Transferring Fuel to a Stranded Craft

Ok, so I managed to rendezvous with a craft that had run out of fuel, and I planned to transfer enough fuel to it to deorbit (connected with a grabber claw), but I can't figure out how to transfer the fuel! I know I've done this before by holding Alt and right-clicking both tanks, but this doesn't seem to work now. Yes, I have upgraded my R&D to Level 2.

PYIWvgj.png

Not sure what's going on with the fuel transfer, but... now that you've grabbed it, any reason you can't just use the rescue ship's engine to deorbit them?

(Yes, I realize that doesn't actually solve the specific question, which must be vexing. Just a thought, in terms of the end goal.)

As a diagnostic/troubleshooting experiment: What happens if you try to, say, transfer monoprop between two of those little radial spherical tanks that are both on the rescue ship? Does it work, or no?

21 minutes ago, Snark said:

Not sure what's going on with the fuel transfer, but... now that you've grabbed it, any reason you can't just use the rescue ship's engine to deorbit them?

(Yes, I realize that doesn't actually solve the specific question, which must be vexing. Just a thought, in terms of the end goal.)

As a diagnostic/troubleshooting experiment: What happens if you try to, say, transfer monoprop between two of those little radial spherical tanks that are both on the rescue ship? Does it work, or no?

Same thing with the monopropellant; there's just no transfer menu that I can find. And I suppose it's possible to deorbit them both together, but the thrust vector would have a lot of torque and may waste all the fuel before deorbiting. (The orbit is close to the Mun's orbit, so it'll take a lot of delta-v to get home.

Well, it basically means that you either (1) are mistaken about the Level of your R&D building, (2) you are playing a modded game that is interfering with fuel transfer, (3) your game download is slightly corrupted, and you need to do a file verification.

57 minutes ago, bewing said:

Well, it basically means that you either (1) are mistaken about the Level of your R&D building, (2) you are playing a modded game that is interfering with fuel transfer, (3) your game download is slightly corrupted, and you need to do a file verification.

Ah, I do have a few mods installed: Environmental Visual Enhancements, Kerbal Engineer, Module Manager (which just has a module that lets you mine xenon).

Also, the fact that I have the grabbing tool proves my R&D is at least level 2. X3

22 hours ago, Flexico said:

Ok, so I managed to rendezvous with a craft that had run out of fuel, and I planned to transfer enough fuel to it to deorbit (connected with a grabber claw), but I can't figure out how to transfer the fuel! I know I've done this before by holding Alt and right-clicking both tanks, but this doesn't seem to work now. Yes, I have upgraded my R&D to Level 2.

I could be wrong, but is it not the case that if a fuel tank is separated by certain parts, such as structural parts or decouplers, that the fuel cannot flow between them?

3 hours ago, Klapaucius said:

I could be wrong, but is it not the case that if a fuel tank is separated by certain parts, such as structural parts or decouplers, that the fuel cannot flow between them?

For some types of fuel yes, for others no. Monoprop does not obey crossfeed rules, AFAIK. So that should always be available to transfer, no matter the design of the ship.

10 hours ago, Zeiss Ikon said:

Still using Windows  (just by way of asking the questions you wouldn't think to ask)?  If you've switched to Linux recently, you need to use right-Shift in place of Alt.

That would be it! Thanks much. :3

55 minutes ago, Flexico said:

That would be it! Thanks much. :3

I always change my Linux key to Alt.  Of course that means you also need to disable the Alt-key in your window-manager (either globally, or just exempt the KSP window specifically) assuming your window manager uses Alt for something special (most do hence the different default key when playing in Linux).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.