KSP Loading... Preview: Drain Valve

St4rdust

19 hours ago, MechBFP said:

I honestly can’t think of a particular use case for this though, other than perhaps submarine type applications.

I've longed for this feature many a times for my spaceplanes. I rarely find myself with the perfect oxidizer/liquid fuel balance once in rocket mode. Being able to dump the excess would increase the available Delta-V. Dumping the remaining propellants can make reentry easier as well.

40 minutes ago, neistridlar said:

I've longed for this feature many a times for my spaceplanes. I rarely find myself with the perfect oxidizer/liquid fuel balance once in rocket mode.

Ah yes, I too have been in this situation. That is indeed a good use case. 

On 1/17/2020 at 8:12 PM, MechBFP said:

Neat. I honestly can’t think of a particular use case for this though, other than perhaps submarine type applications.

For normal rockets you can dump excess ore already, and if you have too much fuel, wouldn’t it be easier to just burn the engines until you burn away the fuel?

Think of this: Your SSTO has a LOX launch drive, but switches to Nukes when in/close to orbit. Pushing that left over oxygen around costs additional fuel. I would like to get rid of it.

Or: You have a refueling station, which has to provide both, LF and Ox. Sometimes your miner/converter has too much of one of the fuels. Makes sense to just dump it.

By the way: No render? Is it not animated? It would be so nice to have two valves/nozzles per tank (on each side) or even on a command capsule.

Edit: I actually did miss the video. Why on earth do you upload to facebook??

Edited by dr.phees
Addition of an exclamation.

On 1/17/2020 at 7:12 PM, MechBFP said:

Neat. I honestly can’t think of a particular use case for this though, other than perhaps submarine type applications.

For normal rockets you can dump excess ore already, and if you have too much fuel, wouldn’t it be easier to just burn the engines until you burn away the fuel?

Yes, except if you want to eliminate fuel reserves without affecting DV - that said, purging fuel without combustion STILL creates DV, but without the high energy release, just more like the old "throwing bricks off a snow sled", but it's still physics.

But if there is no DV impact implemented, then one can always plug a dump valve on opposite sides of the tank in question - just to assure a more reality based model.

Edited by Wallygator

3 hours ago, T-Bouw said:

The only downside is, this is one of those parts that, when you need it in an emergency, you forgot to bring along...:confused:

1 hour ago, AHHans said:

So, like parachutes?:cool:

...and antennas, ladders, RCS, landing gear, spare docking ports, a scientist to reset that Goo canister...

Awesome. This is a feature I will definitely use: abort sequences for SSTOs (dump fuel before landing), and fine-tuning fuel loads for deep-space missions that have a mix of Lf and Lf+Ox engines (dump extra Ox). 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.