[1.12.x] Bureaucracy - Monthly Budgets, Reimagined (1.6.1 - 16/03/2023 (Final release))

severedsolo

Hello.

I've been running around patching mods that use KACAPI to use the native built in timer in KSP instead.  Yours was one of them.  Here is the pull request from my tested, working work.  You are more than welcome to it:

https://github.com/severedsolo/Bureaucracy/pull/12

The test binary (and source with MIT License)  is also available for interested users.  It is for testing purposes only and I have no plans to update/maintain it, but it does work.

https://github.com/R-T-B/Bureaucracy/releases

1 hour ago, R-T-B said:

I've been running around patching mods that use KACAPI to use the native built in timer in KSP instead.  Yours was one of them.  Here is the pull request from my tested, working work.  You are more than welcome to it:

Hey man, thank you very much I appreciate it!

1 hour ago, severedsolo said:

Hey man, thank you very much I appreciate it!

No problem.  Don't mind the commit log, it actually works well now.  First attempt had a bug or two but I now think it's pretty usable code. :)

• 1 month later...

Bureaucracy 1.5 Released!

• Recompile against KSP 1.12.2 - not compatible with 1.11.x or earlier.
  • Add support for OPM in the CBK config (thanks Gordon-Dry)
  • Alarms are now handled by the stock Alarm Clock (thanks R-T-B).
  • Added "Bank of Kerbin" script. You can now store and withdraw funds (no auto-allocation right now, that will come later).
  • UI now properly scrolls - this indirectly fixes the issue where the Crew Training dialog would go off screen.
  • Retirement dates will no longer be saved if Retirement is disabled.
  • Retirement dates will now correctly regenerate if Retirement is re-enabled after being disabled.
  • Mod will add an alarm for when Kerbals are going to be done training.
  • Mod will now intelligently identify if the KCT warning should be shown.

• 3 weeks later...

Something adds some 0.5-1 Science Points when the game is loaded and I think it's Bureaucracy. I remember saving the game with 49.x Science Points (I think it was 49.9 but can't remember exactly) but after loading today I have 50.3.  And I found these entries in the KSP.log just a fraction of a second after Awake entries, which I think mark game start:

[LOG 19:27:18.835] [UiApp] Awake: Contracts
[LOG 19:27:18.835] [UiApp] Awake: KSPedia
[LOG 19:27:18.835] [UiApp] Awake: Missions App
[LOG 19:27:18.835] [UiApp] Awake: AlarmClock

(...)

[LOG 19:27:19.092] [Bureaucracy]: kerbalism_SITE@KerbinInSpaceHighAridMidlands completed. Adding 0.05036978 science
[LOG 19:27:19.093] [Bureaucracy]: Science Event SITE (Kerbin space high Arid Midlands) completed
[LOG 19:27:19.093] [Bureaucracy]: kerbalism_SITE@KerbinInSpaceLow completed. Adding 0.55467 science
[LOG 19:27:19.094] [Bureaucracy]: Science Event SITE (Kerbin space low) completed
[LOG 19:27:19.094] [Bureaucracy]: Adding 0.209728 for kerbalism_TELEMETRY@KerbinFlyingHighNorthernSea

What are these?

Edited by JebIsDeadBaby

Just now, JebIsDeadBaby said:

Something adds some 0.5-1 Science Points when the game is loaded and I think it's Bureaucracy. I remember saving the game with 49.x Science Points (I think it was 49.9 but can't remember exactly) but after loading today I have 50.3.  And I found these entries in the KSP.log jast a fraction of a second after Awake entries, which I think mark game start:

[LOG 19:27:18.835] [UiApp] Awake: Contracts
[LOG 19:27:18.835] [UiApp] Awake: KSPedia
[LOG 19:27:18.835] [UiApp] Awake: Missions App
[LOG 19:27:18.835] [UiApp] Awake: AlarmClock

(...)

[LOG 19:27:19.092] [Bureaucracy]: kerbalism_SITE@KerbinInSpaceHighAridMidlands completed. Adding 0.05036978 science
[LOG 19:27:19.093] [Bureaucracy]: Science Event SITE (Kerbin space high Arid Midlands) completed
[LOG 19:27:19.093] [Bureaucracy]: kerbalism_SITE@KerbinInSpaceLow completed. Adding 0.55467 science
[LOG 19:27:19.094] [Bureaucracy]: Science Event SITE (Kerbin space low) completed
[LOG 19:27:19.094] [Bureaucracy]: Adding 0.209728 for kerbalism_TELEMETRY@KerbinFlyingHighNorthernSea

What are these?

It's the daily budget catching up with itself. The budget runs (approximately) every 1 solar day on your homeworld. However, if you happen to leave the scene before a full day has passed, you won't get the reward. So when the mod loads, it checks when the last update was and catches itself up.

Hey, just wanted to say I've been having a blast with this mod! Who knew budgeting a space program could be fun? :D

Quick question: if I want for funds to be more meaningful (e.g. I have some incentive to build cheaper/reusable rockets), what should I do?  Disable budget caps and decrease rep rewards to compensate?

10 hours ago, Tonas1997 said:

Quick question: if I want for funds to be more meaningful (e.g. I have some incentive to build cheaper/reusable rockets), what should I do?  Disable budget caps and decrease rep rewards to compensate?

If you are planning to go interplanetary, in my experience this is a problem that solves itself later in the game - I turn on Rep Decay (at about 5/10%) - although I have plenty of money in the "Apollo era" - when I'm going interplanetary it's not unusual for a launch to cost me 400-500k funds which obviously takes a big chunk out of the budget. Without flying other missions, the rep is decaying between launches and you find yourself on a tight budget.

Otherwise, you could turn down the multiplier, or the rep rewards as you said.  Or you could allocate less money to Funds and give your Construction and Research departments more budget.

Edited by severedsolo

12 hours ago, severedsolo said:

If you are planning to go interplanetary, in my experience this is a problem that solves itself later in the game - I turn on Rep Decay (at about 5/10%) - although I have plenty of money in the "Apollo era" - when I'm going interplanetary it's not unusual for a launch to cost me 400-500k funds which obviously takes a big chunk out of the budget. Without flying other missions, the rep is decaying between launches and you find yourself on a tight budget.

Otherwise, you could turn down the multiplier, or the rep rewards as you said.  Or you could allocate less money to Funds and give your Construction and Research departments more budget.

Thanks! By the way, what happens if I uncap the budgets? Does the remainder get redistributed according to the next budget allocation percentages, or does it stay in its respective department?

3 hours ago, Tonas1997 said:

Thanks! By the way, what happens if I uncap the budgets? Does the remainder get redistributed according to the next budget allocation percentages, or does it stay in its respective department?

The departments still get allocated the monthly budget, as per the allocations. The only difference is that your funds aren't capped, so you'll get given the "funding" departments money on top of your existing funds.

• 4 weeks later...

I recently completed an experiment that yielded 165 science points, but I couldn't find it on the "research" panel and didn't get the science yet. My yearly capacity is at around 150 points, so do I need to wait for the next budget?

Also, I'm playing with Kerbalism's science module, but it hasn't given me trouble so far.

Edited by Tonas1997

3 minutes ago, Tonas1997 said:

I recently completed an experiment that yielded 165 science points, but I couldn't find it on the "research" panel and didn't get the science yet. My yearly capacity is at around 150 points, so do I need to wait for the next budget?

Also, I'm playing with Kerbalism's science module, but it hasn't given me trouble so far.

If Kerbalism has generated the science then it should show in the research panel. Can I get a log from the time the experiment completed (and thus should have been passed to Bureaucracy).

49 minutes ago, severedsolo said:

If Kerbalism has generated the science then it should show in the research panel. Can I get a log from the time the experiment completed (and thus should have been passed to Bureaucracy).

Hmm, sadly I restarted the game after that playthough :/ 

Oh well, I'll write that experiment to the Bureaucracy scenario in my persistent.sfs file and look out for any further problems.

EDIT: for reference, I'm still playing on 1.4 as my modpack runs on KSP version 1.10 rip

Edited by Tonas1997

1 hour ago, Tonas1997 said:

EDIT: for reference, I'm still playing on 1.4 as my modpack runs on KSP version 1.10 rip

Nothing has changed with research between 1.4 and 1.5 so if you do figure it out get/manage to get a log I'd still be interested in seeing it.

Roger! I did manage to find the old log somewhere else but it didn't show anything out of the ordinary: the experiment was correctly registered by Bureaucracy. Here's the player-prev.log, if you want to take a look. The experience is called "RP0RPWS1@SunInSpaceLowNoBiome".

In the meanwhile, my probe entered another SOI, started recording the same experiment and now Bureaucracy promply displayed it as being researched, so it could have been a one-time thing lol

Also, would it be easy/possible/not-much-of-a-bother to backport the UI fixes to 1.4? When I have a lot of queued experiences it's impossible to read the research window - and I can't imagine the nightmare it will be once my astronaut roster grows past its own as well! :D

• 4 months later...

Hey, thanks for your work. Bureaucrazy is really fun. I started a new save with it and I'm enjoying it. Just wanted to give a suggestion.

sliders.png

Three sliders to adjust the budget would be nice to have. Not sure how difficult they are to implement. Just wanted to give a polite suggestion here. And again, thanks for your work.

• 2 weeks later...

Think something broke for me, and can't quite figure out why. Attached ksp.log

Using Kerbalism, and got a bunch of science added to Bureaucracy. Examples here:

[LOG 07:26:36.391] [Bureaucracy]: New Science Received SITE while in space high over Kerbin's Water for 5.701193 science
[LOG 07:26:36.391] [Bureaucracy]: Added new event: kerbalism_SITE@KerbinInSpaceHighWater
[LOG 07:26:36.391] [Bureaucracy]: Registered new science event SITE while in space high over Kerbin's Water for 5.701193 science
[LOG 07:26:36.391] [Bureaucracy]: New Science Received SITE while in space high over Kerbin's Grasslands for 7.176843 science
[LOG 07:26:36.391] [Bureaucracy]: Added new event: kerbalism_SITE@KerbinInSpaceHighGrasslands
[LOG 07:26:36.391] [Bureaucracy]: Registered new science event SITE while in space high over Kerbin's Grasslands for 7.176843 science

After speeding time a bit though, I looked at the science window, and had recieved barely any science, but it was all gone. Looking through the ksp.log, there are no completion messages for these science experiments.

I don't think I have had any issues before this, but this science appears to just have disappeared into the void.

Full ksp.log:

https://gist.githubusercontent.com/Tallmyr/a01ab10c667be028a6beacd0e5e20992/raw/10071c71fa24b39deea36f4d4cb2e1597a56d6e1/ksp.log

• 4 weeks later...

Great mod! Adds a whole new layer of strategy and planning. Love it! 

Request/Idea: Add a config parameter to set an alarm offset ahead of the actual budget deadline. Could be useful to set the auto alarms to occur a few minutes before the new budget allocations go into effect.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.