[1..x, 1.9.x, 1.10.x] Kerbal Research & Development

linuxgurugamer

I'm loving this mod! A question though: is there any way to make it so that add-ons (like Better Burn Time) and the in-game maneuver time-to-burn calculator use my improved engines' parameters? I've noticed, in both cases, that the calculations seem to be using the old/stock performance values.

Love it!

Who's ass do i have to kiss to make this mod work with tweakscale?

Would a crowdfunding campaign help? I'm willign to throw 200$ for this....... Anybody else?

I find the game sooo boring once you unlock the tech tree..... I have no reason to go places anv visit stuff.....

Edited by Nicky21

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/6/2022 at 1:59 PM, Nicky21 said:

Who's ass do i have to kiss to make this mod work with tweakscale?

You'll need to kick your own ass and learn modding ;) I wish it was an easy fix but I trust LGG when he says it's not an easy fix.

In theory, KR&D is the best late-game mod because it extends the tech tree forever with small incremental upgrades. In practice, I rarely use KR&D because it doesn't play well with the B9PartSwitch dependency of Near Future, BDB, and similarly great mods.

On 10/18/2022 at 11:43 AM, DeadJohn said:

In theory, KR&D is the best late-game mod because it extends the tech tree forever with small incremental upgrades. In practice, I rarely use KR&D because it doesn't play well with the B9PartSwitch dependency of Near Future, BDB, and similarly great mods.

Just experienced this myself :(. I am now the sadz.

Hello! I'm having a bit of an issue. I definitely expect it to be because I'm using way too many mods, but I was wondering if anyone had experienced this (and/or knew a work-around). I've got a imgur thing with a bunch of pictures I took.

https://imgur.com/a/ecrix4N

I upgraded the temperature tolerance of a few parts, only for neither to work. In the VAB, the airbrake shows that the max temperature (in the main info box) is 4800K, but the side/expanded info box shows it's only 1200K/2400K. In flight, it exploded at 1200K.

With the waffle-fins, the upgrades don't seem to carry over after leaving the VAB? I distinctly remember upgrading their temperature tolerance only for it to remain at 1600K both in the VAB & in-flight.

Any ideas how I can fix or work around this? :p

3 hours ago, Bizobinator said:

Hello! I'm having a bit of an issue. I definitely expect it to be because I'm using way too many mods, but I was wondering if anyone had experienced this (and/or knew a work-around). I've got a imgur thing with a bunch of pictures I took.

https://imgur.com/a/ecrix4N

I upgraded the temperature tolerance of a few parts, only for neither to work. In the VAB, the airbrake shows that the max temperature (in the main info box) is 4800K, but the side/expanded info box shows it's only 1200K/2400K. In flight, it exploded at 1200K.

With the waffle-fins, the upgrades don't seem to carry over after leaving the VAB? I distinctly remember upgrading their temperature tolerance only for it to remain at 1600K both in the VAB & in-flight.

Any ideas how I can fix or work around this? :p

Would definitely need more detail, but most likely is an incompatibility between this mod and other mods you have installed.  If you have any other mod which changes part starts, such has fuel switches, etc, any parts those touch are incompatible with this

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/12/2021 at 1:01 PM, Spoonifer said:

Deeeeyaammm! Caught between the jaws of my two favourite modders, Linuxgurugamer and RoverDude. I think Firespitter is the only installed mod which is preventing the R&D window from showing anything and I need Firespitter to run USI Kolonisation and Life Support mods.

...R&D is awesome though....

;.;

So delighted that this mod now works with everything, it's my most missed mod...

• 2 months later...

@linuxgurugamer

Is there any way to purposefully exclude specific parts from this mod?

I've got a few problem child parts from various mods that don't interact nicely with KRnD, and would like to restrict their use of the KRnDModule,

Would this below config file (if placed within a patches folder within KRnD) work?

@PART[bb_Prop|bb_PropSingle]:AFTER[KRnD]
{
	!MODULE[KRnDModule]
	{}
}

3 hours ago, RB101 said:

@linuxgurugamer

Is there any way to purposefully exclude specific parts from this mod?

I've got a few problem child parts from various mods that don't interact nicely with KRnD, and would like to restrict their use of the KRnDModule,

Would this below config file (if placed within a patches folder within KRnD) work?

@PART[bb_Prop|bb_PropSingle]:AFTER[KRnD]
{
	!MODULE[KRnDModule]
	{}
}

That looks reasonable.  Keep in mind that this mod doesn't play nicely with many other mods, one reason it's not that widely used, I think

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

That looks reasonable.  Keep in mind that this mod doesn't play nicely with many other mods, one reason it's not that widely used, I think

Would it be possible for you to add a config file that we can add a list of part names to disable KRnDModule interactions? 

I think it would go a long way to improving this mods compatibility :) 

44 minutes ago, RB101 said:

Would it be possible for you to add a config file that we can add a list of part names to disable KRnDModule interactions? 

I think it would go a long way to improving this mods compatibility :) 

I'll add an issue on github.  Not sure how difficult it would be at this point

• 1 month later...

Waaaaay back when (six years ago), I wrote in some "compatibility" for IFS into this mod but the PR never made it in.

I say "compatibility" as it was definitely not in the spirit of the word -- it grabbed a reference to the IFS module (public fields) directly from the part that an upgrade was being attempted on at runtime and overwrote them. I'm not sure if "overwriting module fields from other mods at runtime" qualifies as compatibility but hey ho.

I remember testing it out briefly without any noticeable issues, but it was mostly a 'proof of concept' piece, and I have no idea how stable or relevant it would be now. Many of the fields in IFS aren't even the same any more. However, should anyone want to take a look and update the code for KSP 1.12.x to try it out, feel free. 

https://github.com/mmoench/KRnD/commit/d337abdd6cdb4c3f36789683515091bbad2bc2ad

https://github.com/MrKiel/KRnD

Edited by Kielm

• 10 months later...

Parts that have less than 1 decimal resources end up having no resource at all after this patch is applied.  I was having trouble with a small Solid rocket Motor from bluedog not having fuel. It had 0.1 in the cfg. I tested it by editiing other solid rockets and putting their resources to 0.1. Once in game they have no resource. Once I set resource to 1 they have fuel again. Am i making sence?

Edited by dave1904

7 hours ago, dave1904 said:

Parts that have less than 1 decimal resources end up having no resource at all after this patch is applied.  I was having trouble with a small Solid rocket Motor from bluedog not having fuel. It had 0.1 in the cfg. I tested it by editiing other solid rockets and putting their resources to 0.1. Once in game they have no resource. Once I set resource to 1 they have fuel again. Am i making sence?

Given the total lack of activity on this thread, I have no idea what patch you are talking about.  It would have been good to quote the post you were referring to.

23 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Given the total lack of activity on this thread, I have no idea what patch you are talking about.  It would have been good to quote the post you were referring to.

Sorry. I did not mean patch. The mod in general doesn't work with parts that have resource levels below 0.9. 

Just edit any config of a part and set the resource to 0.5. You will see when you launch the game that the part will not have any resource at all. 

1 hour ago, dave1904 said:

Sorry. I did not mean patch. The mod in general doesn't work with parts that have resource levels below 0.9. 

Just edit any config of a part and set the resource to 0.5. You will see when you launch the game that the part will not have any resource at all. 

I haven't checked, yet, but could this just be a display error?

Edit:  Try setting the resource to .7, looks like it might be rounding.  Also try the following please:  1.1, 1.5 and 1.7 and let me know what happens

Edit 2:  Also, are  you looking at max capacity, or current volume?

Edited by linuxgurugamer

47 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I haven't checked, yet, but could this just be a display error?

Edit:  Try setting the resource to .7, looks like it might be rounding.  Also try the following please:  1.1, 1.5 and 1.7 and let me know what happens

Edit 2:  Also, are  you looking at max capacity, or current volume?

Max capacity. Ive tryed if it was a rounding error. Once its set below 0.9 there is no resource in the tanks. 1.1 etc all works. The game recognises it has the resouce in the vab. It will say solid fuel 0/0. When I right click the part there is no resource however. 

6 hours ago, dave1904 said:

Max capacity. Ive tryed if it was a rounding error. Once its set below 0.9 there is no resource in the tanks. 1.1 etc all works. The game recognises it has the resouce in the vab. It will say solid fuel 0/0. When I right click the part there is no resource however. 

Ok, for now, that's the way the mod works.  It deliberately rounds to avoid fractional measurements.  The fact that .8 would go to zero is something to look into, and I'll also look into having a min value.  Frankly, tank sizes of that size don't really make sense

16 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Ok, for now, that's the way the mod works.  It deliberately rounds to avoid fractional measurements.  The fact that .8 would go to zero is something to look into, and I'll also look into having a min value.  Frankly, tank sizes of that size don't really make sense

They do for Bluedog and some of the minor parts they have. I noticed it on separation motors for the Gemini capsule. 

1 hour ago, dave1904 said:

They do for Bluedog and some of the minor parts they have. I noticed it on separation motors for the Gemini capsule. 

I'll look into changing it to allow 1 decimal of fractions, will that suffice?

3 hours ago, dave1904 said:

I sent you a PM with a link to a beta, please let me know how it works