[1..x, 1.9.x, 1.10.x] Kerbal Research & Development

linuxgurugamer

3 hours ago, Sebra said:

Btw it seems I found a bug: If a part has several convertors only first can be improved.

Resource converters as in ISRU, right? I've upgraded mine and the improvements apply to all converter modules for me. Can you give a specific part as an example?

38 minutes ago, leatherneck6017 said:

Resource converters as in ISRU, right? I've upgraded mine and the improvements apply to all converter modules for me. Can you give a specific part as an example?

I tested on Material Extractor and it improve only Ore->MKits process. No Dirt to Minerals/Metals. Sorry for bad testing before post. ;)

I doubt Dirt conversion effectiveness should be limited. At least KBPS Mineral Extractor improves both. Who should change behaviour?

I am not against KBPS Centrifuge unable to improve uran enrichment.

Thanks for help.

Edit: KBPS Mineral Extractor Dirt conversion effectiveness sometime improves, sometime not. Not sure why. :(

Edited by Sebra

46 minutes ago, Sebra said:

I tested on Material Extractor and it improve only Ore->MKits process. No Dirt to Minerals/Metals. Sorry for bad testing before post. ;)

I doubt Dirt conversion effectiveness should be limited. At least KBPS Mineral Extractor improves both. Who should change behaviour?

I am not against KBPS Centrifuge unable to improve uran enrichment.

Thanks for help.

Edit: KBPS Mineral Extractor Dirt conversion effectiveness sometime improves, sometime not. Not sure why. :(

I see what you're talking about. It's likely a problem with the code of KRnD not recognizing the following from the part cfg: 

OUTPUT_RESOURCE
{
ResourceName = ExoticMinerals
Ratio = 0.02
DumpExcess = True
}

OUTPUT_RESOURCE
{
ResourceName = RareMetals
Ratio = 0.02
DumpExcess = True
}

I'll look at the code today, but I'm no C# expert. @linuxgurugamer, thoughts?

On 2/12/2020 at 10:30 AM, BrobDingnag said:

I was going through my persistent file trying to test the limits of this mod by manually increasing the R&D level for a given part (exponential science growth gets hard to meet, you see). I noticed that doing so had no effect on parts in game, despite their entries in persistent retaining the edited values. Is there a separate checksum file where these (real) values are kept that is overriding the changes to persistent? Or is there just a hard limit on improvement for ALL the options, and not just mass (which tops out in game at 9)? 

This is happening to me too. Here's what I'm doing.

1) Fresh install

2) Copy a fresh ModuleManager.4.1.3.dll into GameData

3) Copy a fresh ToolbarController 0.1.9.4 into GameData

4) Copy a fresh Clickthroughblocker 0.1.9.5 into GameData

5) Copy a fresh SpaceTux Library into GameData (version unknown)

6) Copy a fresh Kerbal Research and Development 1.16.0.6 

7) Edit GameData/KRnD/MM_Patches/parts.cfg so that costs go up by 1.1 instead of 2, and improve by 1.01 instead of 1

8) Run KSP for the first time since freshly installing.

9) Module Manager automatically creates .ConfigCashe, .ConfigSHA, .Physics, and .TechTree files

10) Create new save

11) Go to VAB & Cheat myself 1000 Science.

12) Using the stock single man capsule and the flea solid fuel rocket, upgrade both dry mass and ISP.

The cost keeps doubling and the improvement stays level, as it would have if the pre-modding parts.cfg file still existed.

This happened to me intermittently in 1.3 - 1.5, and never in 1.7. I haven't played since then. In 1.3-1.5, it seemed like KSP didn't like some values - it would use a cost factor of 0, or 1.3, but never 1.1. Whenever it wouldn't take a value, it would use the defaults. I've tried 0, 1.1, and 1.3 so far, and none of them have worked.

On 3/23/2020 at 9:05 PM, Epiphoskei said:

This is happening to me too. Here's what I'm doing.

1) Fresh install

2) Copy a fresh ModuleManager.4.1.3.dll into GameData

3) Copy a fresh ToolbarController 0.1.9.4 into GameData

4) Copy a fresh Clickthroughblocker 0.1.9.5 into GameData

5) Copy a fresh SpaceTux Library into GameData (version unknown)

6) Copy a fresh Kerbal Research and Development 1.16.0.6 

7) Edit GameData/KRnD/MM_Patches/parts.cfg so that costs go up by 1.1 instead of 2, and improve by 1.01 instead of 1

8) Run KSP for the first time since freshly installing.

9) Module Manager automatically creates .ConfigCashe, .ConfigSHA, .Physics, and .TechTree files

10) Create new save

11) Go to VAB & Cheat myself 1000 Science.

12) Using the stock single man capsule and the flea solid fuel rocket, upgrade both dry mass and ISP.

The cost keeps doubling and the improvement stays level, as it would have if the pre-modding parts.cfg file still existed.

This happened to me intermittently in 1.3 - 1.5, and never in 1.7. I haven't played since then. In 1.3-1.5, it seemed like KSP didn't like some values - it would use a cost factor of 0, or 1.3, but never 1.1. Whenever it wouldn't take a value, it would use the defaults. I've tried 0, 1.1, and 1.3 so far, and none of them have worked.

Oh boy...

After spending way too long reading source code and debug logs and learning way more about C# than I ever wanted, I realized all the parts.cfg override lines were commented out. Issue resolved.

I did notice when I was in all that code, that the algorithm for determining the exponential increase to cost and upgrade is 

public static int calculateScienceCost(int baseCost, float costScale, int upgrades)
        {
            float cost = 0;
            if (upgrades < 0) upgrades = 0;
            for (int i = 0; i < upgrades; i++)
            {
                if (i == 0) cost = baseCost;
                else cost += baseCost * (float)Math.Pow(costScale, i - 1);
            }
            if (cost > 2147483647) return 2147483647; // Cap at signed 32 bit int
            return (int)Math.Round(cost);
        }

Is there a reason this couldn't just be

public static int calculateScienceCost(int baseCost, float costScale, int upgrades)
        {
            float cost = 0;
            if (upgrades < 0) upgrades = 0;
            cost = baseCost * (float)Math.Pow(costScale, upgrades);
            if (cost > 2147483647) return 2147483647; // Cap at signed 32 bit int
            return (int)Math.Round(cost);
        }

My head is spinning from too much code, but it seems to me that

-these two functions are algorithmically equivalent when costScale is 2

-when cost scale is other than 2, the current code makes it 2 for the first increase, and then costScale thereafter. This code makes it always equal to costScale

-this should be cheaper because it performs math.pow one time, instead of calling it in a loop for upgrades number of times.

@linuxgurugamer, it has been discovered that there's a conflict between this mod and BetterSRBs.  I don't know enough about how these mods interact to cite the specific cause, but the issue is described here and here.  BetterSRBs adds a module to the modified SRBs.  I've found that adding this module to your blacklist removes the conflict and allows BetterSRBs to work alongside KRnD.  Would you consider adding the following to your blacklist?

BLACKLISTED_MODULE = ModuleTweakMaxResource

If you can find a better solution I'm certainly willing to entertain it.  But blacklisting the module seems to be the simplest solution.

Edited by OhioBob

13 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

@linuxgurugamer, it has been discovered that there's a conflict between this mod and BetterSRBs.  I don't know enough about how these mods interact to cite the specific cause, but the issue is described here and here.  BetterSRBs uses a plugin that adds a module to the modified SRBs.  I've found that adding this module to your blacklist removes the conflict and allows BetterSRBs to work alongside KRnD.  Would you consider adding the following to your blacklist?

BLACKLISTED_MODULE = ModuleTweakMaxResource

If you can find a better solution I'm certainly willing to entertain it.  But blacklisting the module seems to be the simplest solution.

Adding now

New release, 1.16.0.7

• Added new line to blacklist, thanks to @OhioBob
    •         BLACKLISTED_MODULE = ModuleTweakMaxResource

On 3/19/2020 at 7:26 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

Yuck.  Ill see if i can get some time

The way things are, you can only have one mod changing stats on a part.  I dont know what you mean by “nullify each other”, unless each hve clauses in the MM to not install if the other is around.  Ill take a look, and if thats the case, will contact @Lisias to discuss the situation and see which should take precedence

Thanks man , that would be a game changer.

Anyone knows if this mod have some adverse interaction with kerbin side /kerbal constructs mod? Cause I have problem with missing rnd building, and someone pinpointed that this mod may be a culprit.

Edit nah this not a case

Edited by Syczek

• 3 weeks later...

So I am getting a weird glitch with this mod, when I go into the buildings and try to leave them it acts like I have left them but leaves me stuck in said building. I can activate anything in the settings either so I cannot load save go to settings or go to the main menu, only way to leave is force closing the program.

Edit: Disregard I was missing a needed modded.

Edited by Caithloki

@linuxgurugamer Using KR&D 1.16.0.7 in KSP 1.8.1, when I installed Restock/Restock+ v1.1.0 (released yesterday) KR&D stopped working: selecting parts didn't register, it kept saying 'select a part to upgrade', and a number of upgraded parts seemed to have lost their upgrades- but some still had them.

Downgraded back to Restock 1.0.3 and everything works fine again, so something in Restock 1.1.0 is causing KR&D to stop working. I'll try and do a debugging run tomorrow using just those mods to see if I get any error messages in the logs that can narrow down the cause.

On 4/30/2020 at 11:09 PM, jimmymcgoochie said:

@linuxgurugamer Using KR&D 1.16.0.7 in KSP 1.8.1, when I installed Restock/Restock+ v1.1.0 (released yesterday) KR&D stopped working: selecting parts didn't register, it kept saying 'select a part to upgrade', and a number of upgraded parts seemed to have lost their upgrades- but some still had them.

Downgraded back to Restock 1.0.3 and everything works fine again, so something in Restock 1.1.0 is causing KR&D to stop working. I'll try and do a debugging run tomorrow using just those mods to see if I get any error messages in the logs that can narrow down the cause.

@linuxgurugamerBooted up KSP 1.8.1 using only Restock and KR&D and I think I've found the cause:

[KRnD] Awake(): System.ArgumentException: An item with the same key has already been added. Key: Medium
  at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[TKey,TValue].TryInsert (TKey key, TValue value, System.Collections.Generic.InsertionBehavior behavior) [0x000c1] in <ad04dee02e7e4a85a1299c7ee81c79f6>:0 
  at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[TKey,TValue].Add (TKey key, TValue value) [0x00000] in <ad04dee02e7e4a85a1299c7ee81c79f6>:0 
  at KRnD.KRnD.getVariants (Part part) [0x00070] in <c3c5f99852404d74b80f1fed7bbae96f>:0 
  at KRnD.PartStats..ctor (Part part) [0x00022] in <c3c5f99852404d74b80f1fed7bbae96f>:0 
  at KRnD.KRnD.Awake () [0x003c0] in <c3c5f99852404d74b80f1fed7bbae96f>:0 

This error is not present when I swap Restock 1.1.0 to 1.0.3; with the error, no upgrades are possible as the KR&D window in the VAB/SPH doesn't respond when I click parts. There are loads of errors further down the logs that look like this, for pretty much every part:

[KRnD] updatePart(sGripStrip): System.Exception: no original-stats for part 'sGripStrip'
  at KRnD.KRnD.updatePart (Part part, KRnD.KRnDUpgrade upgradesToApply) [0x00070] in <c3c5f99852404d74b80f1fed7bbae96f>:0 

With Restock 1.0.3 none of that happens and KR&D works fine.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Restock 1.1.0:

nCxJzFB.png

Restock 1.0.3:
HPA0L55.png

Log outputs:

Spoiler

With Restock 1.1.0:

[AddonLoader]: Instantiating addon 'KRnD' from assembly 'KRnD'

(Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime/Export/Debug/Debug.bindings.h Line: 35)

2020-05-01 09:22:13.037 [ERROR]   KRnD: found 5 propellants: MonoPropellant, LiquidFuel, Oxidizer, SolidFuel, XenonGas

(Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime/Export/Debug/Debug.bindings.h Line: 35)

2020-05-01 09:22:13.041 [ERROR]   KRnD: blacklisted 6 parts, which contained one of 8 blacklisted modules

[KRnD] Awake(): System.ArgumentException: An item with the same key has already been added. Key: Medium
  at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[TKey,TValue].TryInsert (TKey key, TValue value, System.Collections.Generic.InsertionBehavior behavior) [0x000c1] in <ad04dee02e7e4a85a1299c7ee81c79f6>:0 
  at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[TKey,TValue].Add (TKey key, TValue value) [0x00000] in <ad04dee02e7e4a85a1299c7ee81c79f6>:0 
  at KRnD.KRnD.getVariants (Part part) [0x00070] in <c3c5f99852404d74b80f1fed7bbae96f>:0 
  at KRnD.PartStats..ctor (Part part) [0x00022] in <c3c5f99852404d74b80f1fed7bbae96f>:0 

[AddonLoader]: Instantiating addon 'UpdatePartInfo' from assembly 'KRnD'

With Restock 1.0.3:

2020-05-01 09:29:44.722 [ERROR]   KRnD: found 5 propellants: MonoPropellant, LiquidFuel, Oxidizer, SolidFuel, XenonGas

2020-05-01 09:29:44.726 [ERROR]   KRnD: blacklisted 6 parts, which contained one of 8 blacklisted modules

On an unrelated note- is there a way to cap the number of upgrades that can be done for a specific characteristic? Reducing mass by 90% or increasing ISP by 100% is unrealistic so I'd like to be able to cap the upgrades at 5 per option, is there an easy way to do this?

Edited by jimmymcgoochie

• 2 weeks later...

Out of curiosity, is this kind of ERR message meaningful? Saw a whole heap of them in the ol' log (here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/76bt110xt5vjhar/KSPLog_TUError.log?dl=0)

[ERR 18:57:17.155] [KRnD] updatePart(JetEngine): System.Exception: no original-stats for part 'JetEngine'
  at KRnD.KRnD.updatePart (Part part, KRnD.KRnDUpgrade upgradesToApply) [0x00070] in <c3c5f99852404d74b80f1fed7bbae96f>:0 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2020 at 5:41 AM, jimmymcgoochie said:

@linuxgurugamerBooted up KSP 1.8.1 using only Restock and KR&D and I think I've found the cause:

This error is not present when I swap Restock 1.1.0 to 1.0.3; with the error, no upgrades are possible as the KR&D window in the VAB/SPH doesn't respond when I click parts. There are loads of errors further down the logs that look like this, for pretty much every part:

With Restock 1.0.3 none of that happens and KR&D works fine.

Screenshots:

Reveal hidden contents

Restock 1.1.0:

nCxJzFB.png

Restock 1.0.3:
HPA0L55.png

Log outputs:

Reveal hidden contents

With Restock 1.1.0:

2020-05-01 09:22:13.037 [ERROR]   KRnD: found 5 propellants: MonoPropellant, LiquidFuel, Oxidizer, SolidFuel, XenonGas

2020-05-01 09:22:13.041 [ERROR]   KRnD: blacklisted 6 parts, which contained one of 8 blacklisted modules

With Restock 1.0.3:

2020-05-01 09:29:44.722 [ERROR]   KRnD: found 5 propellants: MonoPropellant, LiquidFuel, Oxidizer, SolidFuel, XenonGas

2020-05-01 09:29:44.726 [ERROR]   KRnD: blacklisted 6 parts, which contained one of 8 blacklisted modules

On an unrelated note- is there a way to cap the number of upgrades that can be done for a specific characteristic? Reducing mass by 90% or increasing ISP by 100% is unrealistic so I'd like to be able to cap the upgrades at 5 per option, is there an easy way to do this?

Same problem here.

Hi @linuxgurugamer - been trying to figure out some odd behavior in a save, and came across this in my log. I'm not sure if it's a real problem and/or meaningful, but though I'd pass it along. I don't notice any obvious issues with KRND yet, but haven't used it yet, either (on this particular save). Just passing this along in case it's useful.

Error looks like this:

Spoiler

[LOG 21:39:04.539] ReCoupler: ReCouplerUtils: Skipping interstage node: interstage06b on part fairingSize1
[ERR 21:39:06.773] Exception handling event onVariantApplied in class KRnDModule:System.Exception: no original-stats for part 'fuelTank.long'
  at KRnD.KRnDModule.OnVariantApplied (Part p, PartVariant pv) [0x000b3] in <c3c5f99852404d74b80f1fed7bbae96f>:0 
  at EventData`2[T,U].Fire (T data0, U data1) [0x000b0] in <55ba45dc3a43403382024deac8dcd0be>:0 

[EXC 21:39:06.774] Exception: no original-stats for part 'fuelTank.long'
    KRnD.KRnDModule.OnVariantApplied (Part p, PartVariant pv) (at <c3c5f99852404d74b80f1fed7bbae96f>:0)
    EventData`2[T,U].Fire (T data0, U data1) (at <55ba45dc3a43403382024deac8dcd0be>:0)
    UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
    EventData`2:Fire(Part, PartVariant)
    ModulePartVariants:ApplyVariant(Part, Transform, PartVariant, Material[], Boolean)
    ModulePartVariants:RefreshVariant()
    ModulePartVariants:onVariantChanged(BaseField, Object)
    UIPartActionFieldItem:SetFieldValue(Object)
    UIPartActionVariantSelector:SelectVariant(Int32)
    UIPartActionVariantSelector:OnButtonPressed(Int32)
    UIPartActionVariantButton:OnButtonPressed()
    UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventSystem:Update()
[ERR 21:39:11.025] Exception handling event onVariantApplied in class KRnDModule:System.Exception: no original-stats for part 'fuelTank.long'
  at KRnD.KRnDModule.OnVariantApplied (Part p, PartVariant pv) [0x000b3] in <c3c5f99852404d74b80f1fed7bbae96f>:0 
  at EventData`2[T,U].Fire (T data0, U data1) [0x000b0] in <55ba45dc3a43403382024deac8dcd0be>:0 

[EXC 21:39:11.026] Exception: no original-stats for part 'fuelTank.long'
    KRnD.KRnDModule.OnVariantApplied (Part p, PartVariant pv) (at <c3c5f99852404d74b80f1fed7bbae96f>:0)
    EventData`2[T,U].Fire (T data0, U data1) (at <55ba45dc3a43403382024deac8dcd0be>:0)
    UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
    EventData`2:Fire(Part, PartVariant)
    ModulePartVariants:ApplyVariant(Part, Transform, PartVariant, Material[], Boolean)
    ModulePartVariants:RefreshVariant()
    ModulePartVariants:onVariantChanged(BaseField, Object)
    UIPartActionFieldItem:SetFieldValue(Object)
    UIPartActionVariantSelector:SelectVariant(Int32)
    UIPartActionVariantSelector:OnButtonPressed(Int32)
    UIPartActionVariantButton:OnButtonPressed()
    UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventSystem:Update()

Log is here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lnckeho5og1ofcq/KSPLog_FlightTrackerEXC.log?dl=0

Just now, AccidentalDisassembly said:

Hi @linuxgurugamer - been trying to figure out some odd behavior in a save, and came across this in my log. I'm not sure if it's a real problem and/or meaningful, but though I'd pass it along. I don't notice any obvious issues with KRND yet, but haven't used it yet, either (on this particular save). Just passing this along in case it's useful.

KRnD doesn't work with variants or any of the switching modules

2 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

KRnD doesn't work with variants or any of the switching modules

Could this kind of exception have effects on other mods/aspects of the game, or is it a harmless "nope, not going to work with that part, move along" kind of error?

EDIT: Somehow this ended up under your post (time travel...?) - thanks!

Edited by AccidentalDisassembly

20 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Should be harmless

Hmmm, the more I am playing around with this, the more lost I am - I do now notice a strange behavior on my save.

To compare with my heavily modded install, I put KRnD in a (mostly) clean install to test it out. Works. Also seems to work fine with variants - fuel tanks retain their upgraded max capacity when textures are switched (stock part variant), for instance, and stuff like mastodon engines retain their new mass values when applying different mount variants, picking up & re-placing parts, leaving and coming back to editor, going to flight & reverting...

However, on my save, it seems like absolutely no parts will populate the KRnD window with the part's stats/upgrade options in the editor - I click on the window, bring it up, then start clicking on all the unlocked parts I have; none cause upgrade options to show in the window (unlike the clean install). My save has a lot of mods, including TweakScale (which results in a very long list of blacklisted parts), but I *think* at least some of my unlocked parts don't have any of the blacklisted modules, but nevertheless don't seem to work with KRnD in the editor. My intention with the save was to allow upgrades of engines, so I used a custom MM patch to remove TweakScale from all engine parts. Still, none give upgrade options in the editor, including engines whose names are not in the list of blacklisted parts in the log.

There are other things marked as "ERR" in my log re: KRnD and "no original-stats" for parts, like this:

[LOG 21:07:30.529] [Contracts_Window_+] 5/20/2020 9:07:30 PM, Loading Contracts Window + Data
[LOG 21:07:30.531] [Contracts_Window_+] 5/20/2020 9:07:30 PM, Loading Contract Mission: MasterMission
[LOG 21:07:30.540] [FlightTracker]: Loaded 5 kerbals flight data
[ERR 21:07:30.667] [KRnD] updatePart(Mk3-24 Adapter (Short)): System.Exception: no original-stats for part 'Mk3-24 Adapter'

[ERR 21:07:30.756] [KRnD] updatePart(restock-structural-tube-125-1): System.Exception: no original-stats for part 'restock-structural-tube-125-1'

[ERR 21:07:30.756] [KRnD] updatePart(restock-structural-tube-1875-1): System.Exception: no original-stats for part 'restock-structural-tube-1875-1'

Could something else (other than blacklisted modules) be preventing the research options from appearing for all parts, or does it just so happen that all of the parts in my save have blacklisted modules (which is possible, I suppose)?

Also - does KRnD malfunction with B9 Part Switch fuel switching and such as well? Just curious; I didn't see B9PartSwitch in the blacklisted modules settings file.