Tesla Thread

GearsNSuch

1 hour ago, RCgothic said:

The model X above is much better than the trailers other launched have used, but this is better still:

Yes why use mismatched logos. Yes you see it from time to time, usually stupid logo or name changes, there some logos are much harder to replace than others but here its tape on an car. 
Still think an van is better as you can bring all the astronauts and the support crew as one unit but understand they want some product placement :)

• 4 weeks later...

Some Tesla employees are now saying they were fired for declining to come back to work when the plant re-opened, despite Musk's statement that said if Tesla employees didn't feel safe coming back to work, then they would not be punished.

You can't run an assembly line without a minimum set of employees. I mean, I get it if Tesla is saying, "We can't just have you stay out for another year because you don't feel safe." But at the same time, Musk did the whole grandstanding bit where he threw a tantrum about the county not allowing the factory to open when he wanted it, and then he promised that people could stay out if they wanted to. CEO Twitter promises are worth the paper they are printed on, I guess.

Lots of industries are having the same COVID issues. The difference is that not a lot of industries had a CEO that went on a Twitter rampage demanding the factory must be allowed to re-open.

2 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

You can't run an assembly line without a minimum set of employees. I mean, I get it if Tesla is saying, "We can't just have you stay out for another year because you don't feel safe." But at the same time, Musk did the whole grandstanding bit where he threw a tantrum about the county not allowing the factory to open when he wanted it, and then he promised that people could stay out if they wanted to. CEO Twitter promises are worth the paper they are printed on, I guess.

He's not very consistent with his tantrums either - didn't say much at all when the Shanghai factory was closed for 2 months

6 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

Lots of industries are having the same COVID issues. The difference is that not a lot of industries had a CEO that went on a Twitter rampage demanding the factory must be allowed to re-open.

To be fair many of the other plants were not ever closed in the first place.

Also, some employees who were fired saying stuff... fired people say a lot of stuff (some is true, some isn't—not saying I know which it is in this case, but they have an interest in painting a specific picture).

Edited by tater

16 hours ago, Gargamel said:

I might be a bit biased since the factory is about 40 minutes from me, but I really like this truck over the cybertruck by far:

52.5 grand is not a bad base price, but the range is pretty weak (250). Seems like if they are serious is should cost less than Cybertruck, not more. The 2 WD Cybertruck is 40k for the same range (4WD less useful than range). Seems like to be price competitive they need it to beat/equal either single motor Cybertruck because of range parity, or dual motor Cybertruck on the 4WD. Over 2k more for less range, fewer passengers.

All that said, looks pretty cool, and the motor tech is interesting. The site has all the data for the 2020 version, but under tech it leads to a preorder for the 2021 version. Odd.

3 minutes ago, tater said:

Seems like if they are serious is should cost less than Cybertruck, not more

I do have an issue with calling the cybertruck a truck.  I don't see a practical way to get a stack of 4x8's (plywood) into the back, nor a way to carry a fridge.   To me this is like comparing a Honda Pilot to a Ford F150.   They're completely different vehicles.   I'm not buying a truck to look cool.  I got my VW for that (quit laughing).  I'm buying a truck to haul lumber and deliver my furniture.   Although, this being a shortbed truck, that raises it's own limitations. 

I have never understood the obsession with "4x8 sheets of plywood". Just how often do people need to carry them, anyway? It seems like a really niche circumstance that someone would:

1. need to carry them often enough that paying for delivery is less cost-effective than having a light-duty truck
  2. not need to carry them so often as to justify a heavy-duty truck like a flatbed

1 hour ago, Gargamel said:

I do have an issue with calling the cybertruck a truck.  I don't see a practical way to get a stack of 4x8's (plywood) into the back, nor a way to carry a fridge.   To me this is like comparing a Honda Pilot to a Ford F150.   They're completely different vehicles.   I'm not buying a truck to look cool.  I got my VW for that (quit laughing).  I'm buying a truck to haul lumber and deliver my furniture.   Although, this being a shortbed truck, that raises it's own limitations. 

You load plywood or sheetrock and sofas in from the side?

8 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

I have never understood the obsession with "4x8 sheets of plywood". Just how often do people need to carry them, anyway? It seems like a really niche circumstance that someone would:

1. need to carry them often enough that paying for delivery is less cost-effective than having a light-duty truck
  2. not need to carry them so often as to justify a heavy-duty truck like a flatbed

Yeah, I bet 99% of pickups get used as pickups once a year to haul a xmas tree.

9 minutes ago, tater said:

Yeah, I bet 99% of pickups get used as pickups once a year to haul a xmas tree.

I didn't say that. It's specifically the "4x8 full-sized bed" thing I was talking about.

Consider my dad. He's owned trucks for about 40 years. But he's always got *stuff* in the back of his truck. Tools, chainsaws, dog kennels, fuel cans ... sometimes an elk if the hunting prospered for him. If he wants to haul plywood (or firewood), that's why he's got a trailer. And that trailer (that he built himself) has lasted for the entire 40 years. With some maintenance, a utility trailer is much more durable than a truck anyway.

In fact, if he's going to get a Christmas tree, he'll probably just bring the trailer for that, too.

10 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

I didn't say that. It's specifically the "4x8 full-sized bed" thing I was talking about.

I know what you were talking about, I was talking about the pickups I see all day long, every day here in NM. The number of full bed truck I see is very small. They tend to be regular trucks, not crew cabs, and much less fancy—because they are actual work trucks. My buddy has a crew cab long bed (he builds condos), and while new and nice, he truck is really beat up, because it's a work truck, not "precious."

Still, one day driving into town I decided to count the first 100 pickups I saw, and about 90 were crew cabs with short beds, and so shiny/perfect they were clearly not used much as trucks. The 10 that were full bed trucks were mostly older, some were crew cabs—and many of those had guys in all 4 seats, as they were going to a job site. I bet hauling an xmas tree was the only stuff past groceries/etc put in the bed of the other 90%. Maybe a huge flatscreen TV from costco?

Consider my dad. He's owned trucks for about 40 years. But he's always got *stuff* in the back of his truck. Tools, chainsaws, dog kennels, fuel cans ... sometimes an elk if the hunting prospered for him. If he wants to haul plywood (or firewood), that's why he's got a trailer. And that trailer (that he built himself) has lasted for the entire 40 years. With some maintenance, a utility trailer is much more durable than a truck anyway.

In fact, if he's going to get a Christmas tree, he'll probably just bring the trailer for that, too.

Yeah, I agree, most people, even people with lots of stuff in the truck don't haul lumber much. A bunch of my friends have tool boxes behind the cab filled with tools (locked), but they still don't haul lumber much. The tool box makes hauling furniture, etc less likely unless it's small.

Rural use will differ from in town. I see in town more than rural, I think the truck outside of ABQ get a lot more daily use. heck, even a trip to Costco is different if you drive an hour into ABQ from the middle of nowhere. You stock up.

Anyway, I'm guessing Cybertruck specifically, and electric trucks in general are "city" trucks, at least until range is higher.

Edited by tater

1 hour ago, tater said:

You load plywood or sheetrock and sofas in from the side?

What do you mean?   A fullsize bed is specifically designed to take 4x8 sheets of plywood lying flat.  

1 hour ago, mikegarrison said:

I have never understood the obsession with "4x8 sheets of plywood". Just how often do people need to carry them, anyway? It seems like a really niche circumstance

Everything is a niche circumstance depending on your point of view.   If I'm building cabinetry for somebody, I really don't want those $350 sheets of bubinga plywood bent when I get them to the shop. 

There are some people who drive trucks as status symbols, and then there are others who actually use them. 

15 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

What do you mean?   A fullsize bed is specifically designed to take 4x8 sheets of plywood lying flat.  

Cybertruck can put flat sheets in with the tailgate flat.

Musk said the end of the tailgate would have a bit that flips up to prevent sheet stock from slipping out.

_____________ ____|

Bed                   tailgate down with stop

It's a ~6.5ft bed, and a ~2ft tailgate. Bed width is over 5 feet (5.5?).

Edited by tater

8 hours ago, tater said:

Cybertruck can put flat sheets in with the tailgate flat.

Musk said the end of the tailgate would have a bit that flips up to prevent sheet stock from slipping out.

_____________ ____|

Bed                   tailgate down with stop

It's a ~6.5ft bed, and a ~2ft tailgate. Bed width is over 5 feet (5.5?).

Ok, that will work, but I can't get anything tall in there, I think, and it still looks stupid.  :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.