[1.12.4] SimpleLogistics! (SLOG) v2.0.6.0 - `<Supply & Demand>` [29 Dec 2022]

zer0Kerbal

I just installed this mod yesterday and it seems to be working great at a mining site I have on Mun with a couple disconnected vessels.  As is, it's great for sharing resources among several vessels, but it's a little awkward when you want to do a combination of empty and fill for different resources.

On 1/29/2020 at 2:46 AM, zer0Kerbal said:
  • vessel priorities (from -20 to 20; higher number > the priority)
    • this would allow for nearly automated refueling/mining operations - just set the warehouse to -10; the mining/refining to -15 and since default priority would be 0, it would automatically flow uphill - autorefuel. This would add some complexity, but would greatly improve logistics.

I'd up vote this feature, but I think it needs to be by resource for each vessel.  In my case I land an probe controlled ore tanker to bring down USI supplies/rocket parts for the ground crew and take back up different ores to an orbiting station. I've messed around with requesting resources to load ore, but getting stuff off the vessel is trickier since I can't have it as part of the network or it balances the ore back out. For now I find it simpler to just run a Kerbal out with a KAS hose so I can control the flow both ways in one gui.

Now for a small poorly defined bug report: I don't know if you've seen it before, but at one point ore disappeared from the resources I could request in the menu when I'm not part of the network, but it would show correctly connected to the network. It didn't seem to matter which vessel in the network.  I'd disconnect one that had ore storage and ore would not be something I could request.  I shifted focus to a vessel out of physics range and came back and it was all okay again.  Sorry, but I didn't think to grab the log at that point.  I had been several hours into a session by the time I ran into this. Just something to be on the lookout.

3 hours ago, Tonka Crash said:

I just installed this mod yesterday and it seems to be working great at a mining site I have on Mun with a couple disconnected vessels.  As is, it's great for sharing resources among several vessels, but it's a little awkward when you want to do a combination of empty and fill for different resources.

I'd up vote this feature, but I think it needs to be by resource for each vessel.  In my case I land an probe controlled ore tanker to bring down USI supplies/rocket parts for the ground crew and take back up different ores to an orbiting station. I've messed around with requesting resources to load ore, but getting stuff off the vessel is trickier since I can't have it as part of the network or it balances the ore back out. For now I find it simpler to just run a Kerbal out with a KAS hose so I can control the flow both ways in one gui.

Now for a small poorly defined bug report: I don't know if you've seen it before, but at one point ore disappeared from the resources I could request in the menu when I'm not part of the network, but it would show correctly connected to the network. It didn't seem to matter which vessel in the network.  I'd disconnect one that had ore storage and ore would not be something I could request.  I shifted focus to a vessel out of physics range and came back and it was all okay again.  Sorry, but I didn't think to grab the log at that point.  I had been several hours into a session by the time I ran into this. Just something to be on the lookout.

Have one little pesky issue with the GUI before I can release 2.0.4.0 - and hopefully that fixes the resource hidden issue.

It is a great mod - and its simplicity is it's elegance.

I really do want to add in priorities - and would be nice if it was on a per resource per vessel basis. I don't think I would start with the level of granularity of say -20 to 0 to 20 - but rather push - neutral - pull, and maybe a reserve amount.

I won't start working (actively coding) on the next set of features until I get a full round of updates on my other code based mods (add-ons). The biggest hurdle I have is that I am not at all familiar with GUI programming - so am having to learn on-the-fly by-my-bootstraps from-the-ground-up KSP GUI. Concepts are easy - its the subtle nuances and hidden nuisance that slow me down.

On the other issue you talk about - the ore backwash - have you tried locking the ore tanks? I haven't but the code respects (IIRC) resource flow.

THIS IS PRE-RELEASE
DO.NOT.USE.ON.LIVE.SAVES
you have been warned. :o:o:o:o:o:o:o

@zer0Kerbal zer0Kerbal pre-released this2020 04 05

Mod Version
KSP version:static KSP-AVC License GPLv3 68747470733a2f2f692e706f7374696d672e6363
Code Validate AVC .version files

for pre-release notes and changelog - follow link.

NEW GUI
NEW SETTINGS
NEW PAW
Should be faster, leaner and better.
NOT Everything in game settings is working. See pre-release notes.

Thank you to @linuxgurugamer for the assistance and spring.cleaning!

Feedback is highly requested.

Thank you in advance!

Did a quick glance at 2.0.4.0 in my KSP 1.9.1 game. A few trivial observations.

1. Not sure what's different in my setup, but the top two lines in the regular window (current vessel and vessel status) are all but unreadable because of the color. It's dark-colored text (black or dark blue, depending on which skin I select in settings) usually on a dark background. The font being small all around doesn't help either, though that's not new. The teaser samples above show nicely visible white or light green text (and larger, but that's probably because I bet they are with lower screen resolution than I have).

2. Oh, speaking of not new, I randomly find the toolbar icon (in the stock toolbar - I don't use Blitzy) missing. Jumping to some other scene and then back tends to bring it back. It seemingl;y being random, I can't easily reproduce it in a quick session just to provide a simple debug log. Usually I'm in the middle of something that I'd prefer not to interrupt to go save a log, and the jump elsewhere and back thing does work around it. I've had that before; just noticed it once also with 2.0.4.0.

3. I'm not seeing the request resources button when plugged in like the teaser samples show. I assume that's just not yet in the beta I tried.

For now, I think I'll jump back to 2.0.3.2 lest the ptre-release break something in my game (though I didn't observe it doing so).

+1 :rep: thank you for the excellent feedback

5 hours ago, rmaine said:

top two lines in the regular window (current vessel and vessel status) are all but unreadable because of the color.

Will change to a yellow.

I randomly find the toolbar icon (in the stock toolbar - I don't use Blitzy) missing

that sounds possibily like missing: ToolbarController or ClickThroughBlocker. Otherwise, am flummoxed; will keep an eye out.

request resources button when plugged in

only shows when not plugged in (currently).

[Done][BUG 2.0.4.0a] Request resources will not show when plugged in. This is actually showing the 'unplugged' status.Is fixed now.

I think I'll jump back to 2.0.3.2 lest the ptre-release break something in my game (though I didn't observe it doing so).

thanks for testing! hopefully I am right about the missing button. :D

2 minutes ago, Ericwi said:

Hate to ask but I have a Long term Save i don't want broken. Has anyone tried this in 1.9.1? 

See 2 posts above yours. Not that my brief test guarantees much. Now I've been using 2.0.3.2 with 1.9.1 for longer enough to be more confident. All the money I was paid for this testing back if it breaks your game. :-)

4 hours ago, Ericwi said:

Hate to ask but I have a Long term Save i don't want broken. Has anyone tried this in 1.9.1? 

welcome back.

4 hours ago, rmaine said:

See 2 posts above yours. Not that my brief test guarantees much. Now I've been using 2.0.3.2 with 1.9.1 for longer enough to be more confident. All the money I was paid for this testing back if it breaks your game. :-)

that is basically what I expected - since nothing that changed in KSP from 1.8.1 to 1.9.1 *should* have affected SL! with that said /YMMV/.

another week and I will release from beta quarantine!  :o

• 1 month later...

@zer0Kerbal Just wanted to say I'm loving this mod.  Good work keeping it going.  Here I've got an Engineer servicing my Ore hauler with my Mun mine in the background. he lander brings down USI supplies for the miners and takes back up Ore or MetalOre. I have small containers for each resource produced by the mine attached to the pad. I use KAS to transfer resources from the pad to the lander and Simple Logistics keep the pad's containers topped up as I transfer them to the transport. I found working through KAS for the final step allowed finer control.  TI'm still using the release available through CKAN.

WsOrg6g.jpg

• 1 month later...

Narrowed the issue down to a single PART/MODULE - PART[DeployedSolarPanel], MODULE[ModuleDeployableSolarPanel].

Instead of renaming the CFGs, I created a new CFG in GameData/__LOCAL.  From what I understand, the __LOCAL folder is where MM expects user-created patches and executes them last.  I don't want to mess with the files in the mod folder because I just manually install mods (I always delete the old mod folder and drop-in the up-to-date one).

However, even though I placed the patch in __LOCAL, and it's supposed to run last, because DeployableScience.cfg adds the ModuleDeployableSolarPanel a 2nd time using the LAST directive, I had to use the FINAL directive in my local fix.

I know how the mod authors are against using FINAL.  Let me emphasize that this is a user-created patch in __LOCAL.  I called the patch 110SimpleLogistics.cfg.  Patch follows...

Spoiler

@PART[DeployedSolarPanel]:FINAL
{
    !MODULE[ModuleDeployableSolarPanel] { }
}

I don't use the affected part so I don't know how the patch affects it.  I just want to get past firing up 1.10.  I'll play around in the weekend to see if my saved games still work.

@bcqJC I've never seen a reference to __LOCAL as a "special" place for user patches.  The Module Manager wiki has the following information

Patches are applied in the following order:

1. Nodes with no operator ('insert') are loaded by the KSP GameDatabase first.
  2. Patches for modname values in NEEDS, BEFORE, AFTER, LAST that don't exist are removed.
  3. All patches with :FIRST are applied.
  4. All patches without an ordering directive (:FIRST, :BEFORE, :FOR, :AFTER, :LAST, :FINAL) are applied.
  5. For each item in the Unicode-sorted list of modname values:
    • All patches with :BEFORE are applied
    • All patches with :FOR are applied
    • All patches with :AFTER are applied
  6. All patches with :LAST are applied
  7. All patches with :FINAL are applied

Within each pass the patches are applied in alphabetic order of the directories in GameData. On Windows __LOCAL sorts to be first on my computer.  I use ZZZ_PERSONALPATCHES for my local patches so it's alphabetically last.  Using :FINAL is fine for patches you write yourself since you are the only one they will affect.  In this case :AFTER[SimpleLogistics] should have the same affect without causing anyone to blow a gasket about seeing :FINAL in a fix being discussed.

I first encounted the use of __LOCAL from the Tweakscale forums. 

Yes, I'm aware of the MM documentation. However, over the course of chasing issues in my install across several releases, I noticed the pattern in the logs (KSP and Player) that the patches in __LOCAL are applied last.  MM does several passes to apply CFGs. For each pass, stuff in __LOCAL are always executed last.  They are logged that way for me so I just assumed that it's the same for everyone.

Try it next time you try to patch something and look at the logs.

8 hours ago, bcqJC said:

Yep, that stunt is my fault. :)

8 hours ago, bcqJC said:

Yes, I'm aware of the MM documentation. However, over the course of chasing issues in my install across several releases, I noticed the pattern in the logs (KSP and Player) that the patches in __LOCAL are applied last.  MM does several passes to apply CFGs. For each pass, stuff in __LOCAL are always executed last.  They are logged that way for me so I just assumed that it's the same for everyone.

Exactly. And this was precisely the reason I came to that stunt. TweakScale is still one of that not so nice Add'Ons using :FINAL on some things (because I can't take out, yet, TweakScale from the LEGACY phase as it would break some very used add'ons, and I didn't had the time to apply pull requests for everybody!), but yet I still need a standard place for users put their hotfixes and overrules to keep their games going while rogue patches are not fixed on the mainstream.

Since some Add'Ons (including TweakScale, but this will change soon! promise!) are using :FINAL, by shoving the user's patches on __LOCAL would put their :FINAL patches after any other :FINAL patch.

However....

9 hours ago, Tonka Crash said:

On Windows __LOCAL sorts to be first on my computer.  I use ZZZ_PERSONALPATCHES for my local patches so it's alphabetically last.  Using :FINAL is fine for patches you write yourself since you are the only one they will affect.

And this is where my stunt failed. Internally, I think Unity changes "_" to "." on ordering as it does on part names., and so suddenly __LOCAL would be ordered as ..LOCAL , and my stunt didn't fully worked as intended.

However, and aware that some Add'Ons are publishing directories starting with "zzz", I decided to keep using "__LOCAL" as it is easier to be located by the users: it would be always on the last or on the first position on the Explorer/Finder/MidnightCommander file list.

10 hours ago, bcqJC said:

Narrowed the issue down to a single PART/MODULE - PART[DeployedSolarPanel], MODULE[ModuleDeployableSolarPanel].

Instead of renaming the CFGs, I created a new CFG in GameData/__LOCAL.  From what I understand, the __LOCAL folder is where MM expects user-created patches and executes them last. 

MM is innocent on this one. MM fetches the patches from the GameDatabase, after KSP had loaded all of them into memory, when MM scans the GameDatabase looking for the patches to be applied.

All your patches from __LOCAL ends up being applied first because all my patches I publish to be shoved there uses :FINAL, and fortunately fewer and fewer Add'Ons are still using :FINAL on their patches.

I was pointed in the direction of this Mod to stop me having physics engine glitches and KAS blow up the entirety of Minmus when I attempt to build a large scale fuel refinery there.

It seems to be sharing produced resources well enough... but the individual craft containing ISRU units and drills that aren't connected to the craft with a level 3 engineer aren't getting the engineer's productivity bonus, and that kind of renders the whole thing pointless.

Am I doing something wrong, or does SimpleLogistics not support this?

On 7/4/2020 at 2:52 AM, bcqJC said:

Game won't load
...DeployableSolarPanel...

I can confirm that KSP 1.10 does not like something about using SimpleLogistics and the breaking ground part 'deployableSolarPanel'; My game stops loading at that part. I have no opportunity to contribute to a fix, but I am happy to see the issue is known.

5 minutes ago, The-Grim-Sleeper said:

I can confirm that KSP 1.10 does not like something about using SimpleLogistics and the breaking ground part 'deployableSolarPanel'; My game stops loading at that part. I have no opportunity to contribute to a fix, but I am happy to see the issue is known.

For now just rename the patches to end .txt so they don't load and you should be able to get past this problem.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

@zer0Kerbal I've found a bug when trying to use this mod in KSP 1.10.1, the patches for Breaking Ground deployable science and the mod Deployable Batteries are causing the game to crash when loading the deployable solar panel; when I removed the patch for BG deployable science parts the game then froze at the deployable RTG due to the Deployable Batteries patch which also affects the BG solar panel and RTG; removing both patches resolves the issue and the game loads as normal. I didn't manage to check if the deployed science parts were working correctly due to an unrelated problem loading the save.

I've encountered this twice when trying to upgrade 1.9.1 saves to 1.10.1, documented here: 

I probably shouldn't be trying to use this mod in 1.10.x, but it's really useful.

2 hours ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

@zer0Kerbal I've found a bug when trying to use this mod in KSP 1.10.1, the patches for Breaking Ground deployable science and the mod Deployable Batteries are causing the game to crash when loading the deployable solar panel; when I removed the patch for BG deployable science parts the game then froze at the deployable RTG due to the Deployable Batteries patch which also affects the BG solar panel and RTG; removing both patches resolves the issue and the game loads as normal. I didn't manage to check if the deployed science parts were working correctly due to an unrelated problem loading the save.

I've encountered this twice when trying to upgrade 1.9.1 saves to 1.10.1, documented here: 

I probably shouldn't be trying to use this mod in 1.10.x, but it's really useful.

I found the problem for you ( @zer0Kerbal hasn't been around for a while).

Download this file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cc5ipbgf4gf35i9/DeployableScience.zip?dl=0

and replace the file  SimpleLogistics/Patches/DeployableScience.cfg with the file in the zip

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.