KSP Loading... Preview: Drain Valve

St4rdust

8 hours ago, Wirbel said:

Hello! Incredibly useful thing, but what about drain monopropeliant? The mandatory, i think, to built space shuttle replica?

Looking at the UI, it can probably drain any resources you have on your vessel. It's just that the ship in the video only had LFO.

On 1/17/2020 at 2:12 PM, MechBFP said:

Neat. I honestly can’t think of a particular use case for this though, other than perhaps submarine type applications.

For normal rockets you can dump excess ore already, and if you have too much fuel, wouldn’t it be easier to just burn the engines until you burn away the fuel?

You can't just burn oxidizer, you'd also have to expend LF in that process.  I've got a few spaceplanes with ISRU refueling capabilities and nuke engines...  Once I get into orbit, I don't really need the unspent oxidizer.  In at least one craft I know I gain 200 dV if I can completely empty the ox tanks before departure.  Granted, can't do that for all destinations.

I guess my concern is whether or not you have the option of draining ONLY oxidizer from a tank that also contains LF?

Edit: after watching the sample video, it does appear to have the ability to select and vent only oxidizer from a rocket fuel tank.  So this does indeed seem suitable for my scenario.

Edited by XLjedi

16 hours ago, Xurkitree said:

O hope it can selectively drain Oxidiser and Liquid Fuel, so that excess Ox can be dumped aborad.

After watching the sample video, it does indeed have selector on/off buttons that appear to allow venting of oxidizer alone.  In the sample video, you can see they are draining LF and Ox... but you can also see they have the option buttons to drain each set to ON.

• 2 weeks later...

I usually build in atmospheric jets, and sometimes I need to turn back and land do to a design flaw, so not landing on a full tank would be good. Additionally, i'd hate to have to leave right away for a slight center of mass issue that cannot be fixed by internal moving of the fuel. Thanks Squad. 

Edited by Geonovast
Fixed formatting

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.