To CKAN or not to CKAN?

EasyAce

To CKAN or not to CKAN  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer CKAN?

• Yes I CKAN
    • No CKAN't

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/31/2020 at 10:59 PM

I use it whenever I c(k)an, because (1) it helps me quickly track and download mod updates, (2) I can find the mods I need quicker without the need to search for them in the forums and elsewhere and (3) it has links to forum and (usually) Github pages that I sometimes need.

It's a bit of a complicated install on macOS, and when I started playing didn't work at all under the OS version I was running.  I also tend to run a fairly bleeding-edge group of mods, and have seen enough issues from CKAN pop up to be wary of it - and installing mods isn't actually all that troublesome.

You're gonna have to figure out how to mod manually after CKAN loves up, so i cut out the middle man relatively quickly when i began modding KSP. I wouldn't reccomend using CKAN to anyone honestly; especially newbies. Because they're the least likely to understand WHY things aren't working, and CKAN doesn't help them at all.

I like CKAN, but lately I've been installing mods manually because I've just had less trouble doing it that way. 

Since I started modding, I've started carefully curating my mods instead of just shotgunning everything that sounds like it might be interesting into GameData.  CKAN is pretty good for seeing what's available (on CKAN) and mass installing a bunch of stuff, but I'm finding more and more that I end up having to visit the forums to pick up mods that still work but haven't updated and aren't listed on CKAN without ticking a box that ends up listing a bunch of other mods that don't work in the version I'm using, or unofficial fixes for mods, or config files / modulemanager patches.   Or the correct versions of mods because CKAN metadata is wrong.   And really it's just good practice to check the forum threads before blindly installing stuff anyway.  So as of late I'm leaning more towards not using CKAN.

All that said, I do appreciate the effort behind it and still find it useful for quickly browsing through most of the mods available and having a link to the relevant forum thread so I can download from there and install it myself.

Edited by nanobug

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.