Which feature of KSP 2 attracts you the most?

Which feature of KSP 2 attracts you the most?   

120 members have voted

1. 1. Which feature of KSP 2 attracts you the most? (you may choose more than 1 option)

• New solar systems (and planets)
    • Better graphics
    • Colonization (making new ships on the Mun)
    • Fast and stable physics engine (minimum krakens and lags)
    • New engines and parts (using Orion drive for ahem, testing the survivability of the launchpad)
    • Multiplayer
    • New kerbal emotes (Haha)

1 minute ago, Incarnation of Chaos said:

Interstellar travel while novel; is just more of the same.

I think that depends on what you want out of the game or how you see the game in the 1st place.

I can see it being more of the same if you just look at as ( launch -> orbit -> transfer -> land -> repeat )

But theres the mission leader perspective of running through a larger more nuanced solo campaign (progression focused)

The explorers perspective of seeking out new planets and wandering them to find beautiful vistas or hopefully new types of stellar objects like black holes, nebula, exotic stars, unique planet types (graphics focused)

The puzzle solvers perspective of takling landing on new worlds each having a unique approach required to succeed (new body type focused)

The engineers perspective of making new nozzle to reactor combinations (if this follows similar to the interstellar extended mods mechanics [hopefully it goes further]), fitting as many sub ships per ship as possible, breaking dV records (like bradley whistance, stratzenblitz, or scott manely), or just making massive spaceships/stations/colonies(thats new) (parts focused)

The newer social perspective of gathering multiple players to cooperatively make a more elaborate and faster building space program or compete in a space race or get BD armory and engage in anything from dogfights to interstellar space wars (multiplayer focused)

And plenty other ways that this can be played. All these ways are being heavily enhanced according to the few interviews we've had. To top it off if performance increases are anywhere near what Star Theory is touting (>1000 part ships with no lag) we'll all have a smoother time doing it. I seriously can't wait for this game to drop and see where it goes... and then come the freaking mods

I saw DOTA come out of warcraft 3 custom servers (not my cup of tea personally) as well as hundreds of game types that had nothing to do with the original game and I saw similar out of counterstrike  1.6 servers. Factorio has battle servers now.... I think this community as a whole is severely underestimating the benefit and replayability the multiplayer is about to bring to this game. I give it no more than 5 years before there's a freaking starwars mod with empire vs rebels game types if this game comes out 75% as good as its being told it is.

23 minutes ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

I think that depends on what you want out of the game or how you see the game in the 1st place.

I can see it being more of the same if you just look at as ( launch -> orbit -> transfer -> land -> repeat )

But theres the mission leader perspective of running through a larger more nuanced solo campaign (progression focused)

The explorers perspective of seeking out new planets and wandering them to find beautiful vistas or hopefully new types of stellar objects like black holes, nebula, exotic stars, unique planet types (graphics focused)

The puzzle solvers perspective of takling landing on new worlds each having a unique approach required to succeed (new body type focused)

The engineers perspective of making new nozzle to reactor combinations (if this follows similar to the interstellar extended mods mechanics [hopefully it goes further]), fitting as many sub ships per ship as possible, breaking dV records (like bradley whistance, stratzenblitz, or scott manely), or just making massive spaceships/stations/colonies(thats new) (parts focused)

The newer social perspective of gathering multiple players to cooperatively make a more elaborate and faster building space program or compete in a space race or get BD armory and engage in anything from dogfights to interstellar space wars (multiplayer focused)

And plenty other ways that this can be played. All these ways are being heavily enhanced according to the few interviews we've had. To top it off if performance increases are anywhere near what Star Theory is touting (>1000 part ships with no lag) we'll all have a smoother time doing it. I seriously can't wait for this game to drop and see where it goes... and then come the freaking mods

I saw DOTA come out of warcraft 3 custom servers (not my cup of tea personally) as well as hundreds of game types that had nothing to do with the original game and I saw similar out of counterstrike  1.6 servers. Factorio has battle servers now.... I think this community as a whole is severely underestimating the benefit and replayability the multiplayer is about to bring to this game. I give it no more than 5 years before there's a freaking starwars mod with empire vs rebels game types if this game comes out 75% as good as its being told it is.

Don't get me wrong; i do think they're going to extract a ton of value from other solar systems. My primary point is at the end of the day KSP is a game about building, launching and directing rockets, and that part of the experience should be rock solid. Once that's perfected; all else will follow from it fairly easily.

1 minute ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

Thats my point, it might not always be that way.

Everything else is an extention of that one system though; even if you had a campaign mission or something. It's all going to depend on you being able to assemble a vehicle to do the job and get it somewhere. Everything else is just bolted on top; which is fine.

7 minutes ago, Incarnation of Chaos said:

It's all going to depend on you being able to assemble a vehicle to do the job and get it somewhere.

I dont see this guy playing that way...

Spoiler

Sure someone had to build the jets but you're telling me no mod for a server could provide prebuilt vehicles, a bank for a team, tell the teams to do combat, and getting somewhere isn't necessarily the objective? 

You're argument is very similar to someone coming on a warcraft 3, an RTS game, custom server where people are playing sheeps vs wolves (campy game thats hard to describe) or DOTA (a MOBA) and saying that WC3 is a game about collecting supplies to build an army and combat other armies hopefully becoming the last team standing... Are these gametypes extensions of the sub-game engine? sure.. Did these gametypes resemble the game they're based off of in a way other than the graphics? Not really, no

5 minutes ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

I dont see this guy playing that way...

Reveal hidden contents

Sure someone had to build the jets but you're telling me no mod for a server could provide prebuilt vehicles, a bank for a team, tell the teams to do combat, and getting somewhere isn't necessarily the objective? 

You're argument is very similar to someone coming on a warcraft 3, an RTS game, custom server where people are playing sheeps vs wolves (campy game thats hard to describe) or DOTA (a MOBA) and saying that WC3 is a game about collecting supplies to build an army and combat other armies hopefully becoming the last team standing... Are these gametypes extensions of the sub-game engine? sure.. Did these gametypes resemble the game they're based off of in a way other than the graphics? Not really, no

So he assembled a vehicle.....so he could go and fight other players.......i honestly don't see your point here.

If i want to play a Combat Flight Simulator i'm going to boot up one of the Il-2 series or Warthunder, and they'll both be superior in terms of gameplay, realism and performance. If i want to play an RTS then i'll go download C&C 3 for the 15th time or get on Civ V with my buds. These games are designed from the ground up so that their systems play well with the mechanics needed; KSP isn't because it's not about dogfighting, commanding an army or anything else.

KSP is about exploration, wonder and science, and i'm happy that people are able to transform it into what they want. And iv'e been massively impressed by the work iv'e seen with BDA, FAR and others, but none of that changes that the game was built for one primary loop. It's optimized in the areas that benefit that loop; not others.

But that shouldn't distract from that core gameplay, and that's what needs to work smoothly. Because 99% of players won't be using anything else; they won't be recalling flying over the mean skies of kerbin in an F-15 and the close call they had with another pilot. They'll be plotting manuevers, launching massively overbuilt stacks of boosters into orbit and building colonies.

So that's what needs to work smoothly; the people who do this stuff know they're a niche case and will be fine with some teething issues. Again it's not that i'm hostile towards the idea that people are going to play differently; it's that if the core loop isn't made as buttery smooth as possible there won't be a KSP2 for them to play at all.

5 minutes ago, Incarnation of Chaos said:

So he assembled a vehicle.....so he could go and fight other players.......i honestly don't see your point here.

If i want to play a Combat Flight Simulator i'm going to boot up one of the Il-2 series or Warthunder, and they'll both be superior in terms of gameplay, realism and performance. If i want to play an RTS then i'll go download C&C 3 for the 15th time or get on Civ V with my buds. These games are designed from the ground up so that their systems play well with the mechanics needed; KSP isn't because it's not about dogfighting, commanding an army or anything else.

My point was the game doesn't have to be what were told it is supposed to be or what it is optimized for. We have no clue what can come out of this game and I find that exciting. 

In the Il-2 series or Warthunder you cant make your own craft to battle with someone else's custom made jet, though I doubt KSP will become an RTS.

8 minutes ago, Incarnation of Chaos said:

KSP is about exploration, wonder and science, and i'm happy that people are able to transform it into what they want. And iv'e been massively impressed by the work iv'e seen with BDA, FAR and others, but none of that changes that the game was built for one primary loop. It's optimized in the areas that benefit that loop; not others.

But that shouldn't distract from that core gameplay, and that's what needs to work smoothly. Because 99% of players won't be using anything else; they won't be recalling flying over the mean skies of kerbin in an F-15 and the close call they had with another pilot. They'll be plotting manuevers, launching massively overbuilt stacks of boosters into orbit and building colonies.

So that's what needs to work smoothly; the people who do this stuff know they're a niche case and will be fine with some teething issues. Again it's not that i'm hostile towards the idea that people are going to play differently; it's that if the core loop isn't made as buttery smooth as possible there won't be a KSP2 for them to play at all.

Im not suggesting that optimizing the core engine of the game shouldn't be the priority of Star.Theory, that's largely what will allow the unoptimized nature of mods to greater thrive, leaving them more room for inefficiencies to not bog down gameplay. But ultimately I was refuting your saying this game will be "more of the same", perhaps i misunderstood what you meant/how you meant it though. Either way I can't wait for this thing to launch and I wish Star.Theory would just give us anymore actual info... D:

3 minutes ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

My point was the game doesn't have to be what were told it is supposed to be or what it is optimized for. We have no clue what can come out of this game and I find that exciting. 

In the Il-2 series or Warthunder you cant make your own craft to battle with someone else's custom made jet, though I doubt KSP will become an RTS.

Im not suggesting that optimizing the core engine of the game shouldn't be the priority of Star.Theory, that's largely what will allow the unoptimized nature of mods to greater thrive, leaving them more room for inefficiencies to not bog down gameplay. But ultimately I was refuting your saying this game will be "more of the same", perhaps i misunderstood what you meant/how you meant it though. Either way I can't wait for this thing to launch and I wish Star.Theory would just give us anymore actual info... D:

I was mostly going by the thread title :P 

And i was basically assuming stock, and just saying that while new systems and colonization are awesome they gotta nail down that core pillar if they want them to enhance gameplay instead of reveal the limitations under the hood.

But yeah; with the deeper modding access i do think we'll see some incredible mods come out of the woodwork. And likely the optimizations will trickle down and help performance for them also; i do wonder how Physics Range Extender would wrestle with physics LOD though.

As for info i can wait; i waited for FO4 for years and got a meme of a game in return. So iv'e conditioned myself not to hype myself up over the years.

Also i'm pretty sure it would be easier to roll your own RTS in Unity/Unreal than mod KSP into one o.O

1 minute ago, Incarnation of Chaos said:

Also i'm pretty sure it would be easier to roll your own RTS in Unity/Unreal than mod KSP into one o.O

Agreed :P

But who knows man, a new genre of game could appear out of this. Never heard of a MOBA until one got built in a custom server of an RTS

4 minutes ago, Incarnation of Chaos said:

But yeah; with the deeper modding access i do think we'll see some incredible mods come out of the woodwork. And likely the optimizations will trickle down and help performance for them also; i do wonder how Physics Range Extender would wrestle with physics LOD though

Never tried it, never saw a use for it in solo really, but I can see its possible necessity in MP though

8 minutes ago, Incarnation of Chaos said:

As for info i can wait; i waited for FO4 for years and got a meme of a game in return. So iv'e conditioned myself not to hype myself up over the years.

Thats part of why I'd like info, I'd rather not be hyped for something that got completely misguided (largely from lack of fan input) or just flat out didnt perform close to what was touted. IMO it would be nice if ST would ask the forums once in a great while something like "So what do you guys think so far?" or "is this the direction the overall community was hoping for?"

I can see that getting messy with a bunch of backseat programmers but it's not like they have to listen to everything, or anything for that matter, that the community suggests. Maybe even when it gets closer to launch they could release a beta (with DRM) that only includes the Kerbin system so modders can get a head start and we can all find the limitations of the game or its bugs while the core mechanics are being implemented so it has the best release that it can. Maybe then we could avoid some of the problems squad had where the base code couldn't be changed much because there were too many dependencies on the core functions of the game and nip them in the bud before there's that many dependencies.

Bethesda might also benefit from such a strategy seeing how their games have been lately... *cough* FO76 *cough*

1 hour ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

Agreed :P

But who knows man, a new genre of game could appear out of this. Never heard of a MOBA until one got built in a custom server of an RTS

Never tried it, never saw a use for it in solo really, but I can see its possible necessity in MP though

Thats part of why I'd like info, I'd rather not be hyped for something that got completely misguided (largely from lack of fan input) or just flat out didnt perform close to what was touted. IMO it would be nice if ST would ask the forums once in a great while something like "So what do you guys think so far?" or "is this the direction the overall community was hoping for?"

I can see that getting messy with a bunch of backseat programmers but it's not like they have to listen to everything, or anything for that matter, that the community suggests. Maybe even when it gets closer to launch they could release a beta (with DRM) that only includes the Kerbin system so modders can get a head start and we can all find the limitations of the game or its bugs while the core mechanics are being implemented so it has the best release that it can. Maybe then we could avoid some of the problems squad had where the base code couldn't be changed much because there were too many dependencies on the core functions of the game and nip them in the bud before there's that many dependencies.

Bethesda might also benefit from such a strategy seeing how their games have been lately... *cough* FO76 *cough*

Only reason i have it is FMRS tbh, and leave it disabled when i can.

Honestly i'd imagine they'd have their PR people host any AMA-like stuff, so the trolls/haters would be filtered out well before they'd reach corporate. As for the rest; i'd love to see a closed private beta for modders.

2 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

Physics LOD system to enable higher part counts is #1 for me.

Thrust while timewarping is number 2.

Colonization seems cool, I will rank it as 3rd

Gosh that'll make big ion/VASMIR ships actually bearable; though most times i never end up building them because of the sheer costs of the propellant. It's way easier to manage a large nuclear ship with a lander & IRSU combo than a big Ion/VASMIR setup with the needed propellant/reactors and also the dropship. Great stuff for long-haul probes or satellites that need to go into weird orbits around other planets even now though.

On 2/1/2020 at 3:34 AM, Incarnation of Chaos said:

I didn't play well with others as a kid; that's why i'm a gamer in the first place xD

Interstellar travel while novel; is just more of the same.

And the kracken will always be close....

It's not really more of the same. While interstellar travel may seem boring, pairing that with INTERSTELLAR BASE BUILDING will be the best combo a game like KSP could ask for. Want to build a huge base hanging over a canyon? Sure! Want to build a base balancing on a mountain in super low gravity? Sure! The list goes on. 

On 2/5/2020 at 4:35 PM, Vinhero100 said:

It's not really more of the same. While interstellar travel may seem boring, pairing that with INTERSTELLAR BASE BUILDING will be the best combo a game like KSP could ask for. Want to build a huge base hanging over a canyon? Sure! Want to build a base balancing on a mountain in super low gravity? Sure! The list goes on. 

At the end of the day it's still about getting the payload there in the first place; that's my entire point. Am i excited about being able to build a mun base and launch from there? A massive fuel depot on minmus?

HELL YES

But that just makes the primary gameplay easier; which is building, launching and piloting rockets. Which is the gameplay i care about; i have 2X Vega 56 a Ryzen 1700 and 16GB of ram and it doesn't matter past 255 parts. So while all of these other features are cool; i want to actually be able to use them. I want a physics system that doesn't turn into a slideshow past 255 objects, i want legs and wheels that won't make me tremble in fear each time they come near the ground because of the possiblity that they'll send the craft 40M into the air for some random reason, i want to PLAY KSP2 and not FIGHT with it constantly.

That's what i'm excited for, and that's literally all i care about. Because that will make everything else so much easier to enjoy, and will open up designs i can't even consider now.

So don't mistake me calling it "More of the same" as being dismissive or unimpressed; because i'm not. It's just i'm far more excited for the physics LOD system, so much that everything else pales in comparison. And it also makes everything else possible; the entire package KSP 2 is being sold as depends on their ability to pull it off.

• 7 months later...

Personally it's performance above all else.  As long as the advertised improvement are a thing, then I'm all set (Keeping in mind vanilla parts selection).  My absolute biggest craft was 900 parts. My second biggest was 775.  Usually even my motherships end-up being around 550-600 fully loaded/equipped with landers and stuff.
So if 1000 is "in the green" in KSP1 terms, then I'm al set to enjoy all other features of the game.

I'm curious at how easy/how much we get to remake some star systems tho.  I wouldn't mind recreating the fantasy "Gliese 581", that's the one that had like 6 planets, then sharing it with ppl or playing in it online.
Multiplayer, especially COOP multiplayer is very alluring to me.  Assuming I can find someone that fits my weird free-time schedule, I wouldn't mind playing with ppl from this forum. Even if it's only like a 3h block on sundays (and I hope we can design ships in advance and import them in-game, so the 4h block isn't all spent debugging why your SLS keeps blowing up, lol).

• 5 weeks later...
6 hours ago, sir rocket said:

colonization should have been in ksp1, and is my main selling point

KSP 1 is space agency

KSP 2 is space colonization

That's the goal of each game. That's why we haven't been getting supa large spacecraft parts.

For my part, it's multiplayer. I want to both cooperate and compete with a group of friends while exploring and colonizing space. Or maybe just to build a nice little orbital gas station for them to refuel their ships at. :3 I was really sad that KSP1 never got multiplayer, and that the mods that enable it aren't more stable and playable (which isn't the mods' fault; KSP1 just isn't built for it). Being able to play with others is the main reason I'm looking forward to KSP2. Everything else is either not all that important to me (graphics), or doable with existing mods that are stable and playable (colonization, new parts, etc).