Copy/Paste Between Craft?

I know to hold Alt+Left Click to copy a piece or group of pieces, but when I open another craft, the copied piece(s) disappear. Is there a way to copy something from one craft to another? For example, I built a new lunar lander and want to copy the rockets and booster system from an older one I made.

Just now, linuxgurugamer said:

Store it as an assembly first, then add it to the 2nd craft.  Another way would be to load the 2nd craft with a merge. And then put them together

How do I store it as an assembly? I didn't know that was a thing!

12 minutes ago, Fierce Wolf said:

I have 1000hrs + into KSP and never saw this!

Well, until I had 100 h or so (probably more) in KSP I would have liked to have seen something like this. :cool: (Same as: "enable advanced tweakables", "Kerbals on EVA have lights that can be switched on", etc.)

Edited by AHHans

13 hours ago, Flexico said:

For example, I built a new lunar lander and want to copy the rockets and booster system from an older one I made.

"Merge" was briefly mentioned above. I'll expand on that as an alternative to subasemblies. This might sound complex but it becomes easier after you've done it.

Load one craft first, then "merge" rather than "load" the second craft. The merged craft will start as gray because it's not connected. You can connect the 2nd craft and remove extra parts. Depending on the design of your old craft, do one of the following:

• Load the old rocket first, remove the old lander, keep a decoupler at top, then merge the new lander. Make sure to change the name before saving so you don't overwrite your original rocket.
  • Load the new lander first, merge the old rocket. Drag the old rocket to temporarily radially attach it, remove the old lander, then drag the lower stages to properly connect below your new lander.
    • If things won't radially attach but there's a free node at the top of your old craft, make that the root (press "4" in VAB or click on the reroot button), drag the old craft below your new lander, then shuffle parts to get the old lander out from the middle of the stack.
  • If you expect to continue building landers and want to share those lower stages, open the original rocket, remove the lander, then save it with a name like "Heavy Lifter 1". Build new landers then merge the saved lower stage.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.