TLA_DEBUG_STACK_LEAK

1 hour ago, Commodore_32 said:

Surprisingly, I installed some heavy mods (RSS, RO, etc) and in the VAB got no TLAs (?)

Wild guess, but with some heavy textures loaded, the GPU ends up delivering less frames per second - mainly on our case, where the "VRAM" is shared from the CPU main RAM. So the CPU would have more time to act, avoiding triggering the TLA.

About the OneDrive links, they are working now (all of them). I'm downloading them and I will give them a look.

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, O.2. said:

Hello. I am having the same issue but on stock ksp, I can never get passed the title screen. I would appreciate any help I can get. Thank In advance.

Play a bit with these settings:

E5qexmG.png

Setting V-Sync also can help. Use each second V-Sync if Every V-Sync didn't helps.

(V-Sync and FPS are mutually exclusive - if you set V-Sync, the FPS is ignored)

5 hours ago, Lisias said:

Play a bit with these settings:

Setting V-Sync also can help. Use each second V-Sync if Every V-Sync didn't helps.

(V-Sync and FPS are mutually exclusive - if you set V-Sync, the FPS is ignored)

I attempted to fix this all morning with no successes. I have been trying to figure out the issue with the people in the r/kerbalspaceprogram discord server. I even did a fresh install. Nothing has changed except for the fact that I can no longer get to the title screen.

8 minutes ago, O.2. said:

I attempted to fix this all morning with no successes

So you probably got bitten by an Unity 2019 bug. There's no forum rules compliant fix for it - we would need to deactivate the particles thingy on the whole game, and this is not possible without reverse engineering.

It only affects D3D 11 capable GPUs, as it appears, as these GPUs has support for the thingy Unity broke. Reverting to D3D9 or OpenGL doesn't helps, as the problem is on Unity itself.

The latest 2019 release has this fixed, if Squad manage to update engine, I think this will be finally fixed.

• 1 month later...

If by any chance I'm right about this, unless Squad had deactivated the sparks on the VAB/SPH, KSP 1.11.0 is still prone to this problem, as it still uses the bugged Unity version!

Mono path[0] = '/.users/lisias/Workspaces/KSP/runtime/1.10.1/KSP.app/Contents/Resources/Data/Managed'
Mono config path = '/.users/lisias/Workspaces/KSP/runtime/1.10.1/KSP.app/Contents/Frameworks/MonoBleedingEdge/etc'
Initialize engine version: 2019.2.2f1 (ab112815d860)
[XR] Discovering subsystems at path /.users/lisias/Workspaces/KSP/runtime/1.10.1/KSP.app/Contents/Resources/Data/UnitySubsystems
GfxDevice: creating device client; threaded=1
Renderer: Intel HD Graphics 4000 OpenGL Engine
Vendor:   Intel Inc.
Version:  4.1 INTEL-12.10.22
GLES:     0
 GL_ARB_blend_func_extended GL_ARB_draw_buffers_blend GL_ARB_draw_indirect GL_ARB_ES2_compatibility GL_ARB_explicit_attrib_location GL_ARB_gpu_shader_fp64 GL_ARB_gpu_shader5 GL_ARB_instanced_arr
ays GL_ARB_internalformat_query GL_ARB_occlusion_query2 GL_ARB_sample_shading GL_ARB_sampler_objects GL_ARB_separate_shader_objects GL_ARB_shader_bit_encoding GL_ARB_shader_subroutine GL_ARB_sha
ding_language_include GL_ARB_tessellation_shader GL_ARB_texture_buffer_object_rgb32 GL_ARB_texture_cube_map_array GL_ARB_texture_gather GL_ARB_texture_query_lod GL_ARB_texture_rgb10_a2ui GL_ARB_
texture_storage GL_ARB_texture_swizzle GL_ARB_timer_query GL_ARB_transform_feedback2 GL_ARB_transform_feedback3 GL_ARB_vertex_attrib_64bit GL_ARB_vertex_type_2_10_10_10_rev GL_ARB_viewport_array
 GL_EXT_debug_label GL_EXT_debug_marker GL_EXT_framebuffer_multisample_blit_scaled GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_EXT_texture_sRGB_decode GL_APPLE_client_st
orage GL_APPLE_container_object_shareable GL_APPLE_fl
ush_render GL_APPLE_object_purgeable GL_APPLE_rgb_422 GL_APPLE_row_bytes GL_APPLE_texture_range GL_ATI_texture_mirror_once GL_NV_texture_barrier
OPENGL LOG: Creating OpenGL 4.1 graphics device ; Context level  <OpenGL 4.1> ; Context handle 1066118144
Begin MonoManager ReloadAssembly
- Completed reload, in  1.413 seconds
WARNING: RGBA Compressed BC7 UNorm format is not supported, decompressing texture
UnloadTime: 1.818800 ms
Release Build

Please advise if this still happens, as none of my rigs have a newer GPU that supports whatever is the Unity code that triggers this crash!

On 12/18/2020 at 6:41 AM, Lisias said:

Please advise if this still happens, as none of my rigs have a newer GPU that supports whatever is the Unity code that triggers this crash!

Hey

I was testing KSP 1.11.0 and guess what, it happended again!

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtUgGSbBKMe8jU9-C3DAYOtroEXk?e=mpafN6

From what I have been thinking and seeing, it may be a hardware combination that Unity 2019 doesn't like, since the previous cases of other people have an iGPU and a CPU with similar specs to mine, then we can make a list of APUs that will get bitten by this, tho that would need to be tested, but we can make some possible suspects.

Alright, this is getting weird now, I went into KSP 1.11 yesterday to test some stuff, and since I was making a huge vessel (crane) I used the mod HangarExtender to make my workspace larger, it removed all of the SPH including the lamps, but it still crashed into the TLAs.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtUgGSbBKMe8jVmk6UwBXjhbos89?e=VfXXc2

On 12/23/2020 at 11:57 AM, Commodore_32 said:

Alright, this is getting weird now, I went into KSP 1.11 yesterday to test some stuff, and since I was making a huge vessel (crane) I used the mod HangarExtender to make my workspace larger, it removed all of the SPH including the lamps, but it still crashed into the TLAs.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtUgGSbBKMe8jVmk6UwBXjhbos89?e=VfXXc2

This can be the same problem, or can be an unrelated problem with the same (mis)behaviour. Pretty state of the obvious, I know...  :/

Well, I did a peek on the FS Hangar Extender code that do Houdini with the VAB/SPH (I have some knowledge on it, as I toyed with it some time ago), and as far as I understood, what this code does is to disable the meshes of the building (and, of course, expand the area in which the camera can wander). So the particles are still there, running wild in background tasks - it happens that the meshes in which they are drawn are being short circuited from the DrawWorld main loop.

Of course, it's a guess. An educated one, but still a guess - the only guys that can know it for sure are the guys that know the KSP source code - something I do not...

I have been trying to get KSP 1.11.0 running to finish and test my Starship replica, something I have not achieved (yet), when I first updated to 1.11.0 it worked with no TLAs nearby, but, my FPS were in the floor with 5 FPS max, so I uninstalled all the visual mods and set the Graphics Setting to the minimum, sure enough, my FPS came back up, and came with the TLAs, and I have been noticing some stuff that re-inforces the CPU choking guess, because once the TLA appears and the game freezes, I have music playing in the background, and my media buttons of Skip, Stop, Pause, etc. no longer respond, and another thing is that my RGB profile for my keyboard and mouse freezes, AKA: in Corsair iCUE i set the RGB to show a sliding rainbow in my keyboard and mouse, and while KSP freezes the RGB no longer "slides" so it seems that the CPU does no longer transmit signals to peripherals and doesn't recieve media control, again, re-inforcing the theory of the CPU choking while the GPU has a rampage, and this will not be a polite post if I didn't include some juicy logs!!!

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtUgGSbBKMe8jWoAJv9ND3WYct3s?e=uBa9h2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Even just 2 basic mods is enough to crash this game...

In the other hand, I found another way to trigger the TLAs, see, while in the KSC view, if you hover your mouse in one of the buildings they generate particles to highlight them, so I thought, this happens with parts in the editors, so I turned off highlighting but it still happens due to those damn lights, also, I figured out that the offset and rotate gizmos in the editors (mis) behave similarly, since from what I remember, the TLAs happen while offsetting, rotating, or selecting a highlighted part.

Logs: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtUgGSbBKMe8jiqBd9H1b6HlJa3A?e=bAoOUg

Screenshot of when it happended:

2021-02-05_1.png?width=842&height=473

@Lisias

I have been testing with the TLAs a bit, 1.11.1 and 1.10.1 fully stock, with the same settings, I observed that 1.10.1 is less likely to crash than 1.11.1, however, today 1.11.1 is the one less likely to crash while 1.10.1 is the one that crashes now, and I was genuely confused, since yesterday I experimented with a CPU setting found in the KSP launcher application called "AMD compatibilty mode", this setting made my computer handle nicely KSP when I had 4GB of RAM instead of the 12GB that I have now, if it's on or off, it still crashes with no peformance difference, so I went to the Unity forums and in the thread of TLA_DEBUG_STACK_LEAK I found a post from a user with the label "Unity Technologies" telling:

"This is a known issue. Unity internally uses the TempJob label for the job type struct itself. We have a bug logged on it.
The warning is not fatal. It just holds on to the memory for an unexpected amount of time."

The last line gives us something that would explain why does it freeze, when the CPU chokes, it gives the workload to the RAM and it waits for the CPU, and I'm confident enough to say that my CPU is not good enough to reach back in a worst case scenario which is the most common, I say "worst case" because sometimes in the VAB I pan the view to those lamps and it freezes for like half a second and then comes back, which of course, it's the TLAs acting, and I would say that my RAM speed is also not fast enough to recieve the CPU's workload in time before it just crashes.

• 3 months later...

hi again

so I was just playing KSP yesterday to just do something

and now, you guessed it, the TLAs appeared, but in another form, this time I was just flying and recording and then BOOM, ksp just closed out of nowhere, sure enough when i opended the KSP.log, there were the TLAs, but now we have a video that shows how the recording ended the second it crashed.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtUgGSbBKMe8kSpfBVzVD4VxERgM?e=Gs4Mx7

• 1 month later...
44 minutes ago, MrLivion said:

I am having the same issue, the game is unplayable, any solutions?

Reduce particles. Considering you're complaining about TLA, that means you're on PC, so that means you can get Waterfall. This will dramatically reduce the number of particles. If you can, just use Waterfall as much as you can, and also remove EVE if they use a lot of clouds. Particles are basically 2D images put into a 3D space. Helpful for small effects, but not when there are multiple images in the same place.

4 minutes ago, GuessingEveryDay said:

Reduce particles. Considering you're complaining about TLA, that means you're on PC, so that means you can get Waterfall. This will dramatically reduce the number of particles. If you can, just use Waterfall as much as you can, and also remove EVE if they use a lot of clouds. Particles are basically 2D images put into a 3D space. Helpful for small effects, but not when there are multiple images in the same place.

I already use Waterfall and my game never crashed because of eve particles, maybe one time, but i was in the mun, so no particles rendered, my  game crashes only on VAB/SPH most of the time, sometimes on main menu

1 minute ago, MrLivion said:

I already use Waterfall and my game never crashed because of eve particles, maybe one time, but i was in the mun, so no particles rendered, my  game crashes only on VAB/SPH most of the time, sometimes on main menu

Yeah, the lights in VAB and SPH both use particles. Not sure about the main menu though.

4 minutes ago, GuessingEveryDay said:

Yeah, the lights in VAB and SPH both use particles. Not sure about the main menu though.

Maybe the main menu has some weird particle somewhere for some reason, or maybe it crashes for a completely different reason

Question: is there any way to fix the game crashing on VAB/SPH?
 my game is completely unplayable because of TLA, i cant build crafts without the game crashing.

On 6/23/2021 at 10:37 AM, MrLivion said:

I am having the same issue, the game is unplayable, any solutions?

On 6/23/2021 at 11:42 AM, MrLivion said:

Question: is there any way to fix the game crashing on VAB/SPH?
 my game is completely unplayable because of TLA, i cant build crafts without the game crashing.

KSP 1.12 is coming with a Unity update. There's a good chance this would fix the problem for you guys.

(this appears to be a problem on Unity)

1 hour ago, MrLivion said:

I am using mods that are not being updated since 1.8 and I dont think my pc would run 1.12 well :/

Most mods should survive well the transition to 1.12, I think it will worth a try.

I  really need some fix

what I will say will sound pretty stupid, but yet appears to be valid; apparently, this happens when the CPU is not able to catch up with the GPU (the GPU kinda asks the CPU for some thingies), and then something inside Unity blows up.

This problem appears to affect only newer GPUs with D3D 11 support.

So, in a desesperate move, downgrading your GPU to one that supports only D3D 10 or D3D 9 may solve the problem for you.

It's a kick in the balls, but it's the only thing I can think of - but since I never reproduced the problem myself, I can't even guarantee it will really work (it should, but I couldn't test it myself).

Sorry. :(

Removing Hangar Extender can help?

nope. This crap happens even on unmodded instalalments.

What we need is a mod that completely remove the particle effects (sparks) from the VAB/SPH lights, as I was determined that this is the trigger for the bug.

And it worth to mention that my crappy GPU doesn't renders such sparks.

Edited by Lisias
tyops. as usulla.

1 hour ago, Lisias said:

Most mods should survive well the transition to 1.12, I think it will worth a try.

what I will say will sound pretty stupid, but yet appears to be valid; apparently, this happens when the CPU is not able to catch up with the GPU (the GPU kinda asks the CPU for some thingies), and then something inside Unity blows up.

This problem appears to affect only newer GPUs with D3D 11 support.

So, in a desesperate move, downgrading your GPU to one that supports only D3D 10 or D3D 9 may solve the problem for you.

It's a kick in the balls, but it's the only thing I can think of - but since I never reproduced the problem myself, I can't even guarantee it will really work (it should, but I couldn't test it myself).

Sorry. :(

nope. This crap happens even on unmodded instalalments.

What we need is a mod that completely remove the particle effects (sparks) from the VAB/SPH lights, as I was determined that this is the trigger for the bug.

And it worth to mention that my crappy GPU doesn't renders such sparks.

I use a laptop I cant downgrade my GPU :/

I might try 1.12 if it even runs on my PC

I have yet to test if 1.12 does solve the issue, in the changelogs of Unity 2019.4.18f1 LTS (the one that 1.12 upgraded to) I couldn't find any track of the "fixed particles" issue, and in the known issues tab of the version that 1.8 uses I couldn't find it either, don't trust me much on this since I just did a quick search in a hurry and I didn't bother to go to all the changelogs of previous Unity 2019 releases, I will test 1.12 later on the day and I will come back and share the results.

7 minutes ago, MrLivion said:

I use a laptop I cant downgrade my GPU :/

I might try 1.12 if it even runs on my PC

If by some reason 1.12 is unfeasible for you (or do not fix the issue!), we will need to reverse engineer KSP in order to learn how to deactivate the light's sparks on VAB/SPH - it's the only alternative I can think of, if anyone know a better alternative, please advise...

3 minutes ago, Commodore_32 said:

I have yet to test if 1.12 does solve the issue, in the changelogs of Unity 2019.4.18f1 LTS (the one that 1.12 upgraded to) I couldn't find any track of the "fixed particles" issue, and in the known issues tab of the version that 1.8 uses I couldn't find it either, don't trust me much on this since I just did a quick search in a hurry and I didn't bother to go to all the changelogs of previous Unity 2019 releases, I will test 1.12 later on the day and I will come back and share the results.

I found two versions fixing some issues with Particles: 2019.3.0f6 and 2019.3.0b8. 

So, and assuming we are right about the issue, the latest KSP will have a Unity version with a fix for it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.