What are your quirky habits in KSP?

Castille7

Add what are your quirky habits when playing KSP. I'm sure there are many out there, I have a few. I'll start with one of mine.....

Every time I begin to build something I have to start just a few feet from the floor

Edited by adsii1970
Making the forum a more happier place. :)

I never ever leave debris in a stable orbit. If for some reason I MUST do it (say a collision that leaves debris or I realize I won't have enough fuel to finish the misison/get home without dropping something NOW as opposed to when it's on a collision course with an SOI or world) then my #1 priority from that point on is deorbiting that debris.

This goes so far that I won't rescue Kerbals until I have a KLAW, lest I am forced to leave their pod in orbit.

On 1/26/2020 at 4:29 PM, Castille7 said:

Add what are your quirky habits when playing KSP. I'm sure there are many out there, I have a few. I'll start with one of mine.....

Every time I begin to build something I have to start just a few feet from the floor

Fairly new feature in Editor Extensions is to hit the letter "b", the root part will be centered and the whole vessel will be moved close to the floor.

My quirky habit is too many mods.  I just can't seem to make a career install with less than 180 mods.  But I keep trying

For me it is seeing a program thru to completion. I have these grand ideas of starting off with first rocket, probe, satt, manned landing etc then I look at how none of my fleet is resuable or based on a payload /series type and its a patchwork quilt so I quit and start over and then For me it is seeing a program thru to completion. I have these grand ideas of starting off with first rocket, probe, satt, manned landing etc then I look at how none of my fleet is resuable or based on a payload /series type and its a patchwork quilt so I quit and start overFor me it is seeing a program thru to completion. I have these grand ideas of starting off with first rocket, probe, satt, manned landing etc then I look at how none of my fleet is resuable or based on a payload /series type and its a patchwork quilt so I quit and start over.....

2 hours ago, Geonovast said:

No part clipping of moving parts.  Ever.

Yep this one I agree with too, it ruins the immersion, next to that would be clipping fuel tanks without draining a lil fuel at lest (I really should practice what I preach haha)

I can't leave undone science.  Meaning I   * HAVE *  to complete each biomes I land onto.
That kinda means relatively interesting designs for my science missions.  Especially earlier ok without all the nifty parts.

Other than that... NO WOBBLING.  If a craft Wobbles, I get wery wery angwy !

When I build relay networks or get into orbit my ap and pe are not more than 10m apart and for networks the orbital period difference is not more than 0.002 seconds. I also always am within 0.0 km separation when approaching a vessel I am docking. 

I hate the fact that when you Dock in orbit your orbital period glitches out a tiny bit and the ap and pe change by about 100m. Far better that it used to be but it drives me insane. 

The funny thing is that I am super accurate about many things but do not care a bit about saving delta v. Being accurate about orbits makes docking so easy. I guess that is why. 

On 1/26/2020 at 5:58 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

Fairly new feature in Editor Extensions is to hit the letter "b", the root part will be centered and the whole vessel will be moved close to the floor.

My quirky habit is too many mods.  I just can't seem to make a career install with less than 180 mods.  But I keep trying

And "knowing" you, you probably spend 50% of the time fixing compatibility issues and bugs within mods you use. 

14 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

I never ever leave debris in a stable orbit. If for some reason I MUST do it (say a collision that leaves debris or I realize I won't have enough fuel to finish the misison/get home without dropping something NOW as opposed to when it's on a collision course with an SOI or world) then my #1 priority from that point on is deorbiting that debris.

This goes so far that I won't rescue Kerbals until I have a KLAW, lest I am forced to leave their pod in orbit.

Exactly the same story here. Cant stand debris orbiting around and will go out of my way to clean it up. Always.

I understand the point of this thread and the innocent intentions behind it (I have a few KSP-related quirks myself), but I just want to add a personal note to the discussion for the OP and other commenters to reflect on.

As somebody who has been diagnosed with OCD, takes medication for it, and fights an all-day every-day battle in my own head against the manifestations of it, I find it really difficult to see people treat it as a funny personality quirk rather than the awful, life-destroying mental illness it is for many sufferers. OCD isn't term that should be used lightly and I feel that allowing discussions of this type to propagate on this forum without flagging this up is harmful to the few charitable organisations devoted to raising awareness of the reality of OCD and the harm that inappropriate use of the term can cause to those who suffer from it. 

Sort of conditional KSP quirky-habit was I had left 3 Kerbals on the Eve ocean at least 2 years ago. Last year I somehow got motivated but took 5 months to actually create everything needed to go there and save them. I was playing KSP a LOT, never had that motivation within KSP before, but the motivation left once the kerbals were saved.

Main quirky habit is finding bugs and doing bug reports.

For some reason I will find a bug or see someone complain about a bug and then go and investigate and try all sorts of things to figure out the exact cause before posting on the bug tracker

MODERATOR COMMENTS:

We were made aware of an issue by @PeteKonrad on an unintended poking of a very serious mental issue. In his post, PeteKonrad shared his struggles with the very real medical/mental health diagnosis of OCD. And his observations, once we discussed them among the moderator team, were correct. And this is why the thread was locked earlier.

Since then, I have reached out to both @Castille7 and @PeteKonrad to work out a solution that would not only allow this thread to remain open, but to make it more inclusive to the forum. It has never been our intent to cause anyone to feel as if we were taking health issues lightly or being dismissive of real medical conditions. We made the decision to leave PeteKonrad's post as is - and with his permission - as a learning tool for all who contribute to the forum. We need to be more aware of what we post and the words we use to convey our ideas. No one should ever feel shamed or picked on for visiting and contributing to our forum.

In agreement with all parties concerned and in the spirit of good will, we've changed any reference to OCD with "quirky habits" or some variation of those words. Let's face it - we all have our quirky habits and this thread is a great place to discuss them. No warnings nor penalties were applied to anyone who made a post containing the medical terminology above this post.

However, past this post, anyone who uses the term lightly (as discussed by PeteKonrad's post) will run the risk of more punitive moderator action.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.