SpaceX or NASA?

What do you like more, SpaceX or NASA?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. SpaceX or NASA? Or you like both.

• SpaceX
    • NASA
    • Can’t decide ehh

NASA helped SpaceX get off the ground. Now that SpaceX is up and running it’s poised to do great things. But NASA is the one with human spaceflight experience and life support technologies. And NASA is the one building deep space probes. 

SpaceX would not be around without NASA’s help. And it still needs NASA’s help to continue doing great things. 

SpaceX is just a launch provider and rocket developer. The significant payloads come from elsewhere (other than Starlink)

NASA regularly assists SpaceX and SpaceX is a major NASA contractor.

3 hours ago, Dirkidirk said:

in general they are both great and cannot be compared, however when it comes to their rockets spaceX wins.

NASA doesn’t build rockets. At most it designs them and then contracts out the actual construction -  but even the engineering has contractors involved.

On 1/23/2020 at 6:17 AM, razark said:

I prefer Aero-Tech Industries.

Aerotech.png

Space-X and NASA are still trying to get beyond LEO, but AreoTech is ready to colonize Tellus and Vesta, no matter the cost.

Well, that reminds me of MY favourite company which is way ahead of yours:

1794874_1

Edited by Wjolcz

Well, if NASA's human spaceflight gets turned into a pass-through for Boeing doing everything, I'm gonna change my vote from both to SpaceX.

Any poll in future that has an option for "As long as it's not Boeing" as an answer, I think that's gonna become my default.

On 1/28/2020 at 4:21 AM, tater said:

Well, if NASA's human spaceflight gets turned into a pass-through for Boeing doing everything, I'm gonna change my vote from both to SpaceX.

Any poll in future that has an option for "As long as it's not Boeing" as an answer, I think that's gonna become my default.

Have you seen the NASA Authorisation Bill?

On 1/27/2020 at 7:08 AM, Dale Christopher said:

It’s like comparing apples and oranges 

This, and its about focus and organization also funding. 
SpaceX don't have any Mars rovers (yet), nor have plans to send probes out to asteroids or outer planets, nor have space telescopes. 
They also do lots of other stuff like earth observation and flight research like quite supersonic or if you can power an high attitude UAV with an laser.
NASA main issue is funding: US  tend to change their president every 8 year, and each president has different objectives also the mix in the houses changes to president has more problem getting stuff funded. 
You get lots of pork, breeding and feeding pigs is more effective. 

SpaceX is the other way around, they are funded by Musk with the long term objective to make an colony on Mars. 
To do anything serious in space you need cheap access and reuse was an requirement for this. 
Well SpaceX got very lucky, with 9 engines the falcon 9 first stage 

• 1 year later...

While I do know that spacex is not a competitor of NASA I will never understand why people get more exited over spacex missions than missions from organisations such as JAXA, ESA, NASA and Roscosmos. Their missions are so much cooler and more interesting than some company building and selling rockets.

Without taking sides in the topic overall, SpaceX just has a better PR department.

Their streams are better hosted and in better quality than NASA TV, and they do a lot of their activities in public where we can watch the progress step-by-step in live HD as it happens rather than in still frames weeks after the event after security has cleared the photos for ITAR.

Also in the areas of human spaceflight and rocketry (arguably the coolest areas) SpaceX is free to innovate its products to produce things that are modern and exciting, whereas theses days NASA is not.

Now that's not an entirely fair comparison, but it is why it's easy to be a fan of SpaceX.

Overall NASA is a niche in a pop culture. At the same time Space X is a product of a pop culture despite the fact that SpaceX is doing really great thing you can see in the internet. I'd prefer SpaceX becuase of their media quality, but in general the best is a union of SpaceX and NASA in my opinion. :)

3 hours ago, Mr.dobsonian said:

While I do know that spacex is not a competitor of NASA I will never understand why people get more exited over spacex missions than missions from organisations such as JAXA, ESA, NASA and Roscosmos. Their missions are so much cooler and more interesting than some company building and selling rockets.

SpaceX launches was very exciting back then landing first stages was new and exciting. Now they are routine and fairly boring. The video quality is very good however. 
Soyuz launches looks cooler with the boosters separation but they have worse video production quality. 

Now the starship test launch will be exiting again :) 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.