Kānāwai: Ares to Mars

13 hours ago, PeteKonrad said:

Sorry to double post, but I was just reading through this fantastic thread again this morning and had a question regarding the Orion 1 mission. Do you think it is perhaps a bit risky for NASA to allow the first flight of a new engine (J2-X) on a rocket with 4 crew members aboard? Especially given the increased safety culture after Columbia, I wonder if they would perhaps go for an unmanned flight of the whole Ares I stack before allowing it to be flown with crew. 

You're probably right, but according to this mission list they didn't really call for an unmanned flight of the upper stage, only dummy versions of it.

Orion 5 to the ISS, Early 2017

Orion 5 lifting off from the KSC is starting to become a routine sight for the space program.

ohjdnOK.jpg

KpQZKBh.png

LSOgqEa.png

After Orion 5's arrival at the station, the crew of Orion 4 is relieved from their duties and is able to return home

4RoWNkH.jpg

rDci9jw.jpg

OwT0kc4.png

jElKj4t.png

Testing on the ground for future flights is going on as well. Starting off with the KS-68 which will power the Ares V rocket

LhpOX2E.jpg

tRYXEgx.png

Along side this, testing of what will become the descent portion for the lander goes on as well

xfJ3F3V.jpg

Both components are just small pieces in an otherwise bigger part of the puzzle that will be needed to return to the Mun.

Orion 6 to the ISS, Late 2017

Orion 6 launches without issues once again proving the capability of Orion and the Ares I. This is the first crew of 6 on the Orion.

hfAvLah.png

eAIuz91.jpg

TckmZ1b.png

ZcdTogD.png

4NikFHG.png

Fwuz8c9.jpg

Orion 5 returns home as well after fufilling its duties and Orion 6, 7, and 8 all go off without a hitch.

Ares V on the test stand, Late 2018.

Meanwhile on the ground, the Ares V is undergoing testing of the core stage and usage of all KS-68 engines.

2cZf7Qm.png

BG4EpND.jpg

After the test is successful final preparations for the first flight of the whole stack begin for a 2019 launch.

Bit of a lighter post today, but I wanted to use the opportunity to skip ahead quite a bit and get to the cool stuff coming soon.

Edited by Jay The Amazing Toaster

Really great post, your images continue to amaze! I'm trying to recreate your Orion myself using the mod list for my own attempt at a Kerbalised Constellation play-through, but I've got a snag. I'm sure the round solar panels are from Near Future Solar, scaled up to suit the service module better. However when I try and adjust them with TweakScale I'm not given the option to edit the scale. Would you mind sharing how you did this? Thanks!

3 hours ago, Barzon said:

You paste it into a notepad document, and save it as patch.cfg or whatever you want, as long as it has .cfg on the end

Hi, thanks for the help. I've done this, but I'm not sure where to place it. I've tried adding it to the NF: Solar patch directly but that hasn't worked either. Is it possible to edit the part directly? 

Ares V-Y, 2019

After years of development, the Ares V prototype vehicle sits on LC-39A. The largest rocket ever developed beating out the Sarnus V (Saturn V).
Core stage 6.25m diameter also making it the widest tankage ever used.

EQiXLqN.png

erXZODn.png

0DSSCvg.jpg

h3deNxV.png

4TW7wHT.png

hUOV8sG.png

8aQC6Mt.png

Kerbin Departure Stage

BIGI0fd.png

The Ares carries a dummy descent stage as a test payload.

xAezA9h.png

FVcWSCD.png

v8uhzCI.png

With the succesful launch, final preparations begin with one final test flight taking place before the return to Kerbin's Moon.

• 1 month later...
On 2/15/2020 at 5:47 AM, Jay The Amazing Toaster said:

Orion 5 to the ISS, Early 2017
Along side this, testing of what will become the descent portion for the lander goes on as well

xfJ3F3V.jpg

Both components are just small pieces in an otherwise bigger part of the puzzle that will be needed to return to the Mun.

what mod are you using for the lander? it isn't included in redirect

Edited by moguy16
OP request

10 hours ago, moguy16 said:

what mod are you using for the lander? it isn't included in redirect

I'm using Making Alternate History by @bcink (also try and cut the images out of the quotes so the thread isnt cluttered with repeat images)

Update: I haven't forgotten about this project, I'll return to it as soon as I find the time/motivation, college and recent world events has been totally draining up my time and energy. I have the screenshots of the next mission so I'll upload those when I can.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Orion 11 and Altair 1, 2020

Mission objective is to test the Altair in low orbit akin to how Apollo 9 tested the LM.

xaDhRl0.jpeg

s3jOibo.jpg

JbPTk6e.jpg

New RS-68B engines from Bluedog Design Bureau to help alleviate the problems with having ablative nozzles alongside SRB's
Also sporting new 5 segment SRB's from @DylanSemrau's Photon Corp

9y9Sisr.png

PvK8VNS.png

BIAPDiP.png

VSwp4gr.png

yFbdq3g.jpg

EGLmStT.png

Orion meets up with the Altair in low orbit

JDRP9En.png

Docking successful

Cosuu2z.jpg

Relight of the J-2X while pushing the Altair and Orion like how it will on a trip beyond low orbit

X6e9KYR.png

Now testing free flight of both craft where crew will enter the lander and test its capabilities. 

8TBQ85u.png

Xx7gu4d.png

Freeflight of the lander

49Cl6BF.png

TAgASzO.png

x0Qr9G4.jpg

After its freeflight test, Altair's ascent stage meets back up with the Orion

f1tIz6X.png

pUy0z4w.jpg

The Altair is subsequently discarded to prevent build up of space debris

SzcKxqa.png

Orion returns home and preparations begin for a flight to the Mun.

SI3vV8T.jpg

I'm glad to get this going again and next mission will be for landing on the Mun.
Thanks to @Zorg for the new RS-68B model thats in the BDB.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Orion 13, and Altair 2, 2020 - Crewed Landing on the Mun

With all preparations that have taken place, it's finally time to land on the Mun

aM30Mo7.jpeg

dy2LZ39.jpeg

bK5iwGB.jpeg

jF3ynJn.png

T0tUGY3.png

TGvZYN7.jpeg

efwLYhm.png

nxDW9S5.png

OtlhRgk.jpeg

saoDZWB.jpeg

The Altair does most of the legwork for the injection burn followed by Orion finishing it off

6U6eMUT.jpeg

GUMOQ2F.jpeg

The crew departs for the surface

226DASr.jpeg

9tWWtUM.jpeg

38WeJbA.jpeg

sQRg9z5.jpeg

For the first time in decades crew have finally touched down on the surface of their nearest celestial neighbor 

j77kzkF.jpeg

b6xJXWv.jpeg

The crew take a step out on the surface for the first time and probably say something poetic

fk7qBaE.jpeg

The rest of the crew join him to put up the flag

NADWze3.jpeg

After spending a couple days on the surface the crew return home

QsL7FgJ.jpeg

uk0JVLl.jpeg

7B44xoJ.jpeg

ZGBCuoZ.jpeg

8O7J7LL.jpeg

On the way home, a deep space EVA is conducted

PeoIaCC.png

4bugofd.jpeg

It feels good to finally reach this place in the timeline, thank you to everyone who has stuck with this several month long project. Stay tuned there's a lot more to come!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So I mentioned in one of my previous posts that there would be surprises, without further ado I would like to give a little sneak peak at some of what is to come.

Orbital MMSEV
screenshot65.png

2028 NTR Asteroid Survey Mission 
screenshot60.png

Lunar MMSEV
screenshot38.png

screenshot32.png

Lunar Outpost (final version may look slightly different from this)
Inspired by NASA's Constellation Architecture Team Lunar Scenario 12.0 detailed here; (https://ntrs.nasa.gov/citations/20100003415)
screenshot2.png

All of this has been thanks to @benjee10's amazing new part mod which allows for easy surface base construction and provides the MMSEV rover.

The next decade will be dedicated to lunar surface missions and surface base construction leading up to an eventual Mars/Duna mission. Stay tuned and check out Benjee's new mod!

Edited by Jay The Amazing Toaster