"Fastest" Juno-powered Airplane

Laie

A while ago, we had this:

This favored bundles of Junos, "aircraft" only in the sense that they were moving through the air. I'd like to give it a reboot that prefers  something I'd call "actual planes".

Rules:

• stock vessels, no part mods, nothing that changes the physics
  • flight has to take place on stock Kerbin
  • only Juno engines
  • plane must not rely on launch clamps or parachutes.

Score:

• airspeed achieved in level flight, multiplied with (vessel mass / number of Junos)
  • where mass is the mass in tons, at the time when airspeed has been reached.
  • Hint: At some point, fuel consumption starts to outpace acceleration. You will have your best score a little before you reach your highest velocity.

Submission:

• please, no more than three pictures or so.
  • it must be possible to determine vessel mass from the submitted pictures. That's easy with data display mods, or if your KSP version has the delta-V readout, just click the stage to show current mass (not very precise, but sufficient so far). In the worst case, we need vessel mass from SPH, fuel levels at take off, and fuel levels at the time of measured airspeed.
  • do your own math: your submission post must state airspeed, mass, engine count, and the score you get from it. I may check your data (probably will), but don't just drop pictures in my lap and leave it to me to piece things together myself.
  • if anyone asks you for your craft file, you must deliver.

Example:
545m/s, 6 engines, 15 tons -> 545 * (15 / 6) -> 545 * 2.5 -> a score of 1362

Sonic-18.jpg

Leaderboards
(please note that the clickable links will take you to the respective entries / posts)

Variable Incidence Wings:
2432 - Laie, 600m/s at over 4t/engine
2346 - swjr-swis (648m/s on variable-incidence wings)
2275 - swjr-swis - A Mk3 stub going 630m/s, 3.5t/engine
1184 - Lisias - 600ms on 2t/e with an actual passenger airplane. Look Ma, no ore ballast!

Supersonic:

1362 - Laie (posted above)
1281 - Zeiss Ikon - barely supersonic at 3.6t/engine
1257 - Zeiss Ikon (503m/s on 2.5t / engine)
1183 - Aetharan - with a a pre-existing passenger airliner
683 - Klapaucius with an unburdened Ultralight

Subsonic:

3570 - swjr-swis -  a flying wing flounder kind of thing that seems to come from a SF movie
2370 - Laie
2024 - purpleivan  fixed wing ore carrier
1840 - purpleivan the very first entry to this challenge
1575 - Lisias - fixed wing ore carrier
788 - Mars-Bound Hokie  scratching the sound barrier
637 - Zeiss Ikon

Missing your entry? I'm not updating this all that often, and may have simply missed your entry. Poke me if you think you should be up here but ain't.

Edited by Laie

Hey! A revival of my challenge that might actually produce things that resemble a plane!

Thanks for reviving this @Laie. Good to see that you've implemented an actual scoring system - my challenge was a bit lazy in that respect. I'll give it a try if my increasingly-limited KSP time permits :)

Edited by RealKerbal3x

On 1/16/2020 at 7:54 AM, Laie said:

How do you people think of infinite fuel? A plane isn't really in a stable situation as long as it constantly loses mass. Mine keeps climbing and accelerating slowly. I took the screenshot at 15t because it's nice round number, but would have gotten a better score had I made the picture a little before.

Great to see this rebooted!  As for infiinite fuel--I don't like it. The whole idea of your challenge is to build a real plane. And real planes drink fuel; that is part of the design challenge.

Thought I'd have a crack at the challenge this morning, so here's the travels of Long Juno.

Val's ready to go.

Spoiler

5EvIzMi.png

This thing takes almost the entire length of the runway to get airbourne, even after holding it on the brakes while spining up the Juno. The nose goes up at 70-75m/s.

SG3UnOr.png

Pretty pathetic speed at this point, but it's slow building.

Spoiler

PVcGTvx.png

Ok... time for the speed run. In previous test I was getting the best performance at about 1500m, so I climbed to that and then started to build speed again.

I grabbed a sequence of images to show that the speed (184m/s) was maintained even in a very shallow climb. Mass was a little over 10 tons.

CAL9o7B.png

Spoiler

R4TxasL.png

Spoiler

x9pJCvM.png

The "speed" run done it was time for Val to head home.

Spoiler

BqShGZw.png

Long Juno doesn't have the best manouvering characteristics, but it lands quite well.

Spoiler

ksJ24z5.png

Wheels down and it even made it onto the runway.

x4of8pW.png

Val's quitely satisfied with the flight.

Spoiler

4pmCaVZ.png

My first attempt at building a plane for this, was Little Juno, which although faster (293m/s) was less than 1/3 the mass, so would do worse in the points calculation.

After that I decided that probably the best bet was to make something fairly heavy, but long and thin and still running on the single Juno.

In the end the points came to speed 184 * (10/1) = 1840

Edited by purpleivan

1 hour ago, purpleivan said:

My first attempt at building a plane for this, was Little Juno, which although faster (293m/s) was less than 1/3 the mass, so would do worse in the points calculation.

Many thanks for taking part in this challenge. After a few days without replay I was afraid that it was stillborn. However, for completeness' sake, was the vessel mass exactly ten tons at the time you made 184m/s? There's nothing about mass in any of your pictures. As you have KER, it would be easiest if you just opened the display or added a line to your HUD.

However... I didn't think of subsonic planes when I made this challenge.

So while I congratulate you for you impressive score, I'm sorry to say that the leaderboard will be split between subsonic and supersonic entries. Please don't take this as a cheap trick to protect my score-- I honestly believe this distinction to be both meaningful and necessary.

1 hour ago, purpleivan said:

fairly heavy, but long and thin and still running on the single Juno.

Hmm, flying at high loads / low speed requires wings more than anything else, I'd say. Hold on...

Nuri.jpg

Acceleration is slow, and climb rate is nothing to write home about. It looks as if it might work better at higher altitudes, but I got bored waiting for it to get there.

That would be 202m/s with 10.77t, for a score of 2175.

Also, mandatory hat tip to cupcake whenever I do anything with flying wings

6 hours ago, Klapaucius said:

As for infiinite fuel--I don't like it. The whole idea of your challenge is to build a real plane. And real planes drink fuel; that is part of the design challenge.

Good point.

Hmmm. I haven't mentioned staging, either. Guess it will also go into a separate category, when and if it happens.

Nuri-Bomber.jpg

Another five tons of payload, taking off with any more than that would require a longer runway. Again, it looks as i it will do better at altitude, but has barely enough power to climb. Right now it's 151m/s @ 15.695t -> 2370 and score is still rising.

I wonder if I could submit it to @Kernel Kraken's Bomber Procurement Challenge...

Building the heaviest plane off a single Juno seems to be an interesting challenge as well, but is not quite what I had in mind. It definitely needs to be it's own category (and preferably it's own challenge, but i won't run two of them).

• only Juno engines

Anyway i missed the dates of the challenge as i read lais the challenge is off but was not that easy as the above mentioned rules and more of them pushes brain to use it not only the simplest job. 

Please help with the advanced construsction refillink the tank. 

Much love:> 

Edited by michaelbezos1
add the tank

1 hour ago, Laie said:

Many thanks for taking part in this challenge. After a few days without replay I was afraid that it was stillborn. However, for completeness' sake, was the vessel mass exactly ten tons at the time you made 184m/s? There's nothing about mass in any of your pictures. As you have KER, it would be easiest if you just opened the display or added a line to your HUD.

The KER displaying the mass was in the images in my post. It's at the bottom of the display to the left of the altimeter, showing 10,098kg

CAL9o7B.png

46 minutes ago, michaelbezos1 said:

Guys please help me refilling the tanks at the advanced construction training. 

I admit that I don't even understand the problem. I suggest you ask in Gameplay Questions.

49 minutes ago, michaelbezos1 said:

Guys please help me refilling the tanks at the advanced construction training. 

As Laie said, the best place for getting help on playing the game is here.

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/forum/16-gameplay-questions-and-tutorials/

Just go there, click the green "Ask a question" button, which will create a post in that section of the forum. It's a much better place to ask questions, as more people will see it there.

Best of luck.

I don't know if you are okay with probe cores or not. I took my original little runabout (named Roald after Roald Dahl).

YPv1mMR.png

The Kerbals produce a lot of drag, so I redid the plane as  a remote control.  Here it is in a climb. The best I could to was just over 600.  It is really difficult to keep this plane level, so it is either a bit of a climb or a dive.  At 6400, you lose power due to the air thinning.

pG7A22C.png

Top speed 605.5.  Mass at time 554 kg.

The only problem is that tricycle gear is horrendous. The plane is too light to alleviate the terrible bouncing, so landing is not often very successful.

On 1/15/2020 at 1:54 PM, Laie said:

Rules:

• only Juno engines

Score:

• airspeed achieved in level flight, multiplied with (vessel mass / number of Junos)
  • where mass is the mass in tons, at the time when airspeed has been reached.
  • Hint: At some point, fuel consumption starts to outpace acceleration. You will have your best score a little before you reach your highest velocity.

Submission:

• pictures showing all details necessary to rate the plane (vessel mass, number of engines, airspeed achieved).
  • with data display mods, it's possible to have that all in one picture. Though a second to see the plane from another angle won't hurt. But please don't swamp us with pictures, a small selection will be enough.
  • do your own math: your submission post must state airspeed, mass, engine count, and the score you get from it. I may check your data, but don't just drop pictures in my lap and leave it to me to piece things together myself.
  • if anyone asks you for your craft file, you must deliver.

Okay, this craft (I call it Fleetfoot B, third version, though the first was about the same speed) is 100% stock, 1.8.1 with no BG or MH parts.  It masses 2.7 T at takeoff; it'd be 2.4 T with empty tanks.  Single Juno, takes off from the runway.  I haven't tried landing it, because I suck at landing in game.

tYP8p8X.png

I got 245 m/s in level flight, so I calculate that as 245 * 2.6 (with mostly full tanks)/1 = 637 -- not spectacular, even for the subsonic class.  I may need to work at this a bit...

C0XHYYa.png

9 hours ago, Klapaucius said:

I took my original little runabout

That's super purty! I hope you don't mind if I don't add it to the scoreboard, though. Nothing wrong with the vessel as such, I'm fine with probe cores: it's just a bit of an underachiever, that's all.

Regarding your next one, I see that you're still climbing fast. Are on some kind of ballistic trajectory? Will the plane be just as fast in level flight? I'm willing to take your word for it, but feel that I have to ask.

10 hours ago, Zeiss Ikon said:

I calculate that as 245 * 2.6 (with mostly full tanks)/1 = 637

Added to the board. Looks sharp! Makes me wonder if it could be made to go supersonic...

1 hour ago, Laie said:

Makes me wonder if it could be made to go supersonic...

I'd have to dive pretty steep and long to get this one supersonic.  Is there a drag reduction somewhere above 350 m/s?  If so, I might fly it again and try that.

Meanwhile, I've just been testing Fleetfoot II, a four-engine Mk. 2 that can get 340 m/s in level flight -- if I gain by getting supersonic, I'm confident this one can get there in a dive.  It's also around 3x as heavy, so should score better if I can get a bit more speed out of it.

And I've already got Fleetfoot III on my mental drawing board.

Just now, Zeiss Ikon said:

Is there a drag reduction somewhere above 350 m/s?  If so, I might fly it again and try that.

Yes. In my experience, it's hardest at about 360-370m/s. If you make it to 380, you're definitely through the worst.

The one I posted in the OP climbed to about 8km before diving to 5km, it took me several  attempts to get it *just right*. If altitude dropped under 5km before I made it to 370m/s, I wouldn't make it at all.

Ladies and gentlekerbals

May I present 

The Artyom MK1.