[1..x, 1.9.x, 1.10.x] Kerbal Research & Development

linuxgurugamer

On 8/12/2020 at 5:26 PM, Crixomix said:

I'm having an issue where no parts will show up for KRnD. I open up the menu in the VAB, select a part, and the window remains blank. I uninstalled tweakscale so I can't imagine why every single part isn't working?

To add to this, in the VAB when I mouseover a part in the menu, it will show "R & D Upgrades: None", so it's like they have the R&D Module, but won't show the upgrade menu?

Thanks,

Same thing is happening for me, I figure it might be conflicting with another parts pack, but I can't figure out which one. 

On 8/12/2020 at 5:26 PM, Crixomix said:

I'm having an issue where no parts will show up for KRnD. I open up the menu in the VAB, select a part, and the window remains blank. I uninstalled tweakscale so I can't imagine why every single part isn't working?

To add to this, in the VAB when I mouseover a part in the menu, it will show "R & D Upgrades: None", so it's like they have the R&D Module, but won't show the upgrade menu?

Thanks,

8 hours ago, Lunar Sea said:

Same thing is happening for me, I figure it might be conflicting with another parts pack, but I can't figure out which one. 

I'd suggest checking out the one of the Structural Tubes - I know they specifically aren't (and can't be) affected by TweakScale currently, unless you've installed one of the dev releases. See this screenshot:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/78b7jhtl2kjhlrd/screenshot0.png?dl=0

If that shows up in KRnD, I presume there's some sort of gunk that TweakScale left behind that is causing it not to detect other parts. If it doesn't, it very well may be a bug in KRnD, or an install issue.

In either case, a log would probably help. Also in either case, testing on a clean install may help, even if it's a pain in the rear.

Edited by etmoonshade

• 2 weeks later...

The KRnD ReStock incompatibility is still present and appears to be an issue with duplicate variants confusing KRnD, but it can be corrected with minimal issue. Delete or disable ReStock\PatchesMH\Coupling\restock-mh-engineplates.cfg and ReStock\PatchesMH\Structural\restock-mh-tubes.cfg. It may only be required to delete one of those two, but consider that untested. My copy of KRnD is now working in KSP 1.10.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've just spent more hours than I care to admit trying to track down the source of the problem (also reported by others) that causes the KRnD window to be blank even when selecting parts. I feel I can confidently say it's an incompatibility with ReStock. However, I was unable to get it to work by removing the two configs mentioned above; or a whole host of other combinations of config removal.

I tried to determine which specific parts were causing the issue, but I had to give up. It *does* consistently work with ReStock version 1.0.3 though. So something was changed between that version and the latest; though I suspect the problem (whether the same or different) started with ReStock version 1.1.0, but I threw in the towel on trying to track it down. 

If there's a way to address the issue(s) without a lot of work, great. If not, the main page should probably be updated to indicate that ReStock and KRnD are incompatible.

Edited by jfjohnny5

@jfjohnny5, as @Dal said it's a issue with duplicate variants names. To be precise its Medium variants on all structural tubes (Restock/PatchesMH/Structural/restock-mh-tubes.cfg). Kerbal R&D populates the part variants dictionary with partVariant.name, but it does not expect a second variant with the same name one the same part. When this happens following Exception is thrown: 

[KRnD] Awake(): System.ArgumentException: An item with the same key has already been added. Key: Medium

This means that the attempt to add the second medium variant will fail because a dictionary entry with the name "Medium" already exists. So until there's a fix just renaming all duplicate Medium variants to something else works.

Or use following MM Patch, which just renames those for you: 

@PART[Tube1,Tube1p5,Tube2,Tube3,Tube4]:AFTER[000_ReStock]
{
  @MODULE[ModulePartVariants] 
  {
    @VARIANT[Medium],1 
    {
       @name = Medium-Orange
    }
  }
}

Edited by ValiZockt

@ValiZockt I had such high hopes that would work. Sadly, it didn't... I tried adding the patch exactly as you wrote it. I also tried using an individual entry for each part (instead of a comma-separated list). The same System.ArgumentException error you pointed out was still present in the log, and KRnD still didn't work.

I then tried adding all 5 of those tube parts to the Restock PatchDisabler.cfg file and KRnD still didn't work. The error is still in the log file, but I know that Restock skipped the parts as I no longer have the Orange variants in the VAB; only the stock variants. There's something else that is incompatible, and I'm having a really hard time trying to run it down. Here's the full error entry from my log:

[ERR 08:44:37.515] [KRnD] Awake(): System.ArgumentException: An item with the same key has already been added. Key: Medium
  at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[TKey,TValue].TryInsert (TKey key, TValue value, System.Collections.Generic.InsertionBehavior behavior) [0x000c1] in <ad04dee02e7e4a85a1299c7ee81c79f6>:0 
  at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[TKey,TValue].Add (TKey key, TValue value) [0x00000] in <ad04dee02e7e4a85a1299c7ee81c79f6>:0 
  at KRnD.KRnD.getVariants (Part part) [0x00070] in <c3c5f99852404d74b80f1fed7bbae96f>:0 
  at KRnD.PartStats..ctor (Part part) [0x00022] in <c3c5f99852404d74b80f1fed7bbae96f>:0 
  at KRnD.KRnD.Awake () [0x003c0] in <c3c5f99852404d74b80f1fed7bbae96f>:0 

(Unrelated to my KRnD issue - your Kerbalism Kompanion Kalkulator is awesome!)

Edited by jfjohnny5

On 7/2/2020 at 3:56 PM, Unixsystem said:

If I could request one thing it would be upgrades related to radiators, both max cooling and core heat transfer. With Nertea's atomic engines mod, it becomes borderline impossible to cool the high end nuclear engines after short burns with a couple fuel flow upgrades, even with dozens of the highest end Heat Control radiators. Being able to beef them up a bit would both make them scale with upgraded engines while also making it so that even non-nuclear craft could use one or two small rads to cool other equipment and save on space/part count.

I added code for this back in April, and @linuxgurugamer merged the PR. I'm surprised there hasn't been a new release at some point since then that would include my changes.

22 hours ago, jfjohnny5 said:

@ValiZockt I had such high hopes that would work. Sadly, it didn't... I tried adding the patch exactly as you wrote it. I also tried using an individual entry for each part (instead of a comma-separated list). The same System.ArgumentException error you pointed out was still present in the log, and KRnD still didn't work.

I then tried adding all 5 of those tube parts to the Restock PatchDisabler.cfg file and KRnD still didn't work. The error is still in the log file, but I know that Restock skipped the parts as I no longer have the Orange variants in the VAB; only the stock variants. There's something else that is incompatible, and I'm having a really hard time trying to run it down.

@jfjohnny5, I can't guarantee anything, but I think its worth a try. I did some small changes and while the following is not a proper fix, can you be so kind and test it if it works for you? https://github.com/ValiZockt/KRnD/releases/tag/v1.16.0.9. Instead of populating the variant dictionary just with the variant name, I instead add a additional index to the dictionary key value. 

Is it possible to add upgrading SAS modes on probe cores to this? Such as putting attitude hold on the Stayputnik or prograde / retrograde to the OKTO? I think that would fit pretty well in with the mod, if it cost enough science to balance it, especially in early game. But since it's discrete instead of continuous I understand it might not work. I apologise if this has been addressed before but I couldn't find anything with the search.

EDIT: Just thought about  service ceilings for jet engines. I know the engine module has a bunch of isp/thrust curves that can be modified fairly easily but I'm not sure this mod could do it, considering how it works.

Edited by Supernovy

• 1 month later...

Ok, I gotta say I don't know how you managed to pull this off but this is actually so much worse than the original version.

And that one still works completely fine with 1.10.1 somehow. 

Here it somehow completely breaks the UI if installed by itself and only starts to work if 3 horrid dependencies are installed that add annoying extra icons to the UI that nobody cares about. I mean i'm not saying it's not good programming practice to encapsulate and split up useful code but only if it's an invisible backend thing. I do not give a rat's ass about which window click is on top or what toolbar is which because all other mods seem to work fine without any of that crap. I'm so glad the old version still works.

Also you might want to include your dependencies in the download because it kind of doesn't work without them. They're YOUR dependencies, it's not like you have to ask permission.

Edited by MoffKalast

7 hours ago, MoffKalast said:

Ok, I gotta say I don't know how you managed to pull this off but this is actually so much worse than the original version.

And that one still works completely fine with 1.10.1 somehow. 

Here it somehow completely breaks the UI if installed by itself and only starts to work if 3 horrid dependencies are installed that add annoying extra icons to the UI that nobody cares about. I mean i'm not saying it's not good programming practice to encapsulate and split up useful code but only if it's an invisible backend thing. I do not give a rat's ass about which window click is on top or what toolbar is which because all other mods seem to work fine without any of that crap. I'm so glad the old version still works.

Also you might want to include your dependencies in the download because it kind of doesn't work without them. They're YOUR dependencies, it's not like you have to ask permission.

[snip] LGG is a godsend for this modding community. Use CKAN and you won't have all these instillation problems.  Years ago CKAN was not that great and I always had trouble, but these days it seems to work perfectly. 

Edited by Vanamonde

On 11/28/2020 at 5:32 PM, eberkain said:

[snip]  LGG is a godsend for this modding community. Use CKAN and you won't have all these instillation problems.  Years ago CKAN was not that great and I always had trouble, but these days it seems to work perfectly. 

True.

Edited by Starhawk
Quote redacted by moderator

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, DeadJohn said:

@linuxgurugamer FYI there seems to be a conflict between KRnD and BDB Bluedog Design Bureau. You already cover it in your top post where you mention compatibility issues with B9PS. If it's something you focus on in the future you can find more info about a specific conflict in this post post within the BDB thread:

Sorry, not going to happen.

@linuxgurugamer

I'm not saying it would be easy to update krnd to work with fuel-switched parts, but I got as far as proving the concept a few years back. If you're interested you can find information here 

Post from 2016

Source code

Not saying you should, or that it would be a good idea, but thought I'd share the information all the same.

I'm quite happy with how krnd works and think supporting multiple fuel switching mods would be nightmarishly difficult, and probably cause lots of issues - but it's there to look at if you or anyone else is curious.

Edited by Kielm