[1.12.x] Bureaucracy - Monthly Budgets, Reimagined (1.6.1 - 16/03/2023 (Final release))

severedsolo

Bureaucracy 1.1.3 Released

• Fix Kerbal Deaths not being registered.
  • Add Launch Costs to the UI

Known Issue: Crew Report won't show unhappy Kerbals, and Kerbals aren't actually quitting either (kinda related).

That will have to wait though, I'm not very well and can't concentrate right now, but I felt the death penalty was important enough to warrant a partial fix.

Edited by severedsolo

14 minutes ago, severedsolo said:

Bureaucracy 1.1.3 Released

• Fix Kerbal Deaths not being registered.

Known Issue: Crew Report won't show unhappy Kerbals, and Kerbals aren't actually quitting either.

That will have to wait though, I'm not very well and can't concentrate right now, but I felt the death penalty was important enough to warrant a partial fix.

Hope you get to feeling better soon, thanks for the partial fix, no one would have faulted you for waiting till you were better. 

A question when you feel like it, is there a way to see how much the maintenance costs of a building increase when it's leveled up? some line in a config somewhere? is it configurable? I don't know if there is already something there I'm just missing or not. 

Edited by vardicd

1 minute ago, vardicd said:

A question when you feel like it, is there a way to see how much the maintenance costs of a building increase when it's leveled up? some line in a config somewhere? is it configurable? I don't know if there is already something there I'm just missing or not. 

It's just BaseCost*FacilityLevel*<any random event multipliers> - so while it doesn't actually show you, it is linear.

Edited by severedsolo

So I started a new save to try the Kerbalism mod, and I don't know if it was just KSP being KSP, if it was some artifact of me just upgrading Bureaucracy, or if there is some {random/occasional?} interaction with Kerbalism going on, but I couldn't add the runway to the upgrade list. I was able to add the launchpad, VAB and SPH, but when I tried to add the runway, nothing happened, no popup. Removing Kerbalism allowed me to put it in for upgrade, so I cancelled it and I re-added kerbalism to test it, and the second time around, it worked no problems.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hb6x1twgq55zgsw/Player B-K.log?dl=0 Throwing the log in here just in case. 

6 minutes ago, vardicd said:

So I started a new save to try the Kerbalism mod, and I don't know if it was just KSP being KSP, if it was some artifact of me just upgrading Bureaucracy, or if there is some {random/occasional?} interaction with Kerbalism going on, but I couldn't add the runway to the upgrade list. I was able to add the launchpad, VAB and SPH, but when I tried to add the runway, nothing happened, no popup. Removing Kerbalism allowed me to put it in for upgrade, so I cancelled it and I re-added kerbalism to test it, and the second time around, it worked no problems.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hb6x1twgq55zgsw/Player B-K.log?dl=0 Throwing the log in here just in case. 

According to your log it worked.... do me a favour and pass me your save too please.

Edit: Never mind you said it worked the second time, so what I'm looking for won't be there.

Anyway, according to the log it worked, so maybe just a visual bug.

Edited by severedsolo

5 minutes ago, severedsolo said:

According to your log it worked.... do me a favour and pass me your save too please.

Edit: Never mind you said it worked the second time, so what I'm looking for won't be there.

Anyway, according to the log it worked, so maybe just a visual bug.

I figured there was just a chance it was KSP being KSP, strange nonsense events. I'll let you know if it pops up again.

Just now, vardicd said:

I figured there was just a chance it was KSP being KSP, strange nonsense events. I'll let you know if it pops up again.

If it does happen again, save the game (do a quicksave if you don't want to risk your persistence) and ping me the save and the log.

Oh, also (just a general tip) - to save me wading through the log, when something happens, can you put something like: BUG HAPPENED HERE in the console? (if you open the debug menu it will let you type).

3 hours ago, severedsolo said:

If it does happen again, save the game (do a quicksave if you don't want to risk your persistence) and ping me the save and the log.

Oh, also (just a general tip) - to save me wading through the log, when something happens, can you put something like: BUG HAPPENED HERE in the console? (if you open the debug menu it will let you type).

I'll try that

@severedsolo I just had random event fire: {trying to hid beneath spoiler, in case anyone reading doesn't want details for random events spoiled, never done this before so hope i get it right}

Spoiler

'Strike" happen, some accident occurred and I'm suddenly paying James Westmoreland 20% more funds to prevent him from suing me. But I'm not seeing this reflected in the astronaut complex. I don't know if it's just not working, or if 20% is so small of an amount that KSP isn't adding it to the display? Now admittedly, I'm not good with math, and my engineer room-mate isn't awake to check my math, but at a base rate of 750 funds per cycle, I think a 20% boost would put him near 900 funds per cycle, and I zipped along to the start of the next budget cycle to see if it would change with the next month's payroll but no dice.

JozbAlN.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fe59t4oc004610v/Player Event.log?dl=0 I forgot to post the link to the log

Edited by vardicd

@severedsolo Just had the bug with being unable to upgrade the runway, got a log, and remembered to add "bug occurred here" in the console, at least i hope i did that right. save file too

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jdey5ojbyerixhg/AACufF67fcT9PUZ3O_6Gbwj-a?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6xnky4h8c9rwvr0/Player Runway bug again.log?dl=0

Exiting KSP and restarting again seems to have cleared the issue, allowing me to order an upgrade of the runway, of note, however, upon restart, all the upgrades I'd already ordered, launchpad, VAB, and SPH, had disappeared out of the construction tab and had to be re-ordered. it was a fresh start so there was no progress on them, just the orders had vanished. don't know if that's relevant. 

Edited by vardicd

Bureaucracy 1.1.4 Released

• Fix Unhappy Kerbals not being processed.
  • Potential fix for an NRE when upgrading a building
  • Fix Morale showing NegativeInfinity when a kerbal is about to quit
  • Fixed Wage Modifiers from random events not applying properly (I think)

@vardicd - I think this fixes all the outstanding issues you had? Let me know if I missed one.

If you could go one night without finding a bug that would be great ;) (in case it's not clear, that's a joke)

7 hours ago, severedsolo said:

Bureaucracy 1.1.4 Released

• Fix Unhappy Kerbals not being processed.
  • Potential fix for an NRE when upgrading a building
  • Fix Morale showing NegativeInfinity when a kerbal is about to quit
  • Fixed Wage Modifiers from random events not applying properly (I think)

@vardicd - I think this fixes all the outstanding issues you had? Let me know if I missed one.

If you could go one night without finding a bug that would be great ;) (in case it's not clear, that's a joke)

I mean, I can't promise anything.

@severedsolo I'm afraid I may be about to not wait a day before dropping some bugs on you, first, a question about kerbal morale:

Is Kerbal morale supposed to drop to 0 with a single death? or is it supposed to step down slightly? because 1 dead Kerbal later, Melba seems completely done.

mOhzgEJ.jpg

Second, it seems that after upgrading versions, my buildings have decided they are all maintenance free, as my facility maintenance costs are now 0?

D3YBBJb.jpg

The save specific config for Bureaucracy:

AutoBalanceSettings = False
ShowKCTWarning = False
ContractInterceptorEnabled = True
HandleKSCUpgrades = True
HandleScience = True
StopTimeWarp = True
UseItOrLoseIt = True
HardModeEnabled = False
RepDecayEnabled = False
AstronautTrainingEnabled = True
RandomEventsEnabled = True
RandomEventChance = 0.100000001
TimeBetweenBudgetsDays = 30
RepToFundsMultiplier = 2227
ScienceToFundsMultiplier = 1000
RepDecayPercent = 0
AdminFacilityBaseCost = 3000
AstronautComplexBaseCost = 3000
MissionControlBaseCost = 3000
SPHBaseCost = 2000
TrackingStationBaseCost = 4000
RndBaseCost = 6000
VABBaseCost = 3000
ModFacilityBaseCost = 6000
BaseLaunchCostSPH = 500
BaseLaunchCostVAB = 3000
CrewBaseWage = 1500
LongTermMissionBonusPerYear = 5000
LongTermMissionBonusPerDay = 30
BaseStrikesBeforeKerbalQuits = 6
StrikeMemoryMonths = 6
DeadKerbalRepPenaltyPercent = 5

And hey, here's a log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/iqfbzlgb0013v81/Player dead kerbal and maintenance bug.log?dl=0

EDIT: I just rolled back to the previous version and started a new save to check the maintenance costs display and it's still showing 0 costs there, but i feel like i remember that having a cost value at one time, going to jump back a few versions, may even go back to a beta version and test again, see if I'm remembering wrong and that field was always blank, and if not, which version it went blank on.

EDIT 2: I decided to test on the previous version by upgrading a couple of facilities and discovered, facility maintenance costs start showing a value once a facility has been upgraded to level 2, level 1 facilities are just maintenance free>? that can't be right, is that how it's supposed to work?

EDIT 3: I just rolled back to the earliest version of Bureaucracy I have saved, which is one of the early beta versions, and the maintenance cost show 0 funds for level 1 facilities even that far back, so at this point I'm not sure if that was intentional design plan, or oversight? 

Edited by vardicd

41 minutes ago, vardicd said:

Is Kerbal morale supposed to drop to 0 with a single death? or is it supposed to step down slightly? because 1 dead Kerbal later, Melba seems completely done.

Melba is an exceptionally clever kerbal, with very low courage, she has little tolerance for danger. (working as intended, but one shot is probably a little harsh, especially considering you can't save them from quitting at the moment).

Level 1 facilities is a new one on me, I didn't change that so I'm intrigued, can I get the save please

16 minutes ago, severedsolo said:

Melba is an exceptionally clever kerbal, with very low courage, she has little tolerance for danger. (working as intended, but one shot is probably a little harsh, especially considering you can't save them from quitting at the moment).

Level 1 facilities is a new one on me, I didn't change that so I'm intrigued, can I get the save please

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hrvw06k261sw5ib/AABX-CErhRmgC1pQ0QR0T69Ba?dl=0 

Here's the save, I've tested multiple versions of Bureaucracy, from the first beta version I tested for you, all the way up to the current version, and I see 0 fund costs for level 1 facilities, from the earliest versions all the way up to now, I don't know if I never noticed it, or if I've got some mod that's messing with how Bureaucracy works. Was about to do a clean install test to see if it's there with just Bureaucracy and maybe KCT.

Edited by vardicd

1 hour ago, vardicd said:

Tested on a clean install, Bureaucracy and KCT only, and level 1 facilities continue to show no maintenance costs.

Same save or a new one? Because it was definitely working in Beta.

My working theory is the upgrade NRE stopped Bureaucracy from saving and it's messed up your save. I can code a fix to put it right, but I need to know whether it's a "your save" problem, or an "all saves" problem.

Just now, severedsolo said:

Same save or a new one? Because it was definitely working in Beta.

My working theory is the upgrade NRE stopped Bureaucracy from saving and it's messed up your save. I can code a fix to put it right, but I need to know whether it's a "your save" problem, or an "all saves" problem.

I tested on a clean install Bureaucracy and KCT only, new save. Is there some change I've made to the Bureaucracy settings that might be causing problems?

Also, after I noticed it on my main saves, every test I did, including all the older version tests, were on new saves.

2 minutes ago, vardicd said:

I tested on a clean install Bureaucracy and KCT only, new save. Is there some change I've made to the Bureaucracy settings that might be causing problems?

Also, after I noticed it on my main saves, every test I did, including all the older version tests, were on new saves.

So much for my working theory...

Alright that sounds reproducible enough, I have a suspicion I know what the problem is, I will look at it in a bit.

1 hour ago, severedsolo said:

So much for my working theory...

Alright that sounds reproducible enough, I have a suspicion I know what the problem is, I will look at it in a bit.

@severedsolo I've done some further tests, for double checking my own results:

Install list:

Spoiler

7rGFUNn.png

Each version tested below will involve completely deleting the Bureaucracy folder and installing a different version clean, no drag drop and overwrite. Each test will be a new save, and I will delete the MM files after each test to ensure it's not some how ghosting things between versions. {don't know if that can be a thing, just being OCD about it.

KCT+ Dependencies and Bureaucracy beta version 0.2 + Dependencies

• Default settings= Maintenance Costs show
  • Custom settings= Maintenance Costs show

KCT+ Dependencies and Bureaucracy version 1.1.4 + Dependencies

• Default settings= No facility maintenance costs.
    Spoiler

•  
    • HB6XUec.jpg

KCT+ Dependencies and Bureaucracy version 1.1.3 + Dependencies

• Spoiler
    • GoT4M34.jpg

KCT+ Dependencies and Bureaucracy version 1.1.2 + Dependencies

• Spoiler

Hr0UMKL.jpg

KCT+ Dependencies and Bureaucracy version 1.1.1 + Dependencies

• Spoiler

XswvQMr.jpg

KCT+ Dependencies and Bureaucracy version 1.1 + Dependencies

• Spoiler

A1tJrDM.jpg

KCT+ Dependencies and Bureaucracy Beta release candidate 1 + Dependencies

• Spoiler

LLpOXRY.jpg

and one final time, just to verify I get the same results as my first test: KCT+ Dependencies and Bureaucracy beta version 0.2 + Dependencies

• Default settings= Maintenance Costs show
  • Spoiler

Vob813B.jpg

I only see maintenance costs with the older beta version that identifies itself as 0.2 in the default settings config This version: https://www.dropbox.com/s/oghj917srcypprq/Bureaucracy3.zip?dl=0

Every version I load after that one, I don't see any maintenance costs. Sadly I didn't save all of the beta versions, so i'm not sure what changed after that version, nor where it changed, to affect my results. I will be happy to redo these tests as my time allows, and provide you with any additional information you want, logs save files, whatever. I was running through the tests pretty quick, as I needed to leave, 10 minutes before i started the tests, so i didn't stop to save logs, but my own OCD wouldn't let me walk away till I had double checked myself, and these are the results.

I guess I just hadn't noticed all this time that the costs had stopped showing up, I only noticed this time, because a random event fired that was supposed to increase my facility costs by 20% and was curious what that was going to put me at, looked and saw 0 cost.

Edited by vardicd

2 hours ago, vardicd said:

Every version I load after that one, I don't see any maintenance costs. Sadly I didn't save all of the beta versions, so i'm not sure what changed after that version, nor where it changed, to affect my results. I

Based on what I just fixed, when I wrote the mod I realised the facility level is a 0 based index, but for some reason removed that extra check before release

Bureaucracy 1.1.5 Released

• Fix Maintenance Costs being applied for one level below actual facility level.

5 minutes ago, severedsolo said:

Based on what I just fixed, when I wrote the mod I realised the facility level is a 0 based index, but for some reason removed that extra check before release

Bureaucracy 1.1.5 Released

• Fix Maintenance Costs being applied for one level below actual facility level.

will check after work today.

and who knows, maybe this time I'll manage a full 24 hours with no bugs. :D;)