeled for 1.9.x? I presume the mod has not yet suited for the new parts added in 1.10.1 (moho probes, etc.). I'd rather wait.

Because, from what I've seen, @linuxgurugamer doesn't fix what ain't broke. :D

Have you actually tried it in 1.10.1? From what I understand of how the mod works, it applies itself to everything.

It won't let you upgrade everything, but pretty much any part it can modify allows you to at least upgrade dry mass and max temp.

9 hours ago, Turf said:

Because I support over 225 mods.  I update what needs to be updated, but as of now, I think that only 1 or 2 mods had to be updated for 1.10