The Aziz

I can't start over

Recommended Posts

I feel like it's the exact opposite to the feeling many people here experience, but short introduction story first:

See, a long time ago I had my long lasting save, going strong through three major versions, but I had to drop it due to lack of time.

Then I had another one, also super long, but this one was so cluttered with vessels that it became unplayable due to terrible performance. But I visited many places, landed on many bodies, returned from few. I could say that I can indeed play this game, since, even though there were some hiccups, I was able to do many impressive things.

Then I made third one, with different set of mods, but life happened, and I couldn't play too much - and when I was able to play again, I couldn't remember what I was doing before the hiatus.

And this is where the problem started. I've had multiple attempts to try new game, but I've never made it any further than the exploration of Kerbin system.

I've tried over and over again, but I just get frustrated at simple early missions to collect some science. I know I can build a ship capable of going to Duna and back multiple times, but I crash the second flight since hour zero. And after several reverts I give up.

I know I could try sandbox or AltF12 my way out of the early game and boost the save with some money/science/both, but I personally don't feel it being fair, even to myself. I want to see some kind of progression in my game, but it just hurts.

I'm lost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wait for KSP2 then I say. 
Or go play Battletech or Mechwarrior 5. (I might be a little biased.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

I know I could try sandbox or AltF12 my way out of the early game and boost the save with some money/science/both, but I personally don't feel it being fair, even to myself. I want to see some kind of progression in my game, but it just hurts.

The only fairness that matters on a single player is your enjoyment. We do games for enjoyment, not for fairness.

There's no shame on fast track things if this is what gets you motivated - and you already did all of that before!

I don't have a working joystick on my rig (thanks, Unity 2017). Guess what? I'm using autopilots. And I having fun nevertheless.

Edited by Lisias
Hit "Save" too soon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have 2 thoughts for you. I've done both and both have worked.

  1. Mods. Install mods that get around the drudgery. In particular, I find ForScience a lifesaver. I don't think I'll ever manually collect science again.
  2. Quit. I know it sounds harsh but maybe you're sick of the game? Play other games. I'm doing that right now. Game Pass for Windows Beta is $1 and you can play hundreds of games. I just started Talos Principle and if you liked Portal's puzzles you're in for a good time. Or if you're like me you have a crazy backlog on Steam from sales and Humble Bundles. Go play those. Factorio just released Beta 0.18 and it's a solid game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[waves of empathy and sympathy]

Good ol' Career Restart Syndrome.  Every time I get out to a certain point, I say, "This is it.  I am sticking with this one, no matter what comes out."

But, inevitably, something gets released that I really want to play with... and then, before you know it, bam!  Back to Tech Level Nothing.  In two careers, I have made it to landing a probe or rover on Duna; in other careers I have managed Eve and Moho flybys.  I have never been to Dres, Eeloo, or the Jool system, and I have never gotten a full Minmus fuel mining operation up and running.

Someday...

My current 1.8/1.8.1 career is just about to top out the tech tree and I have probes launched to every planet; first one to arrive (today) was Moho.  I have to say that I like the designs I've come up with this time around better than just about anything before, and I've actually managed to launch and land a couple of spaceplanes.  I'm also being very careful on accumulating space junk... only have 15 derelicts whizzing around out there, and when I can trap them and deorbit or destroy them, too, I will.  This time, I vow, I will see Kerbals set foot on Duna.

Unless 1.9 comes along with something I decide I can't live without (though it doesn't look like it will, so far).

So, I feel your pain.  However, the urge for Moar Boosters keeps me coming back...  :confused:

Edited by MaxwellsDemon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well...

Every time I get far into a game, I've had this thing where I find that I can't load a save game because it says "value cannot be nul". And it sucks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have also tried to re-start careers, but always come back to my original save, started in version 1.0.5.  The sandbox aspects of KSP are more fun than the progression aspects to me, and I like the toys I've put in my the sandbox.

I have had no trouble copying that save over to new versions.  I added the Making History and Breaking Ground mods.  Then I decided I didn't want the clutter, evacuated and replaced all craft using parts from those mods.

Re-arranging the planets with the 'Snarkiverse' configuration to Kopernicus was fun. A few of the orbiting craft were thrown into deep space and needed rescues.  Snarkiverse moves the moons, so my Gilly mining outpost servicing the Eve colony needed to be moved from Moho back to Eve. 

I still take contracts, doing them however I find interesting.  A contract for an Eve outpost with 3 scientists induced me to make a re-usable shuttle between the base and an orbital station, and a pre-Breaking-Ground stock propeller craft to get around on Eve.  That took about six months of real time. A Duna-base contract will involve a shuttle in an Aldrin cycler orbit, just because I've never done that before. 

Then there are challenges on this forum, which I often try, but too slow to really participate in the thread (which I suspect is actually fairly common).  If you like your save, just use it as a sandbox and do any of the crazy things you see others do on this forum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is a nice set of responses I gotta say.

7 hours ago, MechBFP said:

Wait for KSP2 then I say. 

I'm worried it would happen there too. But who knows.

7 hours ago, Lisias said:

The only fairness that matters on a single player is your enjoyment. We do games for enjoyment, not for fairness.

It's the inside feeling. I won't cheat if it's any sort of story/career mode, in any game. If I'm just messing around, like trying to crash Minmus into the sun, in sandbox of course, then sure.

6 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

I have 2 thoughts for you. I've done both and both have worked.

  1. Mods. Install mods that get around the drudgery. 
  2. Quit. I know it sounds harsh but maybe you're sick of the game? Play other games. 

1. Been there. I think only the first save mentioned above wasn't filled with mods. I've tried different setups, and they were super enjoyable. In one of the last attempts I went for lil' bit of automation, some useful utilities, stockalike parts, I was even brave (and stupid) enough to try life support. Couldn't continue playing anyway.

2. I did. That's not a recent thing, I think it started to happen around version 1.7 or even 1.6? I've finished several games over the last year or so, I thought, 1.9 announcement gave me a good push to try again - didn't work, altF4'd after like 20 minutes.

6 hours ago, MaxwellsDemon said:

Good ol' Career Restart Syndrome.  Every time I get out to a certain point, I say, "This is it.  I am sticking with this one, no matter what comes out."

But, inevitably, something gets released that I really want to play with... and then, before you know it, bam!  Back to Tech Level Nothing. 

Like I said, I think it's the opposite of that. I don't care if a new version is out, if the save and possible mod setup is compatible, I update and play with it. This is why I was able to get so far in the old saves. But now, if I drop the game for few weeks, (and that happens often these days) I just can't pick it up again.

6 minutes ago, OHara said:

I have also tried to re-start careers, but always come back to my original save, started in version 1.0.5.  The sandbox aspects of KSP are more fun than the progression aspects to me, and I like the toys I've put in my the sandbox.

I have had no trouble copying that save over to new versions.  I added the Making History and Breaking Ground mods.  Then I decided I didn't want the clutter, evacuated and replaced all craft using parts from those mods.

Re-arranging the planets with the 'Snarkiverse' configuration to Kopernicus was fun. A few of the orbiting craft were thrown into deep space and needed rescues.  Snarkiverse moves the moons, so my Gilly mining outpost servicing the Eve colony needed to be moved from Moho back to Eve. 

I still take contracts, doing them however I find interesting.  A contract for an Eve outpost with 3 scientists induced me to make a re-usable shuttle between the base and an orbital station, and a pre-Breaking-Ground stock propeller craft to get around on Eve.  That took about six months of real time. A Duna-base contract will involve a shuttle in an Aldrin cycler orbit, just because I've never done that before. 

Then there are challenges on this forum, which I often try, but too slow to really participate in the thread (which I suspect is actually fairly common).  If you like your save, just use it as a sandbox and do any of the crazy things you see others do on this forum.

Done all that. Decisions to stop playing were all mine, well, except when I was forced to do it by life. Even if my saves survived many updates.

I did try rearranging the stock system by myself, came up with something quite good I think (unaware of the existence of Snarkiverse) but it was fun until I somehow lost the files. Yes, sandbox is fun, but not in long-term, at least for me. Just to mess around from time to time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, The Aziz said:

I feel like it's the exact opposite to the feeling many people here experience, but short introduction story first:

See, a long time ago I had my long lasting save, going strong through three major versions, but I had to drop it due to lack of time.

Then I had another one, also super long, but this one was so cluttered with vessels that it became unplayable due to terrible performance. But I visited many places, landed on many bodies, returned from few. I could say that I can indeed play this game, since, even though there were some hiccups, I was able to do many impressive things.

Then I made third one, with different set of mods, but life happened, and I couldn't play too much - and when I was able to play again, I couldn't remember what I was doing before the hiatus.

And this is where the problem started. I've had multiple attempts to try new game, but I've never made it any further than the exploration of Kerbin system.

I've tried over and over again, but I just get frustrated at simple early missions to collect some science. I know I can build a ship capable of going to Duna and back multiple times, but I crash the second flight since hour zero. And after several reverts I give up.

I know I could try sandbox or AltF12 my way out of the early game and boost the save with some money/science/both, but I personally don't feel it being fair, even to myself. I want to see some kind of progression in my game, but it just hurts.

I'm lost.

Yes.

In the last few months I played 2 career with little satisfaction. Played each  with increasing difficulty but it is just more frustrating. The parts are wrong, the tech inadequate, contracts offers are unsatisfying, the ratio difficulty reward isn't good enough.

 

Currently "Dabbling" with docking in LKO with stations on an inclination.

 

Rooting for you.

 

ME

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure if it's already been suggested but you could just changed the starting funds/science.

Recently I've changed so the game starts with...

> 2700 science 700 reputation 200K funds.
> then cut funds rewards and science rewards to 10/20% (depends how grindy you want the game to be)
>no quicksaves, no reverts, plasma blackout on, parts and kerbals have tolerances etc.

> unlocked parts MUST be purchased with funds

> start game... alt f12 > Maximum Tech and Maximum facilities
> in the Admin building, use the strategy that takes 100% of your science and converts it to funds
>reset reputation to zero (or as close as you can)
> away you go!

For me, I've found this makes more sense when playing the game (successful science missions = more funding! ...instead of Mun Rocks unlocking a new engine for some reason)  and cuts out the first few (at this point) annoying missions. It does feel a little cheaty at the beginning I admit... but you can make it much more challenging at the same time.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/24/2020 at 7:26 PM, The Aziz said:

... Then I had another one, also super long, but this one was so cluttered with vessels that it became unplayable due to terrible performance ...

... I know I could try sandbox or AltF12 my way out of the early game and boost the save with some money/science/both, but I personally don't feel it being fair, even to myself ...

You can permanently delete unneeded vessels using the Tracking Station. There's a button in the lower-left corner beneath the vessel list. I suggest making a new save just before using that button, because if you have the wrong vessel selected you'll lose it.

KSP is a single player game. Alt-f12 doesn't hurt anyone, and can help you get past a boring, bugged, or otherwise unfun part of game progression.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it doesn't much have to do with a new career, what The Aziz is trying to explain is that when not playing for 2/3/more days, it's difficult to get back to game. You have let's say 2 hours, but you spend let's says half an hour trying to figure out what was going on. It's quite frustrating, I admit.

For that some would say to use a spreadsheet, but then you have to spend time to maintain it...

I feel a bit what you are saying, even if I'm usually able to play 2 to 10 hours (when other things slow down) a week...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2020 at 12:26 AM, The Aziz said:

I feel like it's the exact opposite to the feeling many people here experience, but short introduction story first:

See, a long time ago I had my long lasting save, going strong through three major versions, but I had to drop it due to lack of time.

Then I had another one, also super long, but this one was so cluttered with vessels that it became unplayable due to terrible performance. But I visited many places, landed on many bodies, returned from few. I could say that I can indeed play this game, since, even though there were some hiccups, I was able to do many impressive things.

Then I made third one, with different set of mods, but life happened, and I couldn't play too much - and when I was able to play again, I couldn't remember what I was doing before the hiatus.

And this is where the problem started. I've had multiple attempts to try new game, but I've never made it any further than the exploration of Kerbin system.

I've tried over and over again, but I just get frustrated at simple early missions to collect some science. I know I can build a ship capable of going to Duna and back multiple times, but I crash the second flight since hour zero. And after several reverts I give up.

I know I could try sandbox or AltF12 my way out of the early game and boost the save with some money/science/both, but I personally don't feel it being fair, even to myself. I want to see some kind of progression in my game, but it just hurts.

I'm lost.

 

Man, this is normal. You just arent in a "KSP zone".

Put it down, uninstall, play something else. Forget about it, its not going anywhere.

Then one day, you'll be talking to a friend and they'll be like "Omg you gotta play this game, its a bit weird, its called Kerbal Space Program..."

That is literally what happened to me about a week ago, Ive been out of KSP for a good long while and now Im starting again from square one all over again and am loving it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I made a 2 year pause in KSP playing, concentrating on my personal amateur primitive parts design for it, and now it is a rather different game with much greater abilities added by Squad since that time, so I will start a career from scratch just to get in, like I was never playing previously.

Edited by kerbiloid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(Also, I get this a LOT. I hardly ever complete a game to its conclusion, mainly long-form RPGs. Never got past about halfway in Skyrim, have played Kingdom Come several times. You play long enough to get saturated, play something else to change things up and all of a sudden your 80hour save game is going untouched for weeks and now you cant remember any of the motivations you had for your character or why you have ninety partly done quests in your journal and you cant stomach playing it all again. Until next time....)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really enjoy the early career game and have tended to start a new career with each new KSP version, meaning I don't have particularly big and cluttered saves.  I usually do one mission at a time, so my current Duna mission is the only thing flying besides a couple of unmanned stations/landers around the Mun and Minmus, and my communications network.  This means my save game is really easy to pick up if I've not played for a while.

However I stopped playing for a year or so and had a bit of a detour though X4 (disappointing), Superhot VR (awesome but too short) and various other games before going back to KSP, and I realised the other day that I started back about a year ago and have been playing regularly since then.  Different mods help keep my interest too, and I'm currently somewhat obsessed with kOS, which is a double edged sword when it comes to not playing for a bit, on the plus side I know I can put together a ship and fire it off to the Mun or Minmus, or at the moment up to the Duna mid course correction, without any issues.  But on the negative side trying to debug code I wrote 6 months earlier and haven't looked at since can be tricky.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.