KSP Loading...: No Place Like Kerbin

SQUAD

On 1/25/2020 at 12:46 AM, 5thHorseman said:

Yes but they haven't started yet. So it will take x+6 hours where x is a positive, finite integer.

You seem to have hit the nail. I had just managed to land three landers on the Mun and connected them. My first effort for a long term self sufficient Mun Base, when I red about the new update coming.
So in the same frustration as always, I deleted everything to get ready to start over.

This is now closing in on 20 days ago... and the update is still not here. Aww. Can't start over now...

On 1/29/2020 at 2:41 PM, MechBFP said:

In the future

Love this reply.

11 minutes ago, EasyAce said:

You seem to have hit the nail. I had just managed to land three landers on the Mun and connected them. My first effort for a long term self sufficient Mun Base, when I red about the new update coming.
So in the same frustration as always, I deleted everything to get ready to start over.

I doubt you'll need to start over for 1.9. Updates usually don't break all mods - in fact, usually they'll break hardly any at all. 1.8 was an exception, because they changed the underlying Unity engine, but I've still been able to bring my main modded save from 1.3.1 up to 1.8.1 with little trouble.

Edited by RealKerbal3x

11 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

I doubt you'll need to start over for 1.9. Updates usually don't break all mods - in fact, usually they'll break hardly any at all. 1.8 was an exception, because they changed the underlying Unity engine, but I've still been able to bring my main modded save from 1.3.1 up to 1.8.1 with little trouble.

really depends on the mods you use tho, mods that only add parts usually don't break anything. but mods that change game-play or any other mechanics, well just hope for the best i guess

9 hours ago, Noud said:

really depends on the mods you use tho, mods that only add parts usually don't break anything. but mods that change game-play or any other mechanics, well just hope for the best i guess

Agree. I have enough experience with waiting until the last minute to make some safe decisions, only to miss the window and see steam autoupdate everything. Almost always result in my space stations wiggeling it self to explode and ships on long voyages suddenly become trash. All those kerbals lost...

On 2/5/2020 at 12:22 PM, EasyAce said:

Agree. I have enough experience with waiting until the last minute to make some safe decisions, only to miss the window and see steam autoupdate everything. Almost always result in my space stations wiggeling it self to explode and ships on long voyages suddenly become trash. All those kerbals lost...

Don't play directly from the Steam folder. Copy your entire KSP folder elsewhere and play from there.

You can have as many KSP copies as you need. That lets you control when updates take effect, test things in 2 different versions if something isn't right after an update, or run the same KSP release with 2 different sets of mods.

25 minutes ago, Ruedii said:

What's the current Unity version, if it is 2019.x or 2020.x is there a chance we could get that experimental incremental GC in the update? 

I believe that is already in place as of 1.8, as that is when the engine was updated. 

4 hours ago, Ruedii said:

What's the current Unity version, if it is 2019.x or 2020.x is there a chance we could get that experimental incremental GC in the update? 

3 hours ago, MechBFP said:

I believe that is already in place as of 1.8, as that is when the engine was updated. 

KSP 1.8 introduced Unity 2019.2.2f1

Current Unity version: Unity 2019.3.0

Released: 28 January 2020
OS: Windows 7 SP1+, 8, 10, 64-bit versions only; macOS 10.12+; Ubuntu 16.04, 18.04, and CentOS 7.
GPU: Graphics card with DX10 (shader model 4.0) capabilities.

On 2/6/2020 at 10:32 PM, zer0Kerbal said:

KSP 1.8 introduced Unity 2019.2.2f1

Current Unity version: Unity 2019.3.0

Released: 28 January 2020
OS: Windows 7 SP1+, 8, 10, 64-bit versions only; macOS 10.12+; Ubuntu 16.04, 18.04, and CentOS 7.
GPU: Graphics card with DX10 (shader model 4.0) capabilities.

So enabling that feature might be an option. 

BTW
They probably should update their Ubuntu version requirements.  Ubuntu 16.04 , 18.04 and 19.10 are both currently compatible and have update support the line "or compatible" might work here as well.

Ideally they should look at possibly building against Steam Runtime.  This might improve compatibility.

Edited by Ruedii

On 2/7/2020 at 9:05 AM, Ruedii said:

Unity Incremental GC has been enabled since KSP 1.8.0

On 2/9/2020 at 3:20 PM, JPLRepo said:

Unity Incremental GC has been enabled since KSP 1.8.0

Good to know.  Probably still needs a lot of tuning, but I have felt less hard stutter.   

I wish they'd implement COW and Invalidation techniques to get full concurrent GC at the expense of efficiency.

Oh you might want to look at the aeordynamic calculations and the aerodynamic FX routines to see if all of these are properly running everything possible in TLAB to reduce heap usage.

Edited by Ruedii

I live and breathe for the part revamps. I’m glad you’re updating so many parts. I’m just sad we’re getting them all when KSP 2 is coming out so soon. Although it makes sense because Squad’s probably hiring more people, and training by updating or adding new parts, and putting the best ones in the game. Training for developers, and improvements to the game! It’s a win-win!

14 hours ago, Zackthemaf666 said:

I live and breathe for the part revamps. I’m glad you’re updating so many parts. I’m just sad we’re getting them all when KSP 2 is coming out so soon. A

I'm not so sure about that. We haven't heard a single *beep* about KSP2 since end of October 2019, that was 3 1/2 months ago!
Originally KSP2 was teased as being released in "Spring 2020" (very vague, and officially it was only ever advertised even vaguer as simply "in 2020") and later confirmed to definitely not being released before April 2020 (Begin of Take 2's fiscal year 2021).
For a game that is supposed to be released  in just a few months, they have shown very little to get their intended audience excited about it.

So given what we know and how much we have been shown, I would not expect KSP2 to be released any earlier than Q4 2020.

I'm getting fairly frequent crashes. Sometimes I first get a screen with only the skybox when I return to KSC. It seems to occur more often if I use the new freeze time to screenshot feature, but has happened even without it. Running full stock, just verified the files off Steam.

Also Moho looks very nice. :)

In KSP 1.9 I am having trouble finishing one of those "take EVA report on surface of Kerbin at Alpha, Beta, Gamma site" contracts because I can't run a kerbal without them sinking through Kerbin's ground terrain and exploding in a puff of smoke because of it.  To keep them from dying I have to stop every 2 or 3 meters and let go of the controls when I see their feet starting to sink below the surface to make the kerbal rise back up to the surface properly.  If the Kerbal sinks more than halfway down into the surface, they blow up.

Has anyone else been getting this?

2 hours ago, Steven Mading said:

In KSP 1.9 I am having trouble finishing one of those "take EVA report on surface of Kerbin at Alpha, Beta, Gamma site" contracts because I can't run a kerbal without them sinking through Kerbin's ground terrain and exploding in a puff of smoke because of it.  To keep them from dying I have to stop every 2 or 3 meters and let go of the controls when I see their feet starting to sink below the surface to make the kerbal rise back up to the surface properly.  If the Kerbal sinks more than halfway down into the surface, they blow up.

Has anyone else been getting this?

Are you running any environmental mods?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.