How many active kerbals are in your career save?

Mars-Bound Hokie

Kerbals in Career Save  

33 members have voted

1. 1. How many Kerbals do you have in your save now (TOTAL)?

• 5-15
    • 16-25
    • 26-35
    • 36-45
    • 46-55
    • 56 or more
    • 3 or less
  2. 2. Have you used the "Add Kerbal" cheat for your career save?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. (IF YOU ANSWERED "YES") How many

• 1-5
    • 6-10
    • 11-15
    • 16 or more
    • I didn't use the "Add Kerbal" cheat

Meh! Those little green buggers get stranded in LKO every other Tuesday (and Wednesday, Thursday, Friday...) And I actually get paid to pick them up.

(I have 75: 46 hanging out in space somewhere and 29 twiddling their thumbs on Kerbin.)

Edited by AHHans

I've got 15 of them, quite well balanced between jobs. Hired one or two of them (mainly because I needed an emergency rescue mission and no one was available). More than half of them are currently assigned to some space station or celestial body base, and with Crew R&R, I think I've got half of what's left currently on holidays.

I'm not using the rescue kerbal contracts though, but I relly on the Akademy contract pact to provide for kerbals when needed. And tourist pack also gimme some once in the while (with the space camp).

Now, if you count tourists in the roster, I tend to stack them in big pack (i've got thirty of them right now), to make efficient multiple tourist contracts in one flight.

1 hour ago, Curveball Anders said:

But I have sinned by hacking the save and altering professions now and then.

Well, what I do on occasion is to use the cheat menu to check the profession of a prospective rescuee - before deciding if they are going to be rescued.:cool:

3 hours ago, AHHans said:

(I have 75: 46 hanging out in space somewhere and 29 twiddling their thumbs on Kerbin.)

Actually only 43 are in space, three of the "active" Kerbals are crewing the Kerbin exploration plane and it's refueling rover that are currently parked on the apron in front of the SPH. So I guess they are also twiddling their thumbs on Kerbin.

Just now, AHHans said:

Well, what I do on occasion is to use the cheat menu to check the profession of a prospective rescuee - before deciding if they are going to be rescued.:cool:

Never realised you could do that.  Not a bad idea.  Bloody annoying when you rescue about 3 pilots in a row.  The most useless profession in the game IMO as all my craft get a probe core/RGS.  I currently have one on a possible suicide mission just because I can't be bothered with the 20 seconds comms delay when I'm trying to debug a kOS script :D

14 minutes ago, RizzoTheRat said:

The most useless profession in the game IMO as all my craft get a probe core/RGS.

Well, I also usually add a probe core to all my craft, so I could do without a lot of the pilots. But I like to have someone to blame when a landing goes wrong. ("Wasn't me! Jebediah crashed the plane, not me!" :cool:) It also helps to have control during the plasma blackout phase of reentry.

• 2 weeks later...

I use crew R&R and Kerbal Health, so in order to fit my playstyle, I always have three crews of three (pilot, eng and science, times 3). Upgrading all of them is half the fun in my careers. 

I used to either hire them or gather them in rescue contracts, but after dozens of careers, that stopped being fun so I just generate the ones missing with the debug tool. I only generate them at level zero, though. 

I use Add Kerbal for Tourists. It's a waste of Kerbal Resources to fly big, comercial crafts using engineers and scientists.

Not to mention the insurance premium, way more cheap for tourists. :sticktongue:

23 minutes ago, Lisias said:

I use Add Kerbal for Tourists. It's a waste of Kerbal Resources to fly big, comercial crafts using engineers and scientists.

Not to mention the insurance premium, way more cheap for tourists. :sticktongue:

But wait... if you ferry tourists around, will that generate revenue? Even without a contract?

1 hour ago, Daniel Prates said:

But wait... if you ferry tourists around, will that generate revenue? Even without a contract?

I had tweaked some contracts for regular flights long time ago, using Contract Configurator and KerbinSide. :) None of them really worked well enough to be published, but it was fun nevertheless.

I was trying to figure out a way to use Civilian Population on such stunts, but then TweakScale happened. :D 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.