I am actually worried

On 1/31/2020 at 6:27 AM, Master39 said:

The only thing that we'll probably loose are the robotic parts,

What! Why? They better not skimp on robotics... 

Edited by Guest

On 2/2/2020 at 4:48 AM, DStaal said:

Robotics was something Squad developed after Star Theory started working on KSP2, so it wasn't something on their radar.

How do you know what’s on their radar?, robotics was a mod long before it was DLC

15 hours ago, Dale Christopher said:

How do you know what’s on their radar?, robotics was a mod long before it was DLC

Because from the previews we know they started by essentially reverse-engineering assets and systems from KSP1, and then implementing the new unity version, physics LOD and rebuilding the binary from scratch.

So it's a fairly safe assumption that anything that didn't exist when they started development isn't present. 

14 minutes ago, SlinkyMcman said:

I thought the time frame was a bit ambitious.

It’s software development. Time frames are pretty much meaningless.

Mention a deadline, deliver on time and customers will (rightfully so) complain about having a rushed and unfinished product. Mention a deadline but focus on getting it right, and customers will (rightfully so) complain about having to wait.

Blog your progress and provide updates? “I wish they would focus on finishing the game instead” Focus on the game? Where we are right now.

For every scenario there will be complaints; there’s just too many people.

5 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

It’s software development. Time frames are pretty much meaningless.

Mention a deadline, deliver on time and customers will (rightfully so) complain about having a rushed and unfinished product. Mention a deadline but focus on getting it right, and customers will (rightfully so) complain about having to wait.

Blog your progress and provide updates? “I wish they would focus on finishing the game instead” Focus on the game? Where we are right now.

For every scenario there will be complaints; there’s just too many people.

Some other unnamed game company broke its past philosophy of only releasing a product when it was polished, disaster and chaos happened. I hope the plan is to release when it's ready.

On 2/5/2020 at 9:35 AM, Incarnation of Chaos said:

So it's a fairly safe assumption that anything that didn't exist when they started development isn't present. 

I hope your assumptions are wrong since only having the same stuff as the first game would make for a crap squeal.

I don't know enough about Private Division to say whether this is atypical or not, and I know they have other games to promote, but it looks like they've booked a rather large booth in the expo hall for PAX East at the end of the month, about half the size of Nintendo's area.

So they'll probably have quite a bit going on and maybe we'll hear about KSP 2 then.

Let me preface everything I say by saying: I am not worried about KSP2. If it doesn't live up to expectations then I will be sad, but life will go on (and I'll continue playing KSP1).

However, I have a theory as to why there has been a lack of engagement, and that theory is: re-writing a physics engine is proving significantly harder that ST expected. What do I mean by that? I believe that the early payable demos we saw were effectively re-skinned KSP1, with work on assets proceeding on target, hence the new launch pad etc. However, it is no secret that the Squad physics implementation is a patchwork of sticking plasters, exacerbated by internal issues and staff turnover over time. Case in point: wheel physics has been reworked several times, but had to be dumped when they were found to be so easy to exploit (see some of Danny's videos on this, in which they were dropped at the last minute from 1.2?3? after he was routinely destroying the universe using them). In short, it works but behind the scenes it is a mess, and since then the robotics add on and self interaction have likely made the mess worse.

My hypothesis is that ST put in Squad's physics code with the view that they could "streamline" it for V2. However, I think that they are finding so many problems with that approach that they will have had to decide whether or not to re-write everything from a much lower baseline (effectively from scratch). They will have looked at the pros and cons: a better, faster, more capable engine which can allow more interesting mechanics, including multiplayer, to be used to more interesting effect, but with huge developmental cost, or basically maintaining the existing code and hoping that they can finagle the new features they want, plus risk community backlash if KSP2 is just seen as an expensive re-skin.

Given recent issues with Bethesda, ActiBlizz etc. I really hope they make the right decision.

6 hours ago, dnbattley said:

My hypothesis is that ST put in Squad's physics code with the view that they could "streamline" it for V2. However, I think that they are finding so many problems with that approach that they will have had to decide whether or not to re-write everything from a much lower baseline (effectively from scratch). They will have looked at the pros and cons: a better, faster, more capable engine which can allow more interesting mechanics, including multiplayer, to be used to more interesting effect, but with huge developmental cost, or basically maintaining the existing code and hoping that they can finagle the new features they want, plus risk community backlash if KSP2 is just seen as an expensive re-skin.

They talked about re'writing the code as a past thing, and they talked about it before the delays, when they were saying "more info in the next months".

To me the reality behind it is way simpler, they were contracted by Private Division to release the game in FY 2020 and they were rushing towards that deadline but Outer Worlds performed better than expected so they decided to let it slide into FY 2021 and give Star.Theory more time.

Putting their hands in Squad legacy code was not worth it, more problems and workarounds to solve and develop to make it work with the new features that it takes to rewrite everything, especially since S.T is another studio that has no knowledge about KSP1 spaghetti code in the first place.

7 hours ago, Opus_723 said:

I don't know enough about Private Division to say whether this is atypical or not, and I know they have other games to promote, but it looks like they've booked a rather large booth in the expo hall for PAX East at the end of the month, about half the size of Nintendo's area.

I don't know either but it's intresting, it's not that they have tons of new games to show.

I didn't hear anyone complaining or worrying about what was happening in the 2 years prior that they worked on the game and it hadn't been announced.

Oh yeah, because you didn't know about it.

And if they hadn't announced it, you still wouldn't know about it.

Delays in games happen. It's part of the process to ANY creative work.

Just be glad they delayed it and aren't rushing it out the door. I'd be FAR more worried by that.

3 hours ago, Stevie_D said:

I didn't hear anyone complaining or worrying about what was happening in the 2 years prior that they worked on the game and it hadn't been announced.

Oh yeah, because you didn't know about it.

And if they hadn't announced it, you still wouldn't know about it.

Delays in games happen. It's part of the process to ANY creative work.

Just be glad they delayed it and aren't rushing it out the door. I'd be FAR more worried by that.

The reason for the complaining and worry is because Star Theory went out and told everyone they would be keeping in contact/updating the community and didn't. They weren't pressed to say so but nate simpson literally told us in the shadow zone interview 

"just watch what comes out over the next few months, you will know how our progress is going"

To which the only thing they've said since was how they made the trailer... Also, it is even unclear as to if the game itself has even been delayed, we were told it was coming out in spring and a reviewer reported that the game was launching is FS 2021 which still overlaps with all of spring minus 10 days. I believe it's only natural for a game so anticipated and being kept in the dark to generate anxiety among the fan base, especially this close to its original release date. Hopefully we will hear something at PAX East, Also, apparently theres a community manager position now open so perhaps they're about to start up their outreach again.

Maybe I'm worrying too much about this, but the worrying about Star.Theory's awkward silence just started to leak from this for forum section, Shadowzone's (one of the pros invited to the studio) video on 1.9 has "Where is KSP2?" in the title.