[1..x, 1.9.x, 1.10.x] Kerbal Research & Development

linuxgurugamer

7 minutes ago, BrobDingnag said:

This mod is only applying to modded parts (and only some) for me, not for any of the stock parts and particularly not for any fuel tanks or engines. Does this have to do with CKAN or load order or something?

What other mods do you have? The top post says "Please note that this mod is not 100% compatible with other mods which modify parts at runtime (eg TweakScale,  InterstellarFuelSwitchFirespitter, B9PartSwitch)."

1 hour ago, BrobDingnag said:

This mod is only applying to modded parts (and only some) for me, not for any of the stock parts and particularly not for any fuel tanks or engines. Does this have to do with CKAN or load order or something?

You should ALWAYS provide a log file when asking for help.  You are asking some good questions, but how can you be answered if you don't give any information.

And as @DeadJohn said, this is not compatible with other mods which change internal numbers, such as B9PartSwitch, FireSpitter, IFS, or Tweakscale. 

The following modules are not compatible, and will be ignored:

• FSfuelSwitch
  • InterstellarFuelSwitch
  • TweakScale
  • ProceduralPart
  • WingProcedural
  • PartsubtypeSwitcherModule
  • wingManipulator

And of course all Kerbals will be ignored (you can't improve a Kerbal)

3 minutes ago, Fireheart_Industries said:

just did a fresh install of ksp, and got stuck on loading with "Mod(s) DLL that are not compatible with this version of KSP

KRnD 1.16.0.1 GameData\KRnD\Plugins\KRnD.dll "

Kind of hard to say what's going on without any information.

How about a log file to start, and maybe even say what version of KSP you are running

Running current version of KSP (1.8.1)

Game doesn't crash or anything, just gets stuck at the loading screen. Only module manager and MMPatch logs available.

ModuleManager:

[LOG 09:32:45.168] Applying update ReStock/PatchesMH/FuelTank/restock-mh-fueltanks-1875/@PART[Size1p5_Size0_Adapter_01]:HAS[~RestockIgnore[*]]:FOR[ReStock] to SquadExpansion/MakingHistory/Parts/FuelTank/Size1p5_Size0_Adapter_01.cfg/PART[Size1p5_Size0_Adapter_01]
[LOG 09:32:45.170] Applying update ReStock/PatchesMH/FuelTank/restock-mh-fueltanks-1875/@PART[Size1p5_Size2_Adapter_01]:HAS[~RestockIgnore[*]]:FOR[ReStock] to SquadExpansion/MakingHistory/Parts/FuelTank/Size1p5_Size2_Adapter_01.cfg/PART[Size1p5_Size2_Adapter_01]
[LOG 09:32:45.172] Applying update ReStock/PatchesMH/FuelTank/restock-mh-fueltanks-rcs/@PART[monopropMiniSphere]:HAS[~RestockIgnore[*]]:FOR[ReStock] to SquadExpansion/MakingHistory/Parts/FuelTank/MonoPropMini.cfg/PART[monopropMiniSphere]
[LOG 09:32:45.175] Applying update ReStock/PatchesMH/FuelTank/restock-mh-fueltanks-rcs/@PART[Size1p5_Monoprop]:HAS[~RestockIgnore[*]]:FOR[ReStock] to SquadExpansion/MakingHistory/Parts/FuelTank/Size1p5_Monoprop.cfg/PART[Size1p5_Monoprop]
[LOG 09:32:45.177] Applying update ReStock/PatchesMH/Payload/restock-mh-fairing-bases/@PART[fairingSize1p5]:HAS[~RestockIgnore[*]]:FOR[ReStock] to SquadExpansion/MakingHistory/Parts/Payload/fairingSize1p5.cfg/PART[fairingSize1p5]
[LOG 09:32:45.179] :AFTER[RESTOCK] pass
[LOG 09:32:45.179] :BEFORE[SQUAD] pass
[LOG 09:32:45.179] :FOR[SQUAD] pass
[LOG 09:32:45.179] :AFTER[SQUAD] pass
[LOG 09:32:45.179] :BEFORE[SQUADEXPANSION] pass
[LOG 09:32:45.179] :FOR[SQUADEXPANSION] pass
[LOG 09:32:45.179] :AFTER[SQUADEXPANSION] pass
[LOG 09:32:45.180] :LAST[ASSEMBLY-CSHARP] pass
[LOG 09:32:45.180] :LAST[KRND] pass
[LOG 09:32:45.180] :LAST[KSPSTEAMCTRLR] pass
[LOG 09:32:45.180] :LAST[MECHJEB2] pass
[LOG 09:32:45.180] :LAST[MINIAVC] pass
[LOG 09:32:45.180] :LAST[MODULEMANAGER] pass
[LOG 09:32:45.180] :LAST[RESTOCK] pass
[LOG 09:32:45.180] :LAST[SQUAD] pass
[LOG 09:32:45.180] :LAST[SQUADEXPANSION] pass
[LOG 09:32:45.180] :FINAL pass
[LOG 09:32:45.180] Done patching
[LOG 09:32:45.181] Saving Cache
[LOG 09:32:46.997] Done!

#### END PATCH LOG ####
[LOG 09:50:55.046] ModuleManager: 749 patches loaded from cache

[LOG 09:50:55.046] Ran in 2.998s
[LOG 09:50:55.100] Done!

Gonna try running JUST KRnD and see if anything happens

Edited by Fireheart_Industries

Just now, Fireheart_Industries said:

Running current version of KSP (1.8.1)

Game doesn't crash or anything, just gets stuck at the loading screen. Only module manager and MMPatch logs available.

ModuleManager:

There are ALWAYS log files, look at this link for info on where to find them:

Read this BEFORE asking for supporthttp://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/83212-how-to-get-support-read-first/

Ok, so turns out it helps if you install the mod dependencies.

Derp.

Yeah, clean install, just THIS mod, loads fine, can't click on (most) buildings. Debug menu shows errors any time I try to click on buttons, making me stop and think to myself, "There are mod dependencies aren't there...? Yeah, pretty sure the Kottabos Gaming video that led me to this mod mentioned them....yep. There they are. I'm a moron."

So, yeah. Follow the install steps. Usually works best if you do.

Linuxgurugamer, thanks for keeping this mod alive! Definitely one of my favorites of all time. Makes KSP more "rpg"ish, which is really fun. Also is fun to dump science points into specific parts and then you sometimes have to find ways to utilize those parts even in scenarios where you normally would use a different one, simply because it's so efficient or what have you.

I have wondered if there are any known ways to make this work alongside tweakscale somehow (even if "unsupported"), fully realizing that you can't do both on the same part. I.e. I like to use tweakscale for things like 1-4 adapters or other structural parts, but not for things like batteries, monoprop engines, regular engines, solar panels, etc, which are the things I use KRnD for. So in my case, I would avoid them fighting, but by default KRnD won't let you develop a part that can be tweakscaled. Is there a way for me to "turn off" that restriction, knowing full well that they won't play nice if I try to mix them?

Thanks,

18 minutes ago, Crixomix said:

I have wondered if there are any known ways to make this work alongside tweakscale somehow (even if "unsupported"), fully realizing that you can't do both on the same part. I.e. I like to use tweakscale for things like 1-4 adapters or other structural parts, but not for things like batteries, monoprop engines, regular engines, solar panels, etc, which are the things I use KRnD for. So in my case, I would avoid them fighting, but by default KRnD won't let you develop a part that can be tweakscaled. Is there a way for me to "turn off" that restriction, knowing full well that they won't play nice if I try to mix them?

Sorry not at this time.  It's for your own safety

Just now, linuxgurugamer said:

Sorry not at this time.  It's for your own safety

Aww :( Okay. Thanks again for keeping this mod alive. I'll just live without tweakscale. Actually wait. Maybe I can modify things from the tweakscale end to only apply the tweakscale module to certain parts? I'll look into it from that angle.

2 hours ago, Crixomix said:

If I understand your intent correctly and if KRND and Tweakscale work/patch the way I think they do and if you are able to write or edit your own MM patches:

Couldn't you just tweak tweakscale (baddum tish) so that it only tweaks structural parts? Just filter out anything with an engine or a resource or some kind of module and all that's left are structurals. Or simply confine tweakscale to parts that have category = structural. With tweakscale out of the way, KRND would then work for all other regular parts again.

Just a thought. Apologies if it's unhelpful and if I just wasted your time :P

4 hours ago, caipi said:

If I understand your intent correctly and if KRND and Tweakscale work/patch the way I think they do and if you are able to write or edit your own MM patches:

Couldn't you just tweak tweakscale (baddum tish) so that it only tweaks structural parts? Just filter out anything with an engine or a resource or some kind of module and all that's left are structurals. Or simply confine tweakscale to parts that have category = structural. With tweakscale out of the way, KRND would then work for all other regular parts again.

Just a thought. Apologies if it's unhelpful and if I just wasted your time :P

Caipi,

Thanks for the thought, that's basically what I'm hoping to try to do. I'll let you know how it goes!

@caipi

EDIT: It went great. Pasted the following code into a cfg and was able to get tweakscale on only structural parts.

@PART[*]:HAS[~category[Structural]]:FINAL
{
    !MODULE[TweakScale] {}
}

Edited by Crixomix

2 hours ago, Crixomix said:

Aww :( Okay. Thanks again for keeping this mod alive. I'll just live without tweakscale. Actually wait. Maybe I can modify things from the tweakscale end to only apply the tweakscale module to certain parts? I'll look into it from that angle.

That sounds like a good approach

On 1/31/2020 at 9:14 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

this is not compatible with other mods which change internal numbers, such as B9PartSwitch, FireSpitter, IFS, or Tweakscale.

Oh oh oh, I understand now. If any of those mods affects a part, it can't be guaranteed that yours will also affect them, thanks. Well, dang. Then again, maybe I won't need TweakScale if I have yours (I mainly use it for extra oomph with regard to tanks and engines)...

EDIT: Yep, don't need TS anymore. I have torchships. :sticktongue:

Edited by BrobDingnag

3 hours ago, BrobDingnag said:

Oh oh oh, I understand now. If any of those mods affects a part, it can't be guaranteed that yours will also affect them, thanks. Well, dang. Then again, maybe I won't need TweakScale if I have yours (I mainly use it for extra oomph with regard to tanks and engines)...

EDIT: Yep, don't need TS anymore. I have torchships. :sticktongue:

And if you look above, you can easily apply a MM patch to remove tweakscale from parts that you want to use KRnD on. For example, I still have tweakscale enabled but only on structural parts, since I don't need KRnD for those.

• 2 weeks later...

I was going through my persistent file trying to test the limits of this mod by manually increasing the R&D level for a given part (exponential science growth gets hard to meet, you see). I noticed that doing so had no effect on parts in game, despite their entries in persistent retaining the edited values. Is there a separate checksum file where these (real) values are kept that is overriding the changes to persistent? Or is there just a hard limit on improvement for ALL the options, and not just mass (which tops out in game at 9)? 

On 1/14/2020 at 1:45 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

not 100% compatible with ...TweakScale,  InterstellarFuelSwitch

THANK YOU very very much for taking care of RnD.
A Mod that i use now for a very long time.

May i ask why especially the Poodle Engine is not upgradeble?
Can that be a side effect of the two (by depency of other mods)  installed mods in the quote?

Greets and thanks.

Edited by Jansn67

1 hour ago, BrobDingnag said:

I was going through my persistent file trying to test the limits of this mod by manually increasing the R&D level for a given part (exponential science growth gets hard to meet, you see). I noticed that doing so had no effect on parts in game, despite their entries in persistent retaining the edited values. Is there a separate checksum file where these (real) values are kept that is overriding the changes to persistent? Or is there just a hard limit on improvement for ALL the options, and not just mass (which tops out in game at 9)? 

When you say "parts in game", are these pre-existing parts, or new parts?

4 hours ago, leatherneck6017 said:

No. The upgrades are stored in your save file. Make a backup of it, then use Notepad++ to find all of the nodes with KRnD in them. Should be self-explanatory from there.

Welp, that's over 720 instances of it that I have to remove then. Fun.