DunaManiac

Should there be DLCs in KSP2  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Should There be a DLC in KSP2?

• Absolutely Not.
    • Yes, but later on.
    • Yes, as soon as it releases.

On 1/18/2020 at 12:19 PM, Master39 said:

Making a generic argument about "most DLCs nowdays" makes no sense, the point is: do you think Making History or Breaking Ground falls in the two categories you described?

Making History definitely falls under category 2 IMO. Breaking grounds is  much much better though...

11 hours ago, Xd the great said:

I'm poor.

Of course, they should set up a donation page as well, so people can fund their development.

So... since you can't get the DLC you prefer that no one else does, in addition to less funding available to update/maintain the game?

On 1/18/2020 at 12:19 PM, Master39 said:

Making a generic argument about "most DLCs nowdays" makes no sense, the point is: do you think Making History or Breaking Ground falls in the two categories you described?

Making History definitely falls under category 2 IMO. Breaking grounds is  much much better though...

Edited by tseitsei89

26 minutes ago, razark said:

Indeed we are.  And?

How in Kraken's name has the shown footage been 'lacking'? They're adding Orion drives, Epstein drives, interstellar travel, stock planetshine, multiplayer, volumetric plumes, improved physics, a total rework of gravity and timewarp... but you say that KSP2 is lacking so far. You're thinking of the wrong KSP2, bud.

13 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

How in Kraken's name has the shown footage been 'lacking'?

I haven't been able to play it, have you?

14 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

They're adding Orion drives, Epstein drives, interstellar travel, stock planetshine, multiplayer, volumetric plumes, improved physics, a total rework of gravity and timewarp...

Yes, they're "adding" them at some point, but I can't install them in my game yet.  Therefore they are lacking.

15 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

You're thinking of the wrong KSP2, bud.

I'm only aware of one KSP2.  Did you find a different download besides the officially released one?

And for anyone else that's completely unable to read the damn sarcasm:
KSP2 has not even been released yet.  We have no idea exactly what is going to be in or be missing from the game.  No one here can say they have played it, no one can say they know what the game is going to be like when it is finally released.  We haven't heard anything about it in several months.  It's way too early to start talking about DLCs.

47 minutes ago, razark said:

I haven't been able to play it, have you?

Yes, they're "adding" them at some point, but I can't install them in my game yet.  Therefore they are lacking.

I'm only aware of one KSP2.  Did you find a different download besides the officially released one?

And for anyone else that's completely unable to read the damn sarcasm:
KSP2 has not even been released yet.  We have no idea exactly what is going to be in or be missing from the game.  No one here can say they have played it, no one can say they know what the game is going to be like when it is finally released.  We haven't heard anything about it in several months.  It's way too early to start talking about DLCs.

So you can't interact with it, therefore it's lacking. You know, I'm just going to leave this here before I start losing brain cells.

Going forward, yes I think DLCs for KSP2 will be a 'thing', just as they are now for KSP1.

I see them as 'expansions' that add desirable, yet not essential, extra features.  Additional solar systems are obvious candidates for that, just like map packs for many other games.  

On 1/18/2020 at 7:02 AM, tseitsei89 said:

It most certainly is the DLC culture nowadays. Unfortunately most DLCs fall in to one of the following categories:

1. Developers leave out an important game mechanic/feature that should already be in the base game so they can sell it to customers as DLC and get more money.

2. DLC just adds some new equipment/parts/skills that really dont bring anything new to the game but are just slightly better versions of the original ones. So you have to buy the DLC if you want the best equipment/parts/skills but the DLC doesnt actually give you any new meaningful content.

"DLC" is just a new term for expansion pack - and I bought my first one of those in 2001... so it really isn't "nowadays". Especially considering that expansion pack was arguably much less work that any non-skin-only DLC that comes out these days.

6 hours ago, Xd the great said:

This is why I would like a direct funding/donation offer to the devs.

I can almost assure you the income from donations would be barely enough for a burrito or two on a yearly basis; the overhead for setting it up isn't massive though so i won't say they shouldn't do it. But it's no replacement for DLC's; not even a contest in terms of income.

2 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

Some people here dont seem to understand whats going on...

You get:

A) Paid DLC

B)Micro transactions

C)The studio runs out of spending money from lack of revenue and stops updating the game

Pick one

And mind you A && B aren't mutually exclusive if C is approaching and the publisher decides to extract as much profit as possible from the withering husk.....

13 hours ago, Xd the great said:

This is why I would like a direct funding/donation offer to the devs.

Have you seen the number of posts asking if KSP2 would be free for early KSP adapters, just like the DLC they got for free. These are people that paid $15 for a game five years ago, and got hundreds if not thousands of hours of playtime out if. What makes you think they’d donate money? “Give money to Take2? As if they don’t have enough?

When it comes to continuous development for KSP we have four models:

• It won’t happen. We can all agree that this is not desirable.
  • Subscription. We can all agree that this is not desirable, either.
  • Yearly updates that will cost full price, like FIFA. “KSP 2020” and so on.
  • DLC

In a perfect world some space obsessed multi-millionaire will pick up the tab, but until then DLC seems to me the most reasonable option to keep KSP programmers housed, fed, and motivated to continue to improve the game for us.

The current business model for KSP seems to work, and will likely continue in KSP2. That means that money earned through DLC is used to update the base game as well. And DLC does go on sale once in a while.

On 1/19/2020 at 7:15 AM, Rejected Spawn said:

Oh my, what a blast from the past, donations. They sound good enough in theory but in reality generate almost no money for anyone ever, barring some extreme cases -

*Cough*StarCitizen*cough*

To add to the point made about the change in the nature of software development cycles; Game development is increasingly becoming more and more expensive. You now have teams of dozens or hundreds of people who are expecting professional pay-grades, marketing can run up to 40%+ of your budget, graphics are becoming more detailed and time consuming, etc. All the while AAA games have been stuck at $60 for around ten years and no one wants to be the first to step over the line.

Cyberpunk 2077 will probably be $60. Should it cost more like $100? Probably, but they can't charge that. And so there will be DLC.

I think it would be a great acknowledgement of the good will in the community if they said DLC will only a limited time or number active sale.

Sure always have upsell options in DLC packs online but avoid situations like CIties:Skylines where the game runs to for long enough with so many DLC that full game runs 100's of dollars and base game is a mere shadow of what everyone talks about in the video's. Roll them into stock after a while. Let the community feel like there are sponsoring an on going product. 

Also avoid dumb DLC I mean seriously who pays for additional music packs in games.

Yes, but they should really be worth their price. Not just a parts pack, but new gameplay. Something greater than what mods can offer.

Since base building is going to be an important thing in KSP2, I’d expect a full-scale planetary colonization expansion, for example. It should have a fair amount of new mechanics like terraforming, new colony management and logistics tools, new goals and rewards. But if it’s just a parts pack with differently colored base parts, then I’ll pass.

3 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

Yes, but they should really be worth their price. Not just a parts pack, but new gameplay. Something greater than what mods can offer.

Since base building is going to be an important thing in KSP2, I’d expect a full-scale planetary colonization expansion, for example. It should have a fair amount of new mechanics like terraforming, new colony management and logistics tools, new goals and rewards. But if it’s just a parts pack with differently colored base parts, then I’ll pass.

I understood different colourways has been built in to core game as part of multiplayer enabling work.

I see no reason a DLC couldn't start as a mod then work with the modder to really test/expand the idea and make it robust for future development. That would be a way of supporting game development and community at same time.

DLCs are something I have hated now, if I went out on steam to find a good mmorpg I have to pay the gam cost (which are like 50-60 bucks these days) AND get the expansion, now with ksp im a bit more ok since ksp is not a huge money maker anymore, but for ksp 2 ehhh its gonna be 60 bucks but I hope they release the game for a year and a half and then start thinking of DLCs, and the DLCs should be the same price as KSP1, not all of us can blow 30 bucks every couple months.

Also I think that the expansion should not hold out things that are a no brainer for space exploration, I mean im kinds ok with them adding robotics in a expansion since there was already a mod for that but yea they should not put a planet behind a expansion or stuff like that

Edited by Dr. Omicron
I like you, can we share craft files???

On 1/22/2020 at 1:09 AM, sh1pman said:

Value for money is key.

It's a subjective thing though I think satisfying like 75 percent of people is a reasonable success criteria. 

Parts seem so essential to the game experience in Ksp, that I'm loathe to see those sold piecemeal. The term pay to win comes to mind. 

A full set of historical parts for those historically interested would be ok imho. 

I'm OK with them selling eg. skins to those interested in such for a fair price (let's say around 1 dollar).