Space Station Name Ideas

SuperMiiBrother

LOL, such creative names!

To be fair, despite my intention to give my bases and stations interesting and novel names, I usually end up going the boring route just out of ease and usability. I mean, it's much easier to find the station you're looking for in the tracking station if its called Minmus Station Alpha isn't it?

But here's some of my ideas for naming themes.

- Precious metals or gemstones + synonyms for adventurous sounding words, ex: The Emerald Emissary, The Silver Sentry... extra points if you match the color of the metal/gem to the color of the planet it is on or orbiting.

- Locations from a favorite series of novels, comic books, or TV shows, ex: Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe, Terok Nor...

- Mythological concepts, places or heroes, ex: The Riddle of the Sphinx, The World Tree, The Shield of Achilles...

- Do what most explorers of the past did and name it after something from your own home region, or name it after the first Kerbal to go there, ex: New Dallas, Jebediahtown...

- Just string together some vaguely impressive words, ex: Timeless Abyss, Cosmic Majesty, Ethereal Twilight...

- If it's a science station name it after famous scientists, ex: Hawking, Maxwell...

- If it's a fuel depot name it after famous port cities, ex: San Francisco, New Orleans, Singapore, Shanghai...

Edited by HvP

I currently have Mun Fuel Dump as it's not really a proper station (with Munlander1 currently docked to it). 

Not done a manned flight to Minmus yet in this career but just got a contract for a Minmus station so will be launching MinStation1 next.

I like to be able to look in the tracking station and know what's what just from the list of names. I think my current list is:

KommSat1a, KommSat1b, KommSat1c and KommSat1d (RemoteTech relays for comms as far as Minmus)

KerbScan1 and KerbScan 2 (different ScanSat scanners)

Then the similarly roled MunKomm1a/b/c, MunSat1/2, and MinKomm1a/b/c

Minstation1 will be taking MinScan1 and MinLander1 with it when it goes.

The only variations I've really done from that naming convention when was I was first working on my docking scrip in kOS, where I launched an unmanned target vessel called Agena for obvious reasons.

Imagination?  Who needs it :D

I have: "Low Kerbin Tanker"(*), "Gate Station", "Mun Station", "Minmus Station", "Duna Station", "Gilly Station", "Eve Station", "Dres Station"(**), "Jool Asteroid Station"(**)
(*) Not really a station, has a probe core but no space for crew.
(**) Currently in transit to their destinations.

Does anyone notice a pattern? :cool:

I just go with the Champaign mod which gives names to things. It makes me absolutely unable to remember the name of things, but I usually don't really care (I have an issue around associating things and their names, goes for people, movies, bands and spaceships, nothing really bad, but it makes naming things useless).

And I just know what station is, according to its orbit. Who needs names anyway ?

And I almost never send twice the same station in space. Almost. Never. I did not totally do it yesterday because of loading an old save.

And my com-relays all have the same name. And it's ok.

Names are overrated anyway (also, you don't want to be in my head, it's a mess)

9 minutes ago, Okhin said:

I just go with the Champaign mod which gives names to things. It makes me absolutely unable to remember the name of things, but I usually don't really care (I have an issue around associating things and their names, goes for people, movies, bands and spaceships, nothing really bad, but it makes naming things useless).

And I just know what station is, according to its orbit. Who needs names anyway ?

And I almost never send twice the same station in space. Almost. Never. I did not totally do it yesterday because of loading an old save.

And my com-relays all have the same name. And it's ok.

Names are overrated anyway (also, you don't want to be in my head, it's a mess)

oh

16 minutes ago, AHHans said:

I have: "Low Kerbin Tanker"(*), "Gate Station", "Mun Station", "Minmus Station", "Duna Station", "Gilly Station", "Eve Station", "Dres Station"(**), "Jool Asteroid Station"(**)
(*) Not really a station, has a probe core but no space for crew.
(**) Currently in transit to their destinations.

Does anyone notice a pattern? :cool:

SUPERMASSIVE BLACK HOLE STATION.

Me, I use two-part names where the first part is the planet/moon name while the second part is Spacedock for low orbit (ie. a staging ground for multi-module ships and research labs) and Gateway Station for high orbit (ie. a fuel depot to serve as the launch point of interplanetary flights).

I usually name my bases and stations starting with their function and location, so I can more easily identify them in the Tracking Station and in KER's "switch to target" functionality. I'll add the names of astronauts, explorers, or places from the real world or fiction.

For example, "Munbase Armstrong" is a better name than "Armstrong Base".

4 minutes ago, SlinkyMcman said:

Whenever a Kerbal dies the next station/base in that SOI gets named after them.

Close to what I do - I don't necessarily keep to the same SoI, but my stations get names like " Chadney Kermin Memorial Station "     I am taking some pride in the fact that my current career has an generic named station being built around Minmus because I don't have any more dead kerbonauts to name it after.

I usually use functional names for the random, numerous satellites I send up for scanning or communication. If something has more significance, like a long term habitable station for a colony, I might come up with something special. I put a station around Minmus called "Home 1" to act as a gateway for the colony I build there in my 1.7 save.

I also sometimes use program name-number schemes for things like Mun missions, since it's really easy to keep track of things if I call them Kerpollo 1, 2, and so on.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.