Kerbal ultralight aircraft race

The goal of this challenge is to fly an extremely lightweight aircraft and pilot from KSC runway to the island runway and back in as little time as possible.

Rules:
1. Your craft must be crewed.
2. Your craft must weigh under 500 kg.
3. The use of jet or rocket engines is prohibited.
4. You must either fly or taxi under BOTH hangars at the Island. You need not come to a complete stop.
5. Time starts as soon as the game starts it. Time stops when you are on the ground on the KSC runway again and under 1 m/s.
6. Any propulsion tech not mentioned is allowed. Even glitches. If you want to do the mission on a ladder you can.
7. Stock + DLC. Control mods are ok. Physics and parts mods are not.
8. Breaking parts is fine, but your craft should still be in at least somewhat flyable condition after landing if refueled, recharged, etc.

Edited by Pds314

1 hour ago, έķ νίĻĻάίή said:

So, rotors?

Propellers from breaking ground?

Well, or stock electric props, which can definitely get below the weight limit here. Or if you want you could use a ladder or something.

Edited by Pds314

And...done!

Cue action shot of the qualifying landing moment...

NNVzG8R.png

Yes that is a mighty 2m59s there and back run, including going through both hangars. Normal cruising speed was somewhere around 800-850m/s.

I'm working on getting the full video up (including the bloopers reel, this was my third attempt): and will hopefully be able to post this tomorrow.

On 1/19/2020 at 8:47 AM, Pds314 said:

2. Your craft must weigh under 500 kg.

The first thing I thought of was that this calls for a stock part to be added... a command seat with cycle pedals.

Just so that we can see Jeb pedalling away furiously as he propels his ultra, ultra light plane around.

On 1/23/2020 at 1:10 AM, dnbattley said:

Submission video: 

Hide contents

Edited to add: skip to 1:55 if you just want to see the final run. I have used some post-editing time acceleration for viewers' convenience.

Submission craft file: https://kerbalx.com/dnbattley/Half-Ton-Pocket-Rocket-VII

Brilliant! Love the long front gear giving you a nose up for takeoff.

4 hours ago, Klapaucius said:

Brilliant! Love the long front gear giving you a nose up for takeoff.

Thank you! I thought I already understood it pretty well, but I really learned a lot more about tweaking the aerodynamic model in this challenge - with minor changes (e.g. attaching landing wheels to a rearward, as opposed to radial, face, and ensuring closed nodes) making huge differences: collectively they made the difference between a top speed of below 300m/s and (in some cases) exceeding 900m/s! Ultimately the final design struck a balance between outright speed, manoeuvrability, and survivability on landing...

Edited by dnbattley

On 1/22/2020 at 1:19 PM, Fierce Wolf said:

Is it legit to...never reach the sky?

Think I had the same thought... electic boat.

Then again, it depends on how somewhat the "somewhat flyable condition" needs to be.

Edited by purpleivan

On 1/22/2020 at 4:19 AM, Fierce Wolf said:

Is it legit to...never reach the sky?

Are you gonna actually get a competitive time in a boat? xD

15 hours ago, purpleivan said:

Think I had the same thought... electic boat.

Then again, it depends on how somewhat the "somewhat flyable condition" needs to be.

I'll allow boats, but you'll need to take the same route as a plane (climbing onto the runways, going through the hangars) , and they should remain operable.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.