[Concept WIP] SIMPLEX Colonial

theJesuit

Hi everyone.

I am considering a colonising mod that utilises Contract Configurator to allow kerbals to be 'spawned' on a base that you establish.

The idea is that you are tasked in a contract to establish a base.  The basic plan is that you have to launch and move several VERY heavy parts to a location on a body, possibly needing to construct in orbit to transfer them.  Once landed, the contract completes and CC deletes what you 

Once this base contract is complete, another contract fires giving initial kerbonauts. Hopefully you'll be able to see what types you are getting.  There will be a delay before getting ongoing contracts to receive them.  But  basically every half year or so another couple will pop out.

Bases will be scaled stock models (maybe re-textured?).  The idea is that each base is a closed arcology - no-one in, no-one out.  Colonials maybe treated as a resource if at all.

This would be a late game career only feature obviously.  Unless a modder wishes to create some code that gives the option of spawns a kerbal after a certain amount of time, perhaps connected to a resource - then it won't work in a science or sandbox game.

Happy for feedback.  I'm slowly working on this at the moment.  If someone thinks this is a great idea, has a different way of implementing it and releases under their own name/concept/whatever then I'd be happy with that!

Peace.

• 2 weeks later...

Restricting things to career mode isn't very cash money, a lot of people prefer sandbox and it will likely take even proficient players a really long time to receive these contracts. Many career saves die to version changes and deciding to un/install certain mods so it would be better to make the requirement simply having access to the largest rocket parts, which is far more reasonable and makes sense for heavy launch mass contracts.

I'd suggest that you implement launchpads and resource production in these bases so they have a more appealing function and that you continue having contracts to send kerbals to those bases and back. A closed arcology doesn't make sense until they declare independence (which ultimately requires several million of a population to be a reasonable pursuit, but would be a very fun mechanic especially if they spawn giant enemy crabs around their territory to shoot at).

This would be an interesting way of bringing KSP 2 to KSP 1 and I am interested. Could potentially be a huge mod

Edited by Autolyzed Yeast Extract

• 1 year later...

Okay everyone, this is an idea which is going to see the light of day!

LGG is adopting MoarKerbals and making some small GUI changes.  That will be the basis for this mod.

There will be a large Arcology colony part which is effectively a tank for a colonist resource.  When an actual kerbonaut is in the part then they can generate an interest resource using a convertotron module.

The interest resource is what is used by MoarKerbals to generate a kerbal, which under the hood will be cloning the recruiter kerbal and produce a civilian, but the immersion will show it being a enlisting... The lab will then be able to train them into a profession.

The kloning mechanism will continue to exist but will appear further up the tech tree.

In the Tetrix Techtree the colony will be available on the 8th tier and cloning then at the final 9th teir.

Would be pretty awesome to have most of the base build on the spot rater than carried there. I think that it would be nice to have it become mostly autonomous past a certain scale. Ideally I would say that it should not require complex logistics or large number of part. Once its done you could get crew/cargo mission that has it as a destination, with the liberty to do them or not. The playtrough could be something like this:

1:Exploration/prospection: Find a spot that has the needed resource for sustainability. (part production too if player want to use it to build stuff)
2:Bring the stuff to the base site.
3:Do some on the spot building.
4:Repeat until the base is autonomous.
5: leave the base alone, get some transport mission. (would be pretty neat if it would grow on its own from there)

The idea really is that it is a standalone part.  You have to fill it with colonists (let's say that the colonists are either in suspended animation (deep freeze) or self sufficient in their taxi (more likely) but you never see them.

The head canon is that there is no interacton with anyone outside to keep the environment regulated. You ship some more colonists in with a taxi tank,  but you can't move the interest resource.

At this stage you won't be able to 'retire' kerbonauts into the colony, although the 'accident' mechanic in MoarKerbals might  be the way to achive that.  I'll wait till Linuxgurugamer updates the mod to see if that's possible.

MoarKerbals doesn't have the ability to produce parts or lay them out in building them.  I'm thinking of a arcology part that is 200 tons or more.  You'll probably want to use Global Construction or Extraplanetary Launchpads for this really.  

Edited by theJesuit
does =/= doesn't

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.