[GNU/Linux] Ugly white glow around Kerbin. Borked atmo shader?

Images speak louder than words. 1.8.1:

preview

preview

1.7.3 for comparison:
preview

preview

Present in all scenes where Kerbin is visible, other bodies untested. New to me as of 1.8.1, 1.8.0 not played or tested due to being an unmitigated dumpster fire. Not present in 1.7.3.
Unmodded.
KSP.log
Player.log
Bug report.
Gentoo GNU/Linux amd64 stable, Nvidia 440.44.

Anyone know if this is mitigated with settings / driver changes / some workaround? It's ugly, it's distracting, and it's properly disappointing to see yet another borked, untested GNU/Linux release right after the last SNAFU. How do I make it go away?

Ed. This:

WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/Nature/Terrain/Utilities' - All passes removed
WARNING: Shader Did you use #pragma only_renderers and omit this platform?
ERROR: Shader Shader is not supported on this GPU (none of subshaders/fallbacks are suitable)WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/Nature/Terrain/Utilities' - Setting to default shader.

Appears in my Player.log right before kerbin loads the first time (loading -> mainmenu) with 1.8.1, but not 1.7.3. I know SFA about shaders, but I assume they are in some unity blob I can't get at anyway...

Edited by steve_v

Shader is basically a program that runs on the Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) of the computer, and generates the visual output we see on the screen.By default Unity tries to use the best fancy shader available, but If some reason GPU doesn't support the shader Untiy tries to fallback to less expensive one.

22 minutes ago, vasyasukachev said:

Shader is basically a program that runs on the Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) of the computer, and generates the visual output we see on the screen.

While I am no expert on the matter,  I do know what a shader is.

22 minutes ago, vasyasukachev said:

Unity tries to use the best fancy shader available, but If some reason GPU doesn't support the shader Untiy tries to fallback to less expensive one.

This is fairly obvious, is it not?

I see that you are new here, and that's cool...  But your response reads like something intended for a five year old. As you may see by hovering over my username, I have been on this forum for some ~6.5 years.
That would make me at least seven, and even if I had not already been aware of the things you explained above, I could easily have discovered them by spending a few minutes with a search engine.

The questions here are two:
     a) Is this new ugliness introduced with 1.8.x related to the message regarding an incompatible shader.
     b) How do I fix it.

Do you have any light to shed on these questions?

Edited by steve_v

That's very hospitable of you @Vanamonde

I must admit I'm getting a little irritated by the lack of progress on this one, and I may have taken some of that out on the poster of the first, only, and not very useful reply.

Do you have any idea what's going on here? The bug report has been open for 3 months now, and there's been nothing useful there either, bar a single uninformed and unhelpful "try turning it of and on again".
This is clearly a regression in 1.8.x, and there's at least one other person experiencing it... The lack of any interesting comments whatsoever is beginning to chafe a little.

Uhh, guys, I'd kinda prefer suggestions over likes... Not trying to be ungrateful or anything, but this all has gone and upped the reply counter on this thread without adding any useful information.

Edited by steve_v

Haven't noticed this before, but now that I saw your topic I can confirm it's also happening here, and it's even worse when you look Kerbin from close (i.e. from a vessel at low orbit).

Sorry for another unhelpful post, as I have no idea what's causing this, but I bet it has the same cause as the blurry textures.

Edited by Vinil

2 minutes ago, Vinil said:

I bet it has the same cause as the blurry textures.

I suspect the same. You are running an Nvidia card with the proprietary drivers, right?

Edited by steve_v

8 minutes ago, Vinil said:

Yes, but I just discovered that it's not exclusive to Nvidia cards. I was talking about this with someone on reddit and he confirmed the issue (running on integrated graphics).

As I see both problems in that reddit post you linked, I think at this point we can say that both this one and yours are nothing to do with GPU drivers. IME they're likely just another borked GNU/Linux build from @SQUAD, the undisputed champions of QA testing and bugtracker management.
These people either don't test or simply don't care, GNU/Linux release quality went right down the crapper as soon as 1.0 was out. :mad:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.