[1.12.x] Bureaucracy - Monthly Budgets, Reimagined (1.6.1 - 16/03/2023 (Final release))

severedsolo

Well, the KCT launchpad upgrade work around works for sure, just got the pop up that i had the wrong launch pad selected as my Minmus mission was 8 days out from Kerbin return, and the upgrade couldn't complete. got it switched over after landing and the upgrade completed, so that's working as expected. ;)

I will check and see if my in-progress constructions complete as soon as I install the new version of Bureaucracy.

Congratulations on the release, @severedsolo! I really appreciate you being attentive to players' concerns. Thank you for all your hard work.

The bit with kerbalism and it's science trickle makes me wonder how Kerbal Konstructs laboratories will be interpreted by Bureaucracy. In KK, you can set down a lab, higher kerbals to run it, and then it gives you a certain amount of science every so often. I will let you know what it seems like it's doing once I get one set up.

58 minutes ago, theonegalen said:

The bit with kerbalism and it's science trickle makes me wonder how Kerbal Konstructs laboratories will be interpreted by Bureaucracy. In KK, you can set down a lab, higher kerbals to run it, and then it gives you a certain amount of science every so often. I will let you know what it seems like it's doing once I get one set up.

I mean, I'm not trying to intercept every bit of science ever. If a mod wants to use AddScience then I'm just going to leave that alone (too many headaches, and if the mod is using "AddScience" they are deliberately bypassing the experiment system).

The issue specifically with Kerbalism is that its also invoking the experiment system (by firing OnScienceReceived). That's the cases that need to be handled.

@severedsolo May have a problem for you, I did a mission to Minmus, and got science from 3 different biomes, and got it back to Kerbin, over 200 points, then shut down the game, I just booted up to test something for Linuxgurugamer, and all 200+ science instant completed. I don't know if it's related to the instant complete construction bug that happened before, I wasnt doing science when it happened before, and i wasn't doing construction this time.

EDIT: I was doing construction, I was upgrading a new launch pad from level 1 to level 2, and it DID complete at the same time the science instant completed.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wzixgahibetdrjc/Player BB.log?dl=0 Link to log.

Edited by vardicd

@vardicd*sigh* something was niggling at me when you said you got a instant upgrade when you put the new version in.

At work at the moment, but I've got a pretty good idea what it is. I bet I'm loading in the wrong order, if it is that it should be easily fixed.

Re construction and science, if it's happening to one, it will happen to both. The event is set up to loop through all managers every time it fires, it's just if the manager doesn't have any logic to do something with it, nothing happens.

Just now, severedsolo said:

@vardicd*sigh* something was niggling at me when you said you got a instant upgrade when you put the new version in.

At work at the moment, but I've got a pretty good idea what it is. I bet I'm loading in the wrong order, if it is that it should be easily fixed.

Re construction and science, if it's happening to one, it will happen to both. The event is set up to loop through all managers every time it fires, it's just if the manager doesn't have any logic to do something with it, nothing happens.

I don't know if it would have any bearing on it, but for full clarity, the test i was running for Linuxgurugamer involved loading a previous version of his mod, Launch numbering. both times I've gotten the instant complete was on mod changes, updating the version of Bureaucracy last time, and now rolling back the version of Launch numbering. I don't know how or why of if, changing versions of another mod would affect Bureaucracy, but I don't know if it could be relevant, so I figure I should mention it.

Bureaucracy 1.1.1 Released

• Fixed issue where "incremental progress" would try and catch up from Y1 D1 the first time the mod is loaded. The fix is retroactive, so you may see this bug one more time when launching the save after upgrading.

Technical explanation in spoiler

Spoiler

KSP is a difficult game to do "constant updates" with. Your choices are basically "check every frame" - which is usually too much, or "check at a set interval" which runs the risk of too much time passing at high timewarps.

I chose the latter, for performance reasons. To counteract this, Bureaucracy records the (in game) time it last ran the update, and then "catches up".
The idea was that when the mod first loaded, it would read the current ingame time, and use that as it's starting point.

The problem is, that Bureaucracy was loading before the system that reports the time did, meaning when it was asking for the time, it was getting 0 (or Y1D1). Meaning Bureaucracy thought it had never ran an update, so you were getting funding from Y1D1 to <whatever time it is in your game>. The simple fix was to save the last update, rather than relying KSP to provide the time. Because its expecting a time in the future, if it gets 0, it wouldn't run anyway.

Edited by severedsolo

35 minutes ago, severedsolo said:

Bureaucracy 1.1.1 Released

• Fixed issue where "incremental progress" would try and catch up from Y1 D1 the first time the mod is loaded. The fix is retroactive, so you may see this bug one more time when launching the save after upgrading.

Technical explanation in spoiler

Reveal hidden contents

KSP is a difficult game to do "constant updates" with. Your choices are basically "check every frame" - which is usually too much, or "check at a set interval" which runs the risk of too much time passing at high timewarps.

I chose the latter, for performance reasons. To counteract this, Bureaucracy records the (in game) time it last ran the update, and then "catches up".
The idea was that when the mod first loaded, it would read the current ingame time, and use that as it's starting point.

The problem is, that Bureaucracy was loading before the system that reports the time did, meaning when it was asking for the time, it was getting 0 (or Y1D1). Meaning Bureaucracy thought it had never ran an update, so you were getting funding from Y1D1 to <whatever time it is in your game>. The simple fix was to save the last update, rather than relying KSP to provide the time. Because its expecting a time in the future, if it gets 0, it wouldn't run anyway.

Downloaded, will test and let you know if i hit any snugs after i get some sleep. Have now been awake for 25 hours or so. :confused:

11 hours ago, theonegalen said:

I will check and see if my in-progress constructions complete as soon as I install the new version of Bureaucracy.

Congratulations on the release, @severedsolo! I really appreciate you being attentive to players' concerns. Thank you for all your hard work.

A good observation. Forgot about the KK stuff.

My guess is that, lore-wise, we could consider KK generated science "Already Processed"(tm), or outsourced from the normal Bureaucracy-bureaucracy, so it doesn't need to be processed again before the points show up to spend. :D 

Edited by Beetlecat

@severedsolo Is there anything that Bureaucracy could be with the changes to the tracking station/ranges that might block probe craft from getting connected to KSC? I've got a craft in Minmus Orbit, showing no connection to Kerbin, despite the map view showing a green connection through the relay sats. The first picture shows a connection because I took a picture of the craft before i lost direct connection to kerbin, the other 2 are the same craft after it orbited behind Minmus, and lost connection, even thought it shows a connection through the relay. I'm not aware of any other mods I'm using that affect antenna's or ranges. 

Torxc8f.jpg

YfXYo5K.jpg

df73xRr.jpg

Edited by vardicd

38 minutes ago, vardicd said:

Is there anything that Bureaucracy could be with the changes to the tracking station/ranges that might block probe craft from getting connected to KSC? I've got a craft in Minmus Orbit, showing no connection to Kerbin, despite the map view showing a green connection through the relay sats. The first picture shows a connection because I took a picture of the craft before i lost direct connection to kerbin, the other 2 are the same craft after it orbited behind Minmus, and lost connection, even thought it shows a connection through the relay. I'm not aware of any other mods I'm using that affect antenna's or ranges. 

The only mod I can think of that sometimes does that is OhScrap! but I can see you aren't using that.

Easy to way to see if it's Bureaucracy - back your save up and disable the CBK config (just take it out of GameData) see if that fixes it. - I say back it up, because it will mess up your facilities, but it's an easy way to tell

Edited by severedsolo

I like how the entire time I was trying this and testing it while it was in beta my antivirus gave no concerns about downloading new versions, but now that it's officially released, every time I go to download a new version, my antivirus has a conniption fit about it, instantly throws it in quarantine, and I have to go through the steps to un-quarantine, and restore it before it'll let me use it. {insert extremely over dramatic eye roll here}

@severedsolo I just had my first Kerbal death event since I started using Bureaucracy, and neither of my remaining Kerbals suffered any morale hit, but it also seems my rep didn't take any hit, and strangely seems to have gone up? as my monthly projected budget is now higher than it was before the accident. I admit, I think I turned my kerbal death rep penalty down [DeadKerbalRepPenaltyPercent = 5} I didn't have a death event with previous versions, so I don't have a basis for comparison, but I feel like something didn't work right here, and I don't know if it's down to my changed settings, or if something just didn't work correctly. Have you had any experience with death events, or do you think the changed value could have something to do with it, or is there some other setting that may have some effect on this?

These are the 2 kerbals, not showing any morale hit, and their courage stat doesn't seem higher than average, so I'm not sure what the % chance for them to just shrug off the morale penalty is?

jRCaOw5.jpg

Also I am using a couple of mods that affect Kerbals, so i don't know if those are affecting the way Bureaucracy affects them? Name generator and earn your stripes.

Edited by vardicd

2 minutes ago, severedsolo said:

@vardicd Entirely possible it's not working (now I think about it it didn't get tested at all) but have you got a log for that session anyway?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/95epe4iqvb2jg8g/PlayerBL.log?dl=0 There's the log from the save where it happened, there's been a couple of launches since it happened. 

Got another dead Kerbal on my hands and again not seeing any morale hit on the one guy remaining. 

8 minutes ago, vardicd said:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/95epe4iqvb2jg8g/PlayerBL.log?dl=0 There's the log from the save where it happened, there's been a couple of launches since it happened. 

Oh are you frigging kidding me.

FF: kerbal status change: Jerry Turk from Assigned to Dead at time 882302.194328848

Kerbals have ALWAYS gone missing before they went dead, so I was checking for Missing, and not Dead. Now they go straight to Dead. Yeah that's a bug.

3 minutes ago, severedsolo said:

Oh are you frigging kidding me.

Kerbals have ALWAYS gone missing before they went dead, so I was checking for Missing, and not Dead. Now they go straight to Dead. Yeah that's a bug.

Maybe it can be either, depending on your difficulty settings of if Kerbals are allowed to respawn or not? I don't know, just thinking.

1 minute ago, vardicd said:

Maybe it can be either, depending on your difficulty settings of if Kerbals are allowed to respawn or not? I don't know, just thinking.

That's what it's supposed to do :P - I was checking for "Missing" because Kerbals always used to go "Missing" then if you had respawn turned off, they would go "Dead" - now it seems they go straight to dead with that option off, so I'll check for both.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.