[1..x, 1.9.x, 1.10.x] Kerbal Research & Development

linuxgurugamer

Love this mod but I've grown very fond of TweakScale , I've seen that they nullify each other.

How much of a technical challenge would it be to make them compatible ? Are we talking long boring hours of line by line bashing or do you need to implement some clever logic to make them get along ? 

I'd love to see them get along.

On 1/14/2020 at 7:44 AM, caipi said:

I do have a small issue with the window height, as you can see in the images:

Reveal hidden contents

screenshot7etkmn.pngscreenshot8rrk5c.png

Mod Version 1.16.0.1 with KSP 1.8.1

As you can see, if a part has a lot of improvable modules, than the last or last few get snipped off.

Would it be possible to make the window size dynamic, so that we can in- or decrease the size? If not, could you increase the height a little bit, so that all options are always possible?

@linuxgurugamer I sent a PR on GitHub to address this issue. Doesn't make the window resize-able as I have no clue how to code that. Just makes the GUI slightly larger, vertically.

1 hour ago, leatherneck6017 said:

@linuxgurugamer I sent a PR on GitHub to address this issue. Doesn't make the window resize-able as I have no clue how to code that. Just makes the GUI slightly larger, vertically.

I'll take a look, thanks.  I may make it a scrollable window, resizable is also possible.  Would be a combination of resizable and scrollable, most likely

2 hours ago, SuppaTenko said:

it seems that Kerbal RnD partialy blocks Modular Fuel Tanks.

For example: I remove all LF from tank and add max Ox. Then try to launch craft. And on launchpad i get default Ox values only - no LF, but no maximum Ox levels.

This mod is incompatible with MFT

A question, @linuxgurugamer just sttarted experimenting with this mod, and I noticed something that struck me as odd, with the jet engines, you have an option to raise atmosphere ISP {VAC ISP too, i guess if you get one you get the other, even if it makes no sense} anyway, i noticed that when improving the ISP for atmosphere you get an engine thrust boost, this was just looking at the JUNO jet engine, but there is also an option for fuel flow, which also raises thrust. It seems odd to me that improving an engines ISP would also improve its thrust, I would have assumed that it would only decrease it's fuel consumption? or is it providing a free thrust increase with no additional fuel consumption because it's easier to model that way? and if so does it make sense to also provide a thrust increase for fuel flow, which, to me i was interpreting as fuel efficiency, and expecting a reduction in fuel consumption? Am I just thinking about it wrong>?

@vardicd There is a direct relationship (by default) between thrust and Isp once they're known (or in our case, once they're set) for a given engine. Any rocket engine proportionally loses thrust when its Isp falls. You'll notice that any LFO engine with (example) 90% of its vac Isp (when ASL) consequently has 90% of its thrust ASL.

To put this relationship into perspective, imagine this: the faster something is moving (in this case, exhaust particles) the harder it hits when it impacts something. The harder hit (against the inside of the engine bell due to velocity) is, therefore, more thrust.

Jet engines are an interesting case as, iirc, the subject of measuring the exhaust velocity of a turbine engine, or just having a unit of measurement for jet engine fuel economy in-game is actually a can of worms. I agree that thrust increasing due to an Isp upgrade for a jet engine is weird. Thrust really should go down or should not change at all when such an upgrade happens. The original dev either wasn't aware of this issue or couldn't be bothered to code the proper behavior. I'm leaning on the former because you learn something new every day.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

I find this mod very difficult to use, for the single reason that it doesn't follow the UI scale settings and there's no way to make the window bigger. I'm playing on a large TV a couple of metres away and so have the UI scaled to 120% or 130% to stay readable, but this mod sticks to 100% scale and the upgrade stats are illegible unless I move closer to the screen. Any chance of UI scaling please?

• 2 weeks later...

I've already posted this on your GitHub, but I'm mentioning this here just in case you check it more frequently.

KRnD uses the old pre-1.5 masses for Making History Engine plates (.075t) instead of the new (~.013-.007t) resulting in negative mass for some or all variants upon upgrading, leaving the part completely broken and unlaunchable. 
Probably just need to update the default mass or add them to the blacklist if you can't. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2020 at 9:46 PM, Steampunk_Wizard said:

I've already posted this on your GitHub, but I'm mentioning this here just in case you check it more frequently.

KRnD uses the old pre-1.5 masses for Making History Engine plates (.075t) instead of the new (~.013-.007t) resulting in negative mass for some or all variants upon upgrading, leaving the part completely broken and unlaunchable. 
Probably just need to update the default mass or add them to the blacklist if you can't. 

KRnD get the info from the part itself at runtime.  The problem is that it doesn't know about part variants, and those part variants change the mass of the parts.  Sometime the amount it changes the mass is much more than the adjusted part mass, resulting in negative numbers.

The solution is not simple, I will have to now read in all the variants (or maybe just the current variant) and include those masses (or negative masses in those cases where the variant is reducing the mass)  in the final calculation

KRnD is getting the mass directly from the part itself.  It does not know about the variants, therefore it stays at 0.075, if you look in the part files, you will see that.

The Wiki is taking the variant info into account, which is why the masses are different

Edited by linuxgurugamer

So here's an odd bug. This morning I updated Kerbal RnD to the 1.16.0.4 version. Now, anytime my Kerbals go on EVA, they... explode. I enabled cheats and enabled "Ignore Max Temperature." Upon EVA I can now see a Kerbal on EVA is automatically full red. I removed Kerbal RnD, and all is normal again. I've got a bunch of mods installed, but it was definitively the switch to the latest version of RnD causing this behavior to manifest. It was working fine for me as of around 5pm CST yesterday.

17 minutes ago, jfjohnny5 said:

So here's an odd bug. This morning I updated Kerbal RnD to the 1.16.0.4 version. Now, anytime my Kerbals go on EVA, they... explode. I enabled cheats and enabled "Ignore Max Temperature." Upon EVA I can now see a Kerbal on EVA is automatically full red. I removed Kerbal RnD, and all is normal again. I've got a bunch of mods installed, but it was definitively the switch to the latest version of RnD causing this behavior to manifest. It was working fine for me as of around 5pm CST yesterday.

People, you need to tag @linuxgurugamer in these posts. He doesn't have time to monitor each of his 300 mods' forum pages manually. Also, log file.

New release, 1.16.0.5

• Added Log.cs, now writes data to seperate log file as well as standard
  • Replaced all Debug.Log lines with Log.Debug
  • Added some checks to only do variant code if variants are available for the part
  • Fixed kerbal on eva exploding immediately from overheat

Seems that I added an extra check which prevented kerbals from being processed correctly

1 hour ago, leatherneck6017 said:

@linuxgurugamer 0.5 breaks the upgrade stats on parts that don't have variants. The stats windows are blank. Player.log

Yuck.  Ill see if i can get some time

On 2/18/2020 at 12:09 AM, General Apocalypse said:

Love this mod but I've grown very fond of TweakScale , I've seen that they nullify each other.

How much of a technical challenge would it be to make them compatible ? Are we talking long boring hours of line by line bashing or do you need to implement some clever logic to make them get along ? 

I'd love to see them get along.

The way things are, you can only have one mod changing stats on a part.  I dont know what you mean by “nullify each other”, unless each hve clauses in the MM to not install if the other is around.  Ill take a look, and if thats the case, will contact @Lisias to discuss the situation and see which should take precedence