KSP Loading...: No Place Like Kerbin

SQUAD

All right, that's decent. Not quite ReStock quality, not quite what I hoped for, but up to MH standards, at least. At least all the bits are in place, and can be made visible.

Although, if you gonna have foil, make it foily. You guys implemented the reflection shader for a reason.

Much better overall level of detail on those two engines. Shocked to see actual listening to the community, good job there. 

Let's see how we did from my previous set of thoughts from the other thread:

On 1/10/2020 at 12:19 PM, Nertea said:
  1. The engine should maintain the lore of the original: ''A monster of an engine for heavy lifting purposes, the Mainsail's power rivals that of entire small nations'. This is... well, this is KSP's most iconic engine, along with the big orange tank. 
  2. The engine's art style should match up with what we've done before: because we should be consistent
  3. The engine should have the features we've been putting in our recent engine redos: like variants, and emissive textures
  4. If we're to use a real engine, that should be a powerful booster engine. Makes sense, right? 
  5. The engine should look and feel powerful. As the community's comments on this thread do seem to indicate, this would be quite relevant. It's the vaguest on this list but arguably the most important.

My thoughts on these. 

1. I'm still not feeling it, but it's certainly better at feeling like an engine!
  2. Getting into an improvement here, but it seems that a bunch of bits are now reflective? I know you did that with the ant/spider before, but you need to step up this work - commit to using modern shader features or don't. Maybe use them for things that should have them, like the scattered different gold foil styles all over the game.
  3. Big yep! Now we match previous revamp work! variants and all that jazz
  4. Still a big mess there, but didn't expect change at all from the engine that was being used as a base.
  5. Though I don't love it, I guess the exaggerated exhausts on the generator do help convey a feeling of power. Let's say 50% marks. 

So overall, good job! I suspect if you'd started out with this level of effort people would have been happier. 

That there is one purdy Mainsail.

WELL DONE. Seriously those 2 engines plus the SRBs are worth the upgrade alone.

Then I read the comments. Even most compliments have extremely poorly veiled insults and complaints. I'd have given up on us by now so again Squad thank you for keeping up with updating the game.

Edited by 5thHorseman

Honestly, I couldn't ask for anything better than the new new Mainsail. Like I don't think much more could be done without redoing it from the scratch. I'm speechless. I was literally pointing my hands at the screen saying "T h i s".

New textures, much yes, technical features yes!

Now when do we get new water shader? Current one got old :wink:

Edited by The Aziz

4 hours ago, SQUAD said:

Kerbin has received major visual improvements. With detailed high-quality texture maps and (because there is no place like home) an Ultra Quality shader option, the Kerbal home planet is looking better than ever.

Is the desert air strip getting an Ultra Quality flag per chance?  It cries at night when it thinks of the glory of it's KSC cousin.

fCVQ2Sd.gif

Otherwise, enjoying the look of the Kerbin upgrades.

4 hours ago, SQUAD said:

an adjustment to the time warp system that removes restrictions on warping at certain altitudes

What is this black magic?  What dark sacrifice have you made to the Kraken?

4 hours ago, SQUAD said:

and a new Screenshot Mode that will allow you to pause the game, move the camera and take the best shot by hitting the Escape key and then F2.

Very cool little feature.

54 minutes ago, Kerballing (Got Dunked On) said:

Wait hold up, is 1.9 live now?

read the first paragraph again:

For the time being, and for this KSP Loading in particular, we’re going to focus on some of the stuff that is going to roll onto the launchpad in Kerbal Space Program 1.9: No Place Like Home! So buckle up:

5 hours ago, SQUAD said:

Kerbal Space Program 1.9: No Place Like Home! will also include a new part that works as a release valve for parts with drainable resources, such as monopropellant, ore, liquid fuel, oxidizer or xenon. This part will also allow you to set the drainage over a specific amount of time, a feature that will undoubtedly come in handy. 

I've seen this asked on twitter and reddit but still have not seen an answer and IMO it should have been included in every description of this part - does it create thrust?? I'm not advocating that it should or that it shouldn't I simply want to know :P

27 minutes ago, Drew Kerman said:

I've seen this asked on twitter and reddit but still have not seen an answer and IMO it should have been included in every description of this part - does it create thrust?? I'm not advocating that it should or that it shouldn't I simply want to know :P

It is weird that they seem oblivious to the question.

14 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

It is weird that they seem oblivious to the question.

They probably want us to find out the kerbal way: through trial and error. Like by setting up a Dres intercept, then dumping excess props only to find out your intercept is now waaaayyyyy off. 

But yeah, revamps look good, time warp is good, can’t wait, yadda yaddayadda

7 hours ago, SQUAD said:
 and a new Screenshot Mode that will allow you to pause the game, move the camera and take the best shot by hitting the Escape key and then F2. There are several more QoL features we’re sure you’ll appreciate, too!

FINALLY YES!!!!! I CAN NOW MAKE MORE PHOTOS LIKE THESE

planet-green-poster.png?w=1024

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.