VaNnadin's 16K RSS texture pack [ckan support update][2.2.2] [7 Apr 2020]

VaNnadin

Hello guys! welcome to my 16K RSS texture pack Ver. 2.2.2: ckan support update

This texture pack is High res planet texture pack for Real Solar System. with this texture pack, you can get better visual experience as you can see down below.

WARNING: this texture pack is tested in 32GB ram, i7 9700k cpu, and RTX 2070 gpu. i can't guarantee that there'll be no performance issue in below this spec. 
Minimum ram requirement is 16GB.  you will need more then 16GB for stable play with more mods.

screenshots (outdated captures from 2.0.0 , will be updated soon)

Spoiler

notice that i filmed these screenshot with RSSVE installed with custom cfg and texture files.

uc?id=19KWC1YCmhetI6HP390km1ZdwkcVh_K6V

earth

uc?id=1TDt8XRc4gOxdU5CPtEOpTJonSCeeFrPW

moon

uc?id=1KeMgsvBu0r_tfm24mKO7OqbOdy0DOoAF

Mercury

uc?id=1E0ltygzVpNEeOdLEbaPKESAy6BtS1iiJs

Venus

uc?id=1xSJW2UA5QZf1gBA5fJ-f6A72_FTc67sg

Mars

uc?id=17_nQ3lLEI9SUbTM8YRy6qekicA7hjEhn

saturn

uc?id=1Mmw-a3sSz5clXFFwR4Wnpv89jmT_NmdB

Jupiter

uc?id=1QtIEdlvsH8CBPGVY7AchZGvCCmDouCoA

Uranus

uc?id=1juAjJF_6ELl3O8zuUscTBDGdyqZZaefV

Miranda

uc?id=1Atue4cjUdoOzktdduQLdOi_Xi-5oQ-Sc

Ariel

uc?id=1AwbKvIGGSyYfc6twB4WYMHwC7ozCUbFq

Umbriel

uc?id=1_mkMG-dKRhrlitCCcX4V4j0JTVoq4sOv

Titania

uc?id=1_SwOsgt1VK8aNTCXz9D4TRgZ7nCnI0uE

Oberon

uc?id=18y7v_RLTwrjQFpfyvnmrbtyGcYVw5lTP

Neptune

uc?id=1sy0fpnw4TL96oKIW062V1mJSIJR775Rp

Triton

Download Link: Click here!

For 1.3.X~1.7.3 Temporary Link: Google Drive

For 1.8 Temporary Link: Google Drive

New Github Link: Click here!

the file size is very big so it'll take some time to download.

(SpaceDock doesn't support large file upload for now. this warning will be removed after SpaceDock upload is finished)

Thanks to einsbon for image processing tool (to ver 1.2.1)
Thanks to COMP for much better and accurate, and easy to use image processing tool

Installation: (Excerpt of installation guide from Real Solar System Textures README.txt)

• Unzip the RSS-Textures folder in the GameData folder in the archive to your KSP GameData folder, so you'll have KSP/GameData/RSS-Textures (and inside that lots of dds files)

ckan support:

• search vannadin in ckan!

Requirements:

• you can see requirements and dependancies in RealSolarSystem mod forum page.

known issues:

• some of the normal maps will have problem with principia. I don't know why. problem solved. these normal maps are using the alpha map as x-axis normal map.
  • some KSC locations may have trouble with landscapes surrounding it. for now, I only considered Kennedy Space Center location.

Status update:

• I'm working on make it support ckan. but it's size is too big for github or other ordinary cloud server service. please wait little bit more about ckan support. now ckan support this texture pack!
  • I think I need to make a donation link(of course you will able to download my texture pack without donation). If you have an opinion, please let me know in the comments.

Changelogs

Spoiler

Ver.2.2.2: ckan support

• changed compress method

Ver.2.2.1: Bug patch update

• fixed inverted biome map

Ver.2.2.0: 1.8 support update

• changed png files to DDS DXT5 format

Ver.2.1.1: Bug patch update

• added missing readme file update
  • fixed moon normal map size

Ver.2.1.0 : Bug patch update

• fixed normal map problem: Moon, Mercury, Venus, Mars(Upscaled to 16K)
  • Mercury color map revamped with NASA's albedo data. (barely noticeable, or maybe not?)
  • Venus heightmap revamped with more accurate data
  • Earth color textures fixed:
    • colormap shore noise removed. they look more natural now.
    • Earthsurface texture is changed to match with EarthColor texture.

Ver.2.0.0 : Blue Giants!

• added Uranus and Neptune's 8K color map textures
  • added ice giant's satellites 16K color map/normal map/height map textures: 
    Uranus
    •   Ariel
    •   Miranda
    •   Oberon
    •   Titania
    •   Umbriel

Neptune

•   Triton
  • now Saturn and Jupiter have brand new 16K color map textures
  • Earth color map is changed using NASA's data and original 16k textures
  • Moon color map is changed using NASA's brand new CGI moon kit
  • Uranus ring texture is included as dummy data. I made personal custom cfg but not gonna release it. at least for now. it's not perfect.
  • planned feature update
    • add more HQ textures
    • Real Exoplanets HQ textures(not sure)
    • 16bpp HDR bump map for earth and moon(it's already finished. I'm waiting for kopernicus expansion plugin update.)
    • texture and cfg for gas giant's rings. as I said, I already have it but not perfect so gonna need some time.

Ver.1.2.1
-organize folders for new versions: higher over 1.3.x KSP version
-small change of EarthHeight.dds texture
-README.txt added

Ver.1.2.0
-changed EarthHeight.dds texture: rescaled to 8k size
-changed Earthsurface.dds texture: better shore color
-some small island deleted/distorted due to rescaling of EarthHeight.dds texture.

Ver.1.1.0
-Saturn color map color correction
-changed Saturn ring texture

Ver.1.0.1
-Fixed inverted Mars normal map texture

Ver.1.0.0 Initial version
-Adds Earth, Moon, Mars, Venus, Mercury 16K (16384X8192)  normal map,  bump map, color map
-Earth bump map small detail: Add Dokdo, Correction of North Pole Glacier, Delete Tibet Autonomous Region Lake due to water level problem

planned features

Spoiler
  • add more HQ textures
  • Real Exoplanets HQ textures(not sure)
  • 16bpp HDR bump map for earth and moon(it's already finished. i'm waiting for kopernicus expansion plugin update.)
  • texture and cfg for gas giant's rings. as i said in changelog, i already have it but not perfect so gonna need some time.

image source

Spoiler

Some planetary imagery is derived from work by Steve Albers and NASA / Jet Propulsion Laboratory, and some from the Celestia Motherlode (itself in the main sourced from JPL). Used by permission of the licenses for non-commercial release.

Ver.2.0.0 additional source
https://www.deviantart.com/master-bit/gallery/65534146/planetary-textures
https://www.deviantart.com/fargetanik/gallery/57723882/planetary-textures
https://www.deviantart.com/snowfall-the-cat/gallery/48193721/add-ons-and-files

License: CC-BY-NC-SA 4.0

Edited by VaNnadin
2.2.2 update+title fix

On 1/17/2020 at 6:27 AM, Julian_S said:

Maybe try to upload to google drive? Maybe that'll work?

i asked about it to spacedock author, but not answered yet so i added temporal google drive link. you can download now.

Edited by VaNnadin

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, VaNnadin said:

this is just a texture pack. you can use it whatever your ksp version is.

thank you. I am aware of this. I was just asking what version of KSP you guys are running and if anybody still runs this on 1.6.1

(long time RSS player here, thinking about jumping from 1.6.1 to 1.7.3 now, or rather wait for kopernicus and then go straight to 1.8.1)

It was just asking myself if the performance improvements in the base-game would make a noticeable difference running such heavy textures.

1 hour ago, Dafni said:

thank you. I am aware of this. I was just asking what version of KSP you guys are running and if anybody still runs this on 1.6.1

(long time RSS player here, thinking about jumping from 1.6.1 to 1.7.3 now, or rather wait for kopernicus and then go straight to 1.8.1)

It was just asking myself if the performance improvements in the base-game would make a noticeable difference running such heavy textures.

lol i'm waiting for 1.8 update of RO and RP-1. while I edit my custom RSSVE config and textures.

but some mods are not maintained anymore, so some of my favorite mods are not gonna work with 1.8. 

after all, RAM CAN FIX ANY PROBLEMO

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, siimav said:

@VaNnadin RSS for KSP 1.8.1 is now out and changed all the remaining png textures to DXT5 format. This means that you would need to do the same with your textures for them to work with the latest release.

ROGER i'm working on it. thanks for report.

and for now, you can use my texture pack by paste it to original one and delete png images. most of works (including earth, moon, mars) are using dds textures.

Edited by VaNnadin

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Getting Kopernicus error using this texture pack. I tried renaming the biome files from DDS to PNG and that loaded up without any errors on 1.8.1. Wow, looks incredible. Earth is so pretty. I am currently orbiting around Umbriel in Uranus system. The stock texture pack made Umbriel a pixelated mess. This actually makes it look pretty good! Gonna use this texture pack from now on! Was kinda weird that the fix was just renaming biome files from. DDS to .PNG.  Am I doing something wrong?

Edited by Wilds

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.