First try at some space stations parts

I'm not a 3d artist, but I do some mechanical design in 3d. And I like the orange and grey color scheme in KSP, which is not well represented among the space station parts mod. Also, I'm kind of bored of the cylindrical + toroids habs, and I'm a fan of modular configuration, or honeybees. A system you can grow around, going in all directions, not only along an axis. Also, if you can use the same part for space and landed bases, that's a plus.

I've started to design some modules using FreeCad (yeah, not blender, but again, math, dimensions and mechanical constraints speaks to me, and I can export a mesh in whatever format I want, so I'll d the texturing, UVmapping and stuff using Blender). I've tried hexagons, but they're excrementsty at making a sphere with them, so I've gone octogonal (and triangles), to have a enclosure around a spherical modules.

FD1A288B1AC2B35412A99AAA774C0B82007E9BAC

The color are really not final, they just helps me with having an idea of it. The blueish parts are the windows, and I need to decide what to do with the top, I'll probably do some door / inside hatch system. The idea is to be able to stack them around, either by the faces, or by the triangular corners, and to add functionnality to them by adding triangular modules and adapters (1.5m parts should fit on those triangle faces).

I know it's not really going to be stock-like, but what do you think of it ? (yes, I need to add details, ladders, grab bar and stuff). I'm not sure about the top ring either, it kind of forces it to be the 'up' part of the module, while I'd like to have no such thing as top, and remains in a plug and play system.

I'm thinking about this a lot these days. Trying to figure out where to stack hatches and windows for instance. And since I'm rediscovering the Bernal Sphere concept , I'll probably settle with having a vertical axis of rotation of sort. Which could be used to connect struts and what not to the station.

Anyway, I'm not sure of how big those modules should be, and I need to work on how they tile themselves together (I'll probably use the sharp triangles as mooring points for utility mods of sort, or spaces for RCS and other needed stuff for space stations).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.