Colony building ?

Dinarte

1 hour ago, Master39 said:

A2Z8VLp.png

3NWsYls.png

Runway, domes, hangar, colonial Vab, towers dishes, fuel depots and fuel factories.

The runway make me think of an aircraft carriers without catapults. 
Russian_aircraft_carrier_Kuznetsov.jpg

Better have some JATO rockets on your spaceplane. 

We see the VAB with an launch platform, I would be nervous trying to land on that. 
An hangar or probably the spaceplane and rover construction plant. Assume the domes are greenhouses. and the cylinders next to it is hab modules and other buildings for kerbals. 
Lots of fuel tanks and I guess the parts in front is storage of part or raw materials. 
Something who looks like an oil drilling tower who I assume is for drilling and two mystery buildings. One square with an ramp up to it and one with multiple cylinders. Guess later is some sort of refinery. 

I'm real jazzed to hear "there will be metallic hydrogen fuel factories in our game". KSP 1's ISRU situation is so simple it's ridiculous. Good to see more comlex resource chains are going to be possible in KSP 2. I can imagine some planets will be more abundant with resources than others.

11 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

two mystery buildings. One square with an ramp up to it and one with multiple cylinders.

The square buildings look to be hangars of some type, the cylinders are a cluster of triangle shaped containers.

Just now, magnemoe said:

It looks like an oil drilling tower so I guess its for ISRU

I think we're on the same page. It looks very intricate and nice. The bottom image looks to be on Duna given the pinkish soil, but what about the top? Laythe? Some new planet with an atmosphere? Kerbin's shores?

32 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

Better have some JATO rockets on your spaceplane. 

Since I first saw those runways I'm thinking only one thing:

I really hope we will be able to make movable space colonies with the new huge engines.

2 hours ago, shdwlrd said:

Personally I don't think jump ramps are necessary for the runways, but at least we know now that runways and ramps are going to apart of the colonies.

Seed ships is another obvious idea, make that base around Jool mobile stuffing it on top of an orion or something better. 

How many minutes from KSP2 launch to some is in orbit around another star. 

Well I do like what I'm seeing, but the proof as always is in the pudding. I love the idea that there'd be a nod to real physics and believability but my main concern is that the mechanics are really solid and the game is actually fun. Above all else mechanics make or break games. If there's a smooth but challenging progression and well balanced, multiple strategies for success each with their own pros and cons and varying synergies depending on how you combine them and juggle and convert different resources I'll be very happy. This could be especially important if they're thinking of ways to integrate life support--the way you can turn hydrogen and oxygen into water and back for instance--some really simplified nod to that could make for a lot of clever gameplay. 

On 2/20/2020 at 12:08 PM, magnemoe said:

You know; now I'm actually wondering if we'll have some form of (Completely optional )EM acceleration for constructed runways. That isn't too useful on Kerbin, but on a moon or similar body a Electromagnetic Catapult could contribute a significant portion of making orbital velocity in a fairly short distance to a payload or craft.

It would also make sense for something like Orion; gravity is less so you don't need as much oomph to get it off the ground. So using an EM catapult to get Orion to a decent height before engaging the drive would be a viable way to preserve any colonies on the surface; assuming you didn't want to build it in orbit for whatever reason.

On 2/20/2020 at 12:43 PM, Master39 said:

I really hope we will be able to make movable space colonies with the new huge engines.

Indeed; i would just settle for a mobile VAB though. One of the worst parts of KSP is that at no point is it ever really possible to salvage a craft that has had damage done to it; if you break landing legs or accidentally clip a solar panel or radiator while on EVA then they're gone for the duration of the mission. This means even with Hyper-Reusable ships that every mission has an effective half-life; simply because you WILL make mistakes while conducting it.

With a mobile colony/mobile VAB you could effectively explore independently for as long as you wanted; even crashing the mobile ship itself and simply using the husk to regenerate while recovering the botched missions around it.

4 hours ago, Incarnation of Chaos said:

You know; now I'm actually wondering if we'll have some form of (Completely optional )EM acceleration for constructed runways. That isn't too useful on Kerbin, but on a moon or similar body a Electromagnetic Catapult could contribute a significant portion of making orbital velocity in a fairly short distance to a payload or craft.

It would also make sense for something like Orion; gravity is less so you don't need as much oomph to get it off the ground. So using an EM catapult to get Orion to a decent height before engaging the drive would be a viable way to preserve any colonies on the surface; assuming you didn't want to build it in orbit for whatever reason.

Indeed; i would just settle for a mobile VAB though. One of the worst parts of KSP is that at no point is it ever really possible to salvage a craft that has had damage done to it; if you break landing legs or accidentally clip a solar panel or radiator while on EVA then they're gone for the duration of the mission. This means even with Hyper-Reusable ships that every mission has an effective half-life; simply because you WILL make mistakes while conducting it.

With a mobile colony/mobile VAB you could effectively explore independently for as long as you wanted; even crashing the mobile ship itself and simply using the husk to regenerate while recovering the botched missions around it.

I've never been much of a fan of planes or space planes in the game but the idea of an Electromagnetic runway propulsion rail to save on Delta-V required to get to orbit would make me an instant space plan fan.

The base building aspect is whats making me the most excited, after numerous catastrophic Karaken attacks spawning from time warps, I'm curious on how they're going to be stable (as stable as KSP can be) and how some of the in game mechanics will affect it such as time warp. I'm curious to see how detailed the base building is down to the location of adding air locks I wonder if there's going to be options for a harder game play such as weather events or meteor strikes and implement defenses for this. While having the goal of fuel manufacturing and extra-planetary launches in mind for base building, I hope they don't forget that the reasons for progressing ships to how far they can reach is for exploration and expand on what KSP did for Breaking Ground with science

8 hours ago, Incarnation of Chaos said:

An sort of catapult would be very nice not only for planes but also cargo ships 

I assume the orbital base will be movable unless they do something very weird. 
I'm also curious how how orbital bases is build and how the orbital shipyard work and that the difference is. Also how it will work if you dock an ship and entered build mode. 
Two objectives here, first is to repair or upgrade ships or change their role. 

Second is the seedship idea, scale down the orbital shipyard add an huge engine and dock some mining ships to it. Send it on an grand tour. 

A great video I missed watching until tonight was ShadowZone's interview with a KSP 2 Developer. A lot of good info involving base building. I love the fact that they're creating it as a building challenge as well. Some celestial bodies they're adding wont be as easy to build on nor will you be able to build as aggressively tall structures due to the higher gravity. Apparently terrain forming will not be in the game, which I'm glad.

On 2/20/2020 at 7:18 PM, prestja said:

I'm real jazzed to hear "there will be metallic hydrogen fuel factories in our game". KSP 1's ISRU situation is so simple it's ridiculous. Good to see more comlex resource chains are going to be possible in KSP 2. I can imagine some planets will be more abundant with resources than others.

Well, I'm jazzed to hear that there will be fuel factories for specific types of fuels. The stock KSP1 ISRU is too simplistic and OPd (not that I don't use it :p ).

I am not jazzed about anything metallic hydrogen related, but that's the subject of another thread.

One thing that I'm not sure of, is if there are certain types of fuels that you *need* a colony to produce: they aren't available in sufficient abundance on Kerbin. Metallic hydrogen (if it must be in the game) should not be one of these fuels. IRL, about the only fuel that we wouldn't have in sufficient quantities on Earth, but could mine elsewhere, would be Helium-3. Now... if we were looking for large masses of hydrogen to be sent into deep space, regularly, I'd get a bit concerned in the long run since Earth doesn't have all that much hydrogen by mass (our ocean's aren't deep at a planetary scale), and I'd prefer skimming hydrogen from the tops of gas giants... but for launch vehicles whose exhaust returns to Kerbin, its not an issue. Fueling up a massive interstellar ship or two should also be fine.

On 2/23/2020 at 5:11 PM, savagekerbal said:

I've never been much of a fan of planes or space planes in the game but the idea of an Electromagnetic runway propulsion rail to save on Delta-V required to get to orbit would make me an instant space plan fan.

Who says you need a spaceplane? an angled EM launch ramp on an airless body like Tylo would still be very useful for instance.... even if it only shoots your craft out at 300 m/s at 30 degrees to level... that's still 150 m/s vertical (nearly 19 seconds before you start coming down again on Tylo), and 260 m/s horizontal, which would certainly help with making a SSTO tylo lander.

While we're at the carrier and catapult comparison, how about arrestor wires for landing spaceplanes or wheeled rockets? Those concept art runways look awfully short

Edited by KerikBalm

3 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

IRL, about the only fuel that we wouldn't have in sufficient quantities on Earth, but could mine elsewhere, would be Helium-3.

If KSP 2 continues the trend of Jool being analogous to Jupiter, then Jool would be a prime candidate for harvesting Helium-3. Helium-3 is one of the propellants involved in inertial confinement fusion (ICF). In the cinematic reveal trailer you can see an ICF powered ship departing a Jool station and going interstellar. 

This gives me enormous hope that certain fuels will require missions outside of the scope of Kerbin, and that colony building might be essential for interstellar progression.

4 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

While we're at the carrier and catapult comparison, how about arrestor wires for landing spaceplanes or wheeled rockets? Those concept art runways look awfully shor

I can see someone taking that and making a carrier with the runways.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2020 at 5:52 AM, KerikBalm said:

Well, I'm jazzed to hear that there will be fuel factories for specific types of fuels. The stock KSP1 ISRU is too simplistic and OPd (not that I don't use it :p ).

I am not jazzed about anything metallic hydrogen related, but that's the subject of another thread.

One thing that I'm not sure of, is if there are certain types of fuels that you *need* a colony to produce: they aren't available in sufficient abundance on Kerbin. Metallic hydrogen (if it must be in the game) should not be one of these fuels. IRL, about the only fuel that we wouldn't have in sufficient quantities on Earth, but could mine elsewhere, would be Helium-3. Now... if we were looking for large masses of hydrogen to be sent into deep space, regularly, I'd get a bit concerned in the long run since Earth doesn't have all that much hydrogen by mass (our ocean's aren't deep at a planetary scale), and I'd prefer skimming hydrogen from the tops of gas giants... but for launch vehicles whose exhaust returns to Kerbin, its not an issue. Fueling up a massive interstellar ship or two should also be fine.

Who says you need a spaceplane? an angled EM launch ramp on an airless body like Tylo would still be very useful for instance.... even if it only shoots your craft out at 300 m/s at 30 degrees to level... that's still 150 m/s vertical (nearly 19 seconds before you start coming down again on Tylo), and 260 m/s horizontal, which would certainly help with making a SSTO tylo lander.

While we're at the carrier and catapult comparison, how about arrestor wires for landing spaceplanes or wheeled rockets? Those concept art runways look awfully short

True, just a direction of creative thought I was thinking of.

On 2/28/2020 at 9:17 AM, prestja said:

If KSP 2 continues the trend of Jool being analogous to Jupiter, then Jool would be a prime candidate for harvesting Helium-3. Helium-3 is one of the propellants involved in inertial confinement fusion (ICF). In the cinematic reveal trailer you can see an ICF powered ship departing a Jool station and going interstellar. 

This gives me enormous hope that certain fuels will require missions outside of the scope of Kerbin, and that colony building might be essential for interstellar progression.

That's exactly one of the primary directives of colony building. Watch the interviews with KSP2 Developers, after asked about Colony Building the instant jump of attention goes to metallic hydrogen manufacturing.

On 2/28/2020 at 4:52 AM, KerikBalm said:

They do, but remember that those runways were also built. Unless they restrict the size of a given construction the player can have (Really doubtful if they're planning on entire REFINERYS) then your runway is just limited by materials and time.

All said though; you won't find me saying no to some arrestor wires and tail hooks.

• 4 weeks later...

Suppositions:

1. There will be establish colony contracts
2. There will be transport colonist contracts
3. The contracts will generate similar to the establish base and station contracts.
4. There will be a new selectable "crew" type colonist
5. Required tech will be late game. Prototype tech will start to appear at roughly level 9, with final and heavy versions at about level 12.